Hi! New and need advice please! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Question Hi! New and need advice please!

Hi all! I'm new to this forum and joined because I just got a mini Holland lop after years of wanting a rabbit. Last night I took her into our wood-floored room and let her wander and hop and run around a bit. She would come to me every now and then and let me pet her. My question is, is this the right thing to do for her to help her bond with me and tame her a bit. She has an indoor bun cage and will soon have one for outside too for when I'm outside in the yard. I want to make sure she has a happy home and life with me. All of you bunny officianados out there... any advice for a new bun mom?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 11:56 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

It sounds like you are doing everything right so far. It's good to let her come out on her own rather then forcing her out...I'm not sure what you are doing now but it'll help . Letting her come to you on her own and not picking her up yet will teach her to trust you.

I would also hand-feed her some treats...mine especially love banana chips .

Have you been to rabbit.org? It's a great website .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 11:59 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

clover is another bunny love to hold and let her eat out of your hand.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 04:56 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Mine love bananas - both the fresh and the chips - papaya tabs, grape tomatoes, and bunny greens. I hand feed them these things as often as I can so they will like me. It takes time with bunnies. Sometimes lots of time if they are young. But it is worth it. I am still working on mine. Oliver and Ophelia are growing to trust me. Penelope still does not like it when I pick her up but she likes to be petted.
Oh and another trick I use is to lay down on the floor with them and take a nap. This way they can check me out without feeling threatened in any way.
BTW - I am way too old to sleep on the floor! Oh well - anything for the love of my bunnies.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

Congrats on the new bun!

It sounds like your off to a great start! Try not to do anything to scare her or make her mad - because she'll remember it believe me! Bunnies can definatly hold grudges if you upset them. After I cut Zeus's nails, he usually won't come near me for at least the rest of the day, sometimes the next day too. I have to bribe him to be my friend again with treats and pets.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks!

I appreciate the welcome and the good advice. I'll try banana chips and see if she likes them. So far, she's been a good bun.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 07:47 AM

Hello and Welcome to Paw-Talk!

Tags
holland lop