Here we go again - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Here we go again

I read that bunnies can through a severe molt around their first birthday. Guess what! It appears that Oliver and Ophelia were approximately three and a half months when we got them.
They are both molting pretty good right now.
I am going to have more bald butted bunnies. Oh well.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 07:09 PM

aww!! *sends them some cotton balls to cover up*

got any bald bunny pix?? or do you wanna keep them from being embarrassed??
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 12:39 AM
Adolescent Pup

Were you ever able to find that grooming stone???

It has helped so much with Dude. I bring him out into the yard and plop him on the grass in front of me when I use it. Hair just flies out everywhere! It has been the best tool I've found for those heavy shedding days.

~ Debrya
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 06:36 AM
Super Moderator

Zeus hasen't had a big 1 year molt - He's had some pretty intense shedding last year though, which hasen't happened this summer yet. He has big sheds before winter starts, and usually before summer starts too.

Anyways, I just brush him extra (even tho he hates it!) and feed him extra paypia tablets to help in case he gets any hair in his tummy.

Last year Zeus had the funniest shed, it started with one single circle on his back so he had a spot for awhile, then the rest of him shedded and it went away.

Do your buns change color at all when they shed? Zeus changes shads, like to a darker or a lighter grey, it's weird.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Sorry guys I have not been checking in much. It's so busy during the summer and I have been trying to reread my Harry Potter books to get ready for the 5th movie and the 7th book.
Anyway...
I have not found the stone but I didn't look too hard. I thought I was through it so I got lazy. PetSmart just got rid of their horse section when I went into to grab one. I will just find it on line.
And they are white bunnies so no real color change - although you can tell it's the soft fluffy undercoat that is coming off. Oh they really hate it when I "pluck" them.
I have been giving them papya tabs as well.
As for the pics - I don't have any of Oliver and Ophelia but I have some of Penelope. I will try and get them up. She really looked pathetic when she molted.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 03:20 PM

Mine are doing the crazy molting too. I'm giving canned pumpkin to help with hairballs, it's a life saver that stuff.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Oh I have canned pumpkin I will give them some tonight. Thanks for reminding me about it!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 11:32 PM
can't think of one, help

my bunny looks motheaten when he molts, and just touching him starts the fuzzies flying. They are wicked in the contact lenses. Which of course I always end up with fuzzy bunnies in the contacts because he likes to cuddle under my chin. His fuzzy bunnies fly everywhere.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 10:56 AM
Adolescent Pup

LOL! You sound just like me! I'm also reading like crazy prepping myself for the next Harry Potter movie and book! I can't wait!

I hope you are able to find the grooming stone somewhere... even if it is online. I bought mine at a place called D & B Supply here in Idaho. It is a nursery/pet care/camping/clothing/and other things type of store. If you do find one... take a knife and cut it in half... it will be much easier to handle on the bunnies.

Looking forward to seeing pics soon!!!

~ Debrya
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 05:19 PM
can't think of one, help

Quote:
Originally Posted by claymatized View Post
LOL! You sound just like me! I'm also reading like crazy prepping myself for the next Harry Potter movie and book! I can't wait!

I hope you are able to find the grooming stone somewhere... even if it is online. I bought mine at a place called D & B Supply here in Idaho. It is a nursery/pet care/camping/clothing/and other things type of store. If you do find one... take a knife and cut it in half... it will be much easier to handle on the bunnies.

Looking forward to seeing pics soon!!!
where are you in Idaho, I used to live in Pocatello, a loooonnnnng time ago
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 08:29 PM
Adolescent Pup

I live in a small town outside of Boise...

and boy is it hot today. I'm glad my bunnies live inside now.

~ Debrya
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

What does that grooming stone thing look like? Like an actual stone? LOl, I know, stupid Q, but I wouldn't even know what to look for - sounds like it might be a useful thing to have though.

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 12:48 AM
Adolescent Pup

It is VERY useful! It almost looks like a cross between a pumice stone and a block of styrofoam. It really is shaped like a block... just a bit bigger than a chalkboard eraser. It is black in color and the one I got was big. I was able to cut it in half with a knife to make it easier to hold. But I tell ya... I just plop Dude in front of me on the grass and he just sits there while I brush him with it. The loose hair just flies off... and the hair that doesn't go flying clings to the stone. He loves it. You can google either horse grooming stone or horse grooming block and some sites should come up. It is the most amazing shedding tool... Dude seems to shed year round. I wish he would just molt twice/year! But yeah... if you can get your hands on one... I think you will be amazed at how well it works.

~ Debrya
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks, I'm definatly going to try to find one!

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 05:42 PM
is a little "special"

Sounds usefull... about how much $ is it, cause when Smudge molts I nearly drown in his fuzzies LOL! He never had that "One Year Molt" thing tho.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."