Homeless Bunny! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Homeless Bunny!

Today Im getting a bunny named Penny but we have noo cage!!
Any ideas on how I can fix up a place for her till we do??
Help Meeeeeee
(I set up this spot in my room with carpets and pillows and toys and a basket and stuff, but I really need ideas!!!!!!!!!!)

Last edited by BunnyFairie; 08-28-2009 at 11:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 11:27 AM
Rodentologist

Maybe you should delay getting your bunny until you can acquire or build an appropriate cage?

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Nuh. We've got Penny on hold, and the promblem isn't the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 04:56 PM
is a little "special"

Have you ever heard of a NIC cage? Those are pretty easy to make.
You can temporarily use a dog/cat crate or kennel too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Problem solved Penny will stay with Creamy, he's got a Giant cage (neutured). Thanks Jess.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 08:26 PM
Hello Earthling

You should keep them seperate for a few weeks and then slowly introduce.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

DUH Jess I know that....
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 08:31 PM
Hello Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyFairie View Post
DUH Jess I know that....
Are you replying to what I said or what Jess said??

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 08:31 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Just be careful - I underestimated the nastiness of bunny fights. They are way worse than I could have ever imagined. I have had to introduce cats to cats - dogs to dogs - cats to dogs - and NOTHING was like bunnies. WOW! Once poor Teddy made the mistake of hopping into Penelope's room and all I saw was a big ball of fur - couldn't tell where one bun started and the other stopped. Oh and I still have the scar from when I stupidly thought Ophelia and Penelope would get along. At least it was Penelope's tush.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

You...sorry Jess X))
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 10:03 AM
Betta Bomb

It might be a bad idea to just stick a new bunny into the others cage. Being naturally territorial there most likely will be fights!
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I'm going to put Creamy on her leash and let her inch towards Penny. If something goes wrong, I'll scoop up Creamy

Hurray
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LOVE4BUNNIS

Creamy Fixing A Car

Penny Cooking Dinner

Penny Doin' The Laundry

3 years Ago *Baby Creamy*
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

Please don't put them together. Creamy was just neutered and it's possable that he could still get Penny pregnant. Small breeds of rabbits can become sexually mature as young as 3 months. It will not be healthy for Penny if she becomes pregnant at that young age, and the world doesn't need more rabbits when there are already thousands of homeless ones in shelters.

Find or make Penny her own cage untill it's safer to introduce them. Also you should always introduce in neutral territory, and not just stick 2 rabbits together. They could start fighting when you're not around to seperate them and bunny fights can lead to some very serous injuries.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 12:13 PM
RAT ADDICT

I wouldn't just put them together like that.
Shouldn't they be quarantined like most other animals at first too? Also introductions should be done slowly.I don't have bunnies,but I know that they can be very territorial!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 12:58 PM
Rodentologist

Yes, rabbits should be quarantined, and they are VERY territorial. We spent $600 patching up an abandoned rabbit that needed multiple drains after their owner didn't follow introduction instructions.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Tags
baby, bunny, cage, homeade, penny