House Rabbit Set-up Pictures - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

House Rabbit Set-up Pictures

It's always neat to show and share ideas for house rabbit homes and play areas, so I thought I would start a thread where we can all post pictures of our bunny set-ups.

Anyways, here are mine...

I have 9 rabbits, half of them are foster bunnies. My adopted 4 have 6x4 pens.
This is Baby & Bubba's Pen

Baby refuses to litter train, I have had him for two years now and he's probably around 4 or 5 years old. So to keep his area and his brother clean and dry, i have added the bedding to absorb any urine. This seems to really be helping. They have 3 levels made from NIC cubes. I have also added a ramp, this was taken the first day I put this all together.

This is Bo and Aniseeds setup. Both bunnies are litter trained, so no 'chips' are needed. This is a real old photo, I'll have to update as there are a few changes.

Here are all my foster bunnies. All in NIC cages, the one on the right needs a roof as Suzy-Q can get out of ANYTHING.

I have two small bunnies living on the right cage, and one little guy on the left. I am hoping to bond all three one day.

The bunny area is one big play area, so they all get their own play time out of their cages each day. There is a big carpet in the middle, and toys spread all around. The bunnies get to interact with their friends in other cages, most of the bunnies are quite friendly with one another.
Here is another older picture...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 09:43 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Nice set-ups!! I would post pictures of mine but there isn't much to show . My rabbits are basically free-range...the cages serve the same purpose as dog crates.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 09:51 PM

nice set up ill try and show pics. tomarrow cuz im at work now.
nice idea for a thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 12:01 AM
Will It Ever Change?

oh jealousy ensues!! nice cages!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 12:44 AM
Part of the Pack

Don't ya just love the NIC cubes...you can create just about anything. I was niave and thought a bunny wouldn't take up much space...boy was I wrong. My hubby thinks the bunnies have more toys and stuff than our two kids ever had. I'll try posting a picture of our set up later.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

I love your bunny room - wow, 9 buns! You must be very busy!

My two guys, for now, have a NIC cage that's 2 X 3 cubes, but they only stay in their cage when I'm not home. I can try to get a good picture of it later on. Most of the time they just get to free roam thought.

When I move next december, we're either going to get them this cage: http://www.leithpetwerks.com/indexpage.cfm?category=1 - the three level one, Oor we're going to get them a gaint Xpen and just let them live in that. And they'll still be able to free roam when someones home to keep an eye on them.

I really want to get them that cage, then set up a pen around it, so they have both! But I need to figure out a way to talk my boyfriend into it. He thinks they only need one or the other. I guess it depends on how much space our new apartment has - because the way my boyfriend sees it, the more space the rabbits get, the less space he has for all his useless junk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Yes LuckyBuny, I LOVE NIC cubes, they work for everything! I have them in my home office, my work office, my shoes closet and of course as cages and pens for all my bunnies. Since X-Pens are not cheap, I also use NIC cubes as pens when i let my bunnies outside to play.

Michelle - I'm 'down' to 9 bunnies, I had 11 to 14 in the last year at some times. I'm trying to let all my animal numbers become smaller, either naturally, or by adoption. As i am getting married next year and hope to start my own two legged family in two years. I'm down to 18 gerbils (12 are 'mine') 2 Degus, 6 hamsters and one dog who is now diabetic. So, yup a busy house for sure, and always lots of entertainment LOL
I would recommend a NIC cage for your bunnies, because you can build them to fit your space in your home, you can make as many levels as you would like, and change it around at any time.
All you need are the NIC cubes, zap straps (or tip ties they are also called) and some corogated plastic sheeting to make the base. You can use coroplast for the floors, but I prefer old carpet since it has better traction. I use a brush to get all the rabbit hair off of it.

My bunny Pitstop get's the run of upstairs when we are home, as he is very good with his litter box manners, and doesn't chew anything to bad (still have to be careful though). He has also chosen me as his partner, while the other bunnies all live with a friend. I call him my little boyfriend/son/cat LOL
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 07:07 AM

Thanks for sharing! The bunny we're adopting today comes with all supplies including cage, but I have no idea what that means. I'm assuming the cage is going to be somewhat small and we're going to have to build a new one. It's nice to see that someone built one and is happy with it.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
would recommend a NIC cage for your bunnies, because you can build them to fit your space in your home, you can make as many levels as you would like, and change it around at any time
Yeah, I know all about NIC cages - that's what I've been using for them since I got Zeus. I might make them a NIC pen instead of using an Xpen, but I'm not sure yet. I really like the looks of the Leith Petwerks cages and the fact that they're so sturdy I can put stuff on the top. I wouldn't feel safe putting anything on top of a NIC cage - maybe I'm just bad at making them, but they never come out as sturdy as I would like.

Plus Chris just really doesn't like the looks of the NIC cages, and we might be putting the rabbit cage in the living room so he wants to get them "a nice cage" (I'm not saying NIC cages arn't nice, Chris just doesn't think they are). But yeah, depending on where we put the cage and how much space we have, I might just make them a huge NIC pen or something - I'm really not sure yet. Of course I would save a ton of money if I just used the NIC's - but money isn't too much of an issue anyways.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

My friends built this amazing wooden famed cage, sort of like the one you posted a link to, but it goes all the way up to their ceiling. It fits in what i think was a closet at some time. It's amazing.

More pictures!!!!!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 08:15 PM

We built a NIC cage to copy the one you liked in the link. We only did two fllors for now but are going to add the third when they get bigger. We used a plywood base for the floor, drilled holes in it then zip tied the cage to it for stability. We bought a lot of left over self adhesive floor tiles for the downstairs and covered the top floor with a yoga mat. ( Our buns are mini rex and I was told carpet would give them sores.....) For extra stabililty onethe top( we have climbers) we doubled up or over- lapped random cubes. We did this on the sides too. This allowed us to really customized the size of the cage to fit a specific spot. I can try to post photos if I can figure out how. We have to re vamp the cage soon as we just found out one baby is a girl and we need to separate until the vet can spay and Nueter. I will get a photo soon before we dismantle........ There is a video of how to do all this on U Tube that my son saw. I think you can link it thru the House Rabbit Society website too. It cost us about $70.00 and we have about 15 cubes leftover too!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 08:37 AM

Wow very nice set up Andrea! I love it! That is alot of buns that you are taking care of! Congrats on getting married too! I hope its the best wedding ever!

I really need to build my buns a bigger cage but I just have to get some more NIC. I think I have 21 or so pieces but I need more to build a really nice one!

Please everyone post pictures of your cages! I love to see what the possibilities are! My husband first turned a dog house into a cage! He drilled holes in the top and sides but it just seems to keep the urine smell in to much for them! I am thinking about adding something to that cage and then they can have there litter box in the other part and still have a hiding area!!

Tags
house rabbit, house rabbit society, litter box, litter train, litter trained, mini rex, rabbit cage, rabbit society