HomeMade Rabbit Cages? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

HomeMade Rabbit Cages?

Just wondering if anyone has homemade rabbit cages for indoor rabbits? How did you make them? Can you show me some pics? I am seriously thinking about making a homemade cage, I cannot find a cage big enough in the stores for both my buns so right now they are freeroam in my room with the smaller cages open for them to get in if they want. (The room is ferret proof, therefor rabbit proof.) They are both litter trained and well behaved however I would rather have them in cage then out. (Ferrets are never out with the rabbits don't worry.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

What about a NIC cage? You make them out of those metal storage cubes - you can usually buy boxes of them at stores like walmart or target for around $15, and with only 2 or 3 boxes you could probably make a huge cage for them.

I don't have any pictures, but if you do a google search for NIC cages or Neat idea cube cages you should find some sites with pictures and directions for how to make them.

If you don't like that idea, what about getting them a pen instead of a cage? Something like this...
http://www.rabbitstop.com/mm5/mercha...Code=2Playpens
I have that for my rabbits, and you can buy extension panels for it too (as many as you want) if you want to make it bigger.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the idea's I just want to try and find different ways I can do things, I have a bunch of lumber I thought about putting one together with that and some mesh screen but I'm not sure if it would be safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 07:37 PM
Betta Bomb

I set up NIC cages for my bunnies. you can make it any way you like with a landing and a cave and any shape. I love them for the creative techniques that may be applied. A bunny will chew through wood.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 09:56 PM
Rodentologist

Lumber is tough to use for rabbit cages because it absorbs urine and rabbits will chew it if they can get to any part of it.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Rabbit hutches are wood? I was going to put tile on the bottom and use chicken wire, the wire would be covering the boards the way I thought about doing it I was just wondering if anyone has before, before I go out and make an idiot of myself.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 10:33 PM
Rodentologist

Rabbit hutches also commonly have been seriously chewed by rabbits and all the ones that people have generously donated to us stank of rabbit pee and had to be discarded.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 08:28 PM
Betta Bomb

Sanitation is important. It would be worth your while and money to invest in a non-wood hutch or construct your own with easy to clean NIC
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

How much do you think it would run to build a large NIC? I priced the cubes at my local walmart 30 dollars for for cubes...that seems a bit much, anywhere cheaper?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 08:47 PM
Betta Bomb

The laundry ones?? I found them in the laundry section of WalMart for 15 $ ..Maybe you found different ones? I klnow in my WalMart there were a few different kinds different prices.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 10:28 PM
Super Moderator

I got them for about $15 as well, from Target.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 09:04 AM

Target has them with 20 grid squares per box for about $12-14 regular price depending on color but if you have some patience and watch the sales, 2 or 3 times per year they're on sale for $7-9 per box.

My indoor bunny cage is made with the grid squares. My bottom and shelves are wood covered in floor tiles with a sandstone square under the water bottle for drips.

I'm not handy enough to make a wooden cage...but if you seal it with water proof paint and your bunnies are litter trained, I would think it would be okay. Possibly coated hardware mesh would be better than galvanized chicken wire though...