Hi! (and bedding question) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Hi! (and bedding question)

Hi all...

I'm new to this forum -- I just got a seven-month-old mini-rex doe named Brandy. She's finally beginning to trust us (she watched American Idol with my husband and I and came out of her cage by herself this morning!) ...

I have a question though... she has firestove pellets in her cage and she shoved all the pellets from the corner where she sleeps -- her former owner tells me she does the same thing with chips... I'm guessing that wouldn't be very comfortable! I was thinking of getting a small pet bed or a bit of lambswool -- does anyone else's bun do this?

--- CarolnBrandy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 11:59 AM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

A large misconception is that rabbits need bedding. They really don't. I have one bunny that hates all things bedding and she loves sleeping on the "hard ground." I wouldn't worry about it.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks Millimi!

I guess that makes sense, as in the wild the only "bedding" bunnies have is grass. I just got Brandy this past Saturday so I'm still new to a whole bunch of stuff. She's amazing though!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 06:21 PM
Part of the Pack

hello.

congats on your new bunny! they are the best!

i had a solar fleece blanket on my floor before and my rabbits always nested on it when they were out running around! so, now they each have a peice of it in their cages that they sleep on. and plus i have a carpet on the bottom of their cages that has a flat fiber so they can't chew it up. this seems to work if you really wanted something to put down for her.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2 crazy little girl bunnies:
Ninnles &
Luna ...and... 2 beautiful and wonderful rattles:

Pixie & Mischief... and... 1 sweet little chinchilla
Neo... and last ~ but not least ~ 7 crazy cats & kittens:
Dorian, Ana, V, Evie, Dantes, Maggie, & Sparrow

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Hi Fane81...

Solar fleece blanket? Where can I get one of those? And thanks for the suggestion!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 04:55 PM
Part of the Pack

hello again

well i bought the solar fleece from wal-mart- you can buy it by the yard. it is this really plush velvety fleece material. its much thicker than regular fleece, and it feels like a cloud. you could probably get it at any place that sells fabric. i get it at walmart. i think its called solar fleece- i am going to get more tomorrow and will post on here when i get home to confirm if this is what it is called for sure. the only thing is that it really picks up the shedded hairs so you've got to wash it like once a week, or just turn it around and wash it every two weeks. i give them like half a yard of fleece cut in half. they push ita round it bunch it up and plop down in it. i think they think their like pushing dirt to amke a nest in their burrows or something. hehehe

plus i have it resting on top of their sleeping houses in their cages. i have a piece on top of their houses and a peice inside their houses. they really love it. if you get it, i hope it works for your bunny too!

Ninnles &

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks so much for the advice, Fane. Brandy ventured into the house itself today (she's mostly been staying on the landing in our garage)... the poor thing though... we have hardwood floors, and she was slip sliding around before she figured out how to walk on it without slipping.

I gave her a pillow to lay on -- she was more interested on nibble on it than sitting on it though. I'll try that fleece ... are you sure it's not called polar fleece?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 12:36 PM
Part of the Pack

well i went and their isnt a name on it- but i do think its solar fleece. it is real thick plushy fleece. i'm sure any kind of fleece would work. its nice because it doesn't frey. mine prefer darker colors over lighter ones- or maybe i just think they prefer it hehe

Ninnles &

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 05:05 PM
Part of the Pack

just an update- i checked for sure today on the name of that fleece- it is called "sooo soft fleece" - not solar fleece. i just didnt want you to be looking all over for solar fleece if it doesn't exist. i think it does exist though. but the exact type of fleece my rabbits love is called "sooo soft fleece" with the extra "o"s in the name. hehe. i guess they really wanted to emphasize the softness

Ninnles &

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I guess so! Brandy was doing her version of the Bunny 500 today... I had put one of our old carpet runners on the hardwood floor, and once she got used to it, she went dashing up and down it... then wondered why it slid and she had to walk on hardwood to get back to "her" room.