Hi and thank you! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2006, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Hi and thank you!

I'm new here and I've just been approved to post.

I've been reading the numerous posts about bonding with your bunny, and I have to thank all of you who mentioned how it takes time and patience. You've given me lots of hope!

I'm a bun mommy again for the first time in ten years. Here's my sweet little girl, Ruby:

Ruby is 10 months old and SO cute (well, I think so anyhoo...). Can you tell I'm in love??

The foster group I got her from said she didn't like to be held or even petted much, and was the only one in her litter who never really warmed up to being handled. (They told me this after the adoption. Hmmm...)

But whatever... I've been working with her every day and have hopes to gain her trust. She seems to be warming up a little more each day. Last night she ran up to me when I went into her room. It's all I can do not to grab her and smush her with lovin,' but I'm trying to let her take the lead so she feels in control.

Well hello, everyone out there in bunnyland!

Wendy in Rhode Island, USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2006, 09:56 PM
Playful Pup

Awwww! She's precious! I'm sure she'll be enjoying all the loving in no time. Aren't bunnies just the best?!

Lucy
aka BunMom
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2006, 12:37 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

She is Beautiful! You can cut up apples, bananas or carrots into pea size pieces and hand feed her these treats often. All animals seem to bond quicker when you have food in your hand!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2006, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

So far I haven't found any food she goes gaga over. She doesn't eat much in general anyway. My other buns ate practically anything but were particularly fond of the raisins and bananas. So far, nothing floats Ruby's boat but I haven't tried the most obvious thing--CARROTS! (And carrot tops.) Duh!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 10:03 AM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

She is beautiful! Congrats! I never had a bun before this past January but I have to say I am a bun lover now! Luckily for me Tabby was pretty trusting from the start and now absolutely demands to be petted! I am sure she will warm up with time and patience. I swear they can tell when you really love them. I know I have to remind myself I cannot squeeze Tabby like I do the cats and dogs! It's hard though.
I just told JackPots mom that Tabs loves baby food veggies - a little hard to hand feed but Tabby likes to eat hers off a spoon.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Baby veggies!! I'll try that! How adorable!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 08:04 AM

The vet told me that after Tabby got her teeth done. He said he would be happy if she had eaten anything that weekend. I put it in a dish for her and she gobbled it up. Then I decided to mix it with her pellets (they do turn to dust quickly so you need to encourgage them to eat it right away). She loves her baby food so now I use it as a treat. Beware though if you have kitties around they may want some too! Bean just loves peas. Tyler will eat most everything. I just use 3 dishes now.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

She loves salad!

I must have a really health-conscious bun! I offered her fresh salad greens the last two nights and she went berzerk, eating out of my hand & off my lap!

I told the vet this at her checkup yesterday and he said that's really good. Must be good for her digestion because this morning she had the largest-ever pile of healthy poo in her litterbox! I guess it got everything moving around for sure!

I will still try the baby food, though. It's cute!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 12:02 PM

That is really good that she is eating her greens! I think that is pretty important for them.

Tabby just loves her broccoli! That is her favorite thing right now. She eats the flowered tops first then the stems. She also liked parsely for a while but seems to be off that kick. Its the same for the dandelions. She eats some but not like the broccoli. I give her fresh salad before I leave for work and whenI come home at night. She leaves some things behind but never broccoli!

Do you have a list of veggies and fruits for them?

And yes the baby food is really cute - especially when they get it all over themselves! Tabby sometimes stands in the dish (part of the reason I tried the spoon) it gets all over her paws. But when I use the spoon I tend to get it all over her face! She cleans herself up though.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 03:47 PM
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebuns
I must have a really health-conscious bun! I offered her fresh salad greens the last two nights and she went berzerk, eating out of my hand & off my lap!

I told the vet this at her checkup yesterday and he said that's really good. Must be good for her digestion because this morning she had the largest-ever pile of healthy poo in her litterbox! I guess it got everything moving around for sure!

I will still try the baby food, though. It's cute!
im glad shes settling in for you it all takes time but worth it in the end