hoppity is stubborn.. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 06:23 AM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

hoppity is stubborn..

or maybe its just me? hoppity really needs his nails clipped.. and I'm not sure i can do it.. people talk about flipping there bunny over like its so easy.. why cant i seem to do it? i think I'm too afraid I'll hurt him, or cause him to hurt himself? any tips? he doesn't like being picked up at all. he will sit on my lap for head pets.. altho he usually poos on me... but thats he, he would never sit still long enough for me to clip his nails..

Ive thought about taking him to Dr noble to have him do it, but I'm really worried he would get hurt, as I'm sure they don't treat many rabbits, i don't really want my hoppity to be there Guinea pig, you know? same goes with having him fixed there.. Dr noble said he would do it.. but he said he didn't see much reason too.. i dunno.. i really need some tips on nail clipping.. and how to hold him and such so he doesn't hurt himself..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 11:34 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i doubt he would get hurt laying on his back, but could you have someone else hold him up right he will kick alot for awhile and he wont like it but... then grab each foot and clip them? becareful to have them pulled out as far as they can so he cant kick and cut more than wanted with the clippers

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 11:49 AM

When you flip a rabbit onto their back you grab them by the scruff of there neck and one ear. If they're not used to being handled they may kick and have a fit for the first minute or so but in the long run this is the best way to hold them for nail trimming. As for the vet, I'm sure that taking him to get his nails clipped wouldn't hurt...clipping nails is pretty standard practice on any animal I would think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 12:35 PM
Part of the Pack

I lay my bunny on his back on my legs, with him settled in the little space. Then I stroke his head and face for a few minutes, he usually relaxes and lays still for me. Sometimes I have another pair of hands around to help hold him down or just keep petting him while i clip the nails. I use a cat nail clipper and just do a couple then pet him and give him kisses then do a few more. He's allready a pretty calm boy,although he gets nervous and kicks alot when he's first picked up, but does settle down alot from having his face and ears stroked. Hope this helps, let me know if you try it and how it goes!!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator

Hellos

Make sure your careful if you try to flip him on his back - if he struggles alot he could hurt himself.

Some owners say that holding them like that puts them into some sort of a trance so they stay calm for things like nailcutting. My bun, Zeus, however - HATES to be held upside down. He just freaks out and I don't want him getting hurt, so I don't force it.

He also HATES having his nails cut! A trick I learned is to gently wrap him up in a clean towel and have his face covered. Then I just put the foot I want to work with outside the towel and clip the nails. He stays calmer with his eyes covered, and it's alot easier for me to handle him myself since I don't usually have anyone to help me.

If you still can't clip his nails yourself, your vet should be able to, or sometimes if you can find a rabbit breeder in the area they help people with that too.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 08:52 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

they make muzzles for cats that cover their eyes, if you have a large bunny it might work to cover his eyes too, idk if that would make him calmer or more freaked out,

[/CENTER]

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 04:49 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Two people is a good idea. One hold him while the other clips. I cannot get any of my buns on their back. They all freak. But I was able to get everyone to sit still long enough to get a few nails done at a time. You don't need to do them all at once. Even if you get one a day until he realizes it is no big deal. Maybe even distract him with a yummy treat like a banana.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 05:01 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I know most people like to flip the rabbits on their backs but I've had a few bunnies that would never let me. So I came up with a different way of clipping nails...and it's much simpler.

I give them a treat that takes a while to eat (dried papaya, carrots, or dried pineapple rings are good) and then I sit them on my lap with it. The treat makes them think of nail cutting as a good thing and keeps them busy. Then I just move their paw a bit if needed and clip the nails. This way they don't have to be restrained or tranced...I guess I don't see the point in complicating things .

Oh, and for rabbits who really hate it I just clip one paw every few days over the course of a week. I find that they don't hate it as much if I'm only doing the one paw...it takes much shorter.

I always end the nail clipping with another small treat like some parsley and a long play session.

Edit: One more thing I forgot to add...I clip nails in the bathroom. It's a small space which is good if they escape, lol. If the rabbit seems to be getting really upset I'll let him/her down to run around for a few minutes and give them a treat before continuing.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Last edited by Sasami; 03-28-2007 at 05:04 PM.

Tags
dried pine, guinea pig, sit still