House Temperature - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

House Temperature

Hi All,

Since it's fall here - night temps are down in the 40's. So the house temp is much lower. I draped a sheet over the back of my buns cage so he wouldn't have a draft on him.
Can anyone tell me what would be the lowest temp and highest temp for a house rabbit. I don't want the poor thing to get chilly but I don't want to overheat him either when it's time to turn on a heater.
I know there body temp. is higher than ours but it's so hard to judge the best temp. for him.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

I know they deal with cold much better than with heat, over 80* F is too hot for them. I've seen scientific studies done that showed that around 60*F is best - they tested baby rabbits to see at what temperature they grew and survived best in.

Some sites say they are most comfortable between 55*F - 75*F, if you want numbers. They can tolerate colder temperatures better than hotter.

I haven't turned my heat on at all yet this fall, and our house has gotten pretty cold at times. The rabbits are fine. When it's time to turn the heat on I usually keep it around 60*, never hotter than 70*. That's more of a personal preference, but I've had house rabbits for over 4 years now and they always seem to do fine inside in the winter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 12:43 PM
is a little "special"

Like Michelle said, buns can tolerate cold temps pretty well.
Rabbits have a thick fur coat, so you should keep that in mind when you are thinking about what temperature they would like. People obviously dont have fur, so what feels cold to you acually feels alot warmer to them. If you are at a comfortable temperature wearing a coat or jacket, then it most likely feels fine to them. If you still feel kinda cold, then you might want to think about putting on the heat.
We have one of these for each of our rabbits:Heating pad
They are good for indoor/outdoor use, and if you rabbit gets a little chilly he can sit on it to warm up

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thanks Michelle and Jess