House trouble w/ Bunny- HELP! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation House trouble w/ Bunny- HELP!

I really need help! If I can't fix my bunnies habbit I'll have to get rid of her... and I dont' want to.

So when I first got my baby (Sumi) she was shy likea new bunny should be. But she got really friendly and was no longer scared of me and my roomie at all! She'd run around, following us and doing happy dances around our feet. She started peeing everywhere (puberty i suppose) so I was advised to get her spayed. I got her spayed and she wasn't too happy through out the whole recovery period. I don't blame her since she had to wear the cone.

She wasn't too fond of me after and I didn't hold it against her, I'd be a bit suspicious and upset if someone shaved me and took away my woman-ness and then made me wear an awful cone. So i've waited and waited, but her attitude has seem to gotten worse. It makes me sad because I miss my friendly bunny... She runs away now and paws at me. If I put my hand out for her to sniff she attacks it, which she never did before we got her spayed. She use to sniff it and then let you pet her. I don't like having a pet that hates me.

She's destroying my apartment too.. I can't get her to stop chewing the molding. I've given her twigs to chew on, wood carrots to chew on... boxes to chew on.. but she'd rather chew the molding. She's even starting to chew my carpet.

I keep her in my closet-so i close the door when I'm at school or sleeping and just these last couple weeks she's started clawing at the door and chewing at the carpet to get out. And this weekend she's started dumping her litter everywhere!! She won't even keep it in the corner. She also get on my bed chews everything apart.

How can I get her to be friendly again? I thought time would do it, but it's been almost four months... That's what I'm most worried about... secondly how to keep her from destroying my house.

Please help...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 08:28 PM
Rodentologist

I don't want to be unhelpful, but she's acting completely normal for a rabbit. I think it's a bit unfair to dump her for behaving like her species.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 10:06 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

If you have not done so already I suggest you try winning her trust back with treats. Maybe sit in the floor with a piece of banana and wait until she comes to you. When she does reward her with a bite of it. You can use whatever fruit she likes. Of course don't give her too much or she could get sick. Just be patient with her and sit quietly and still - don't reach for her at first. As she regains her trust and realizes once again you are a good thing then you can try and pet her. I have two buns that want nothing to do with me what so ever! But they are happy buns so I just let them be and fulfill my role as slave. Luckily, the other two bunnies I have are friendly.
As for the chewing on everything and ripping up the rugs - I smiled when I read that. It's true that is what buns do. I also have given my buns more toys then a lot of kids have and they still chew molding. One of the guys here pointed out that his bun preferred to chew something that did not move so easily. He gave his bun a heavy piece of wood. I have also done that. My Ollie will chew on it but he also likes to pick it up and drop it so it makes a bang. For Teddy I have strapped some chew toys to the baby gate I use to keep him in his room. It's also good to rotate toys - I really should do that but I don't. It keeps them more interested. I do it with my dogs and it really works. Carpets are typically not the best flooring for buns - because they chew them up. My Penelope has ripped up behind the door in her room and some other areas as well. We are changing the rug to a laminate. In an apartment I am sure that is not a choice for you. I have heard that some people use tiles over the spot the bun is chewing. It works for some buns and it's also a cool spot for them to lay. Is there any way you can cover the rug in your closet with wood? or even layers and layers of cardboard. This way she can dig and chew and if you watch closely she won't get through all the layers. I did that in a corner of Teddy's room.
Just be patient - she is still young. I have adopted both young buns and older buns - I found it much easier with the older buns. But I would never trade the two that we adopted when they were a few months old. Oh and if you ever decide to get her a friend - let her pick! Trust me - bonding is hard enough.
You have found a good place to get advise. I hope you like it here.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

I pretty much would have told you everything kathydip said.

To keep my rabbits from chewing I just rabbit proofed their room. I've had rabbits that I trained to do tricks and follow some commands, but I've never been able to get one to stop chewing on things they are not suppose too. Instead I just block things off so they can't get to them.

http://www.peteducation.com/article....+1803&aid=2724

And I would try regaining her trust with treats as well. Don't try to pet her untill she is more comfortable with you again and comes up to you for attention. It's weird because she sounds a lot like an unspayed bunny. How old is she? Did the vet remove both uterus and ovaries?

Honestly some rabbits, once they get older, just arn't as friendly. I have three, and they really would rather be with each other than with me. I have gotten them to a point where they tolerate me, and once in awhile they will come up to me for attention, but most of the time they only want to associate with me if I have food.

I really hope you don't get rid of her for normal rabbit behavior. There are ways to prevent her from destroying your apartment and you can work with her to try to regain her trust and hopefully get her to let you pet her more. Good luck! And feel free to ask again if you need more tips or advice

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 11:26 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Have you thought of trying to clicker train your rabbit? You can find a clicker training kit at: www.rabbitstop.com
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 01:43 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

One more thing I can think of you could try. Rabbits really do hold grudges. If all else fails, you might find someone to take your rabbit in for about a week, then bring her back home and try again.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 12:54 AM

lol yeah I try to stop Holly chewing my carpet - I finally found something made out of sisal! It seems like we just don't have it here but I found a toy carrot that's made out of it that's designed to be chewed or tossed around (there's something inside it that makes a noise when you throw it) and the petstore started stocking these compressed blocks of alfalfa that are good to chew on, which at least helps a little.

Also for trying to lure her - it might help if you lie down while you're waiting for her to come over. It puts you at more her height and you won't be as intimidating.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 01:11 AM
Betta Bomb

Im saddened to hear that instead of working through it, you consider re-homing her... This not only is unfair to your bunny but also to yourself for giving up.
Everything was said that I would have said. Work around her,she may be bored and just wants freedom, how big is the closet she's kept in? And how long is she confined to it? She may be just bored in the dark and has nothing else to do, bunnies LOVE to chew and will chew anything in their path. You have to bunny-proof around her. My room is lined with extra NIC things and cardboard. Anyone who comes in knows it doesn't much resemble a bedroom than a playroom . Also, the spay thing.. I would give it time still, Acacia was spayed at 6 months after she was being a literal terror of a bunner and I'd say it took almost a year after to completey work out the hormones from her pre-spay. Adolescent bunnies are frightening little devils , seeing as your bunny worked the opposite way and was uber-friendly before and now is a normal bunny I'd just suggest you love her anyway. No, it's not exactly a nice change but she's being normal.

Good luck and I hope you decide to keep her, afterall, YOU made the life-long commitment to her regardless of her mood swings.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 03:05 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

People have often told me how much rabbits crave human attention and what wonderful housepets they make. I don't think the word really gets out that some rabbits really aren't all that friendly and how difficult rabbits can be. There are rabbit and critter magazines on the market that say little or nothing about unfriendly rabbits, and I'm sure there are plenty of people that feel misled. Had Sika known what could happen, she may have chosen a different pet.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 08:47 AM
Rodentologist

They're friendly, I think, but in their own way. Most of the fosters I've had (with the exception of few) were interested in me and would like to be around me, but you're right, they're not like a dog or a cat, they don't typically desire to be cuddled and petted in the same way.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 12:43 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I'm sure organizations like the HRS must provide information about the friendliness/unfriendliness of rabbits. Perhaps someone could provide links to this information.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 04:47 PM
Rodentologist

Definitely, there is tons of information about it:

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-5/like-a-rabbit.html "What is a Rabbit Like"
http://www.rabbit.org/journal/2-10/mellow-lops.html "Lops are Mellow and Other Myths"
http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/training.html "Training FAQ"
http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/shy.html "Shy Rabbit FAQ"
http://www.rabbit.org/adoption/easter.html "Rabbits at Easter"
http://www.rabbit.org/journal/1/rejection.html "Rejection"
http://www.rabbit.org/journal/2-2/perfection.html "Expecting Perfection"

Those are the few that I pulled up.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 12:50 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thanks, Jennicat. I think the information you linked us to, at least "What is a Rabbit Like" should be on a sticky at the top of this forum.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks I really appreciate the advise.

I wish people would stop lecturing me about keeping my bunny. It's as though they assume I'm throwing her away and for the wrong reasons. I am not getting rid of her because she's just plain old inconvient. There's a lot of factors involved not just that she has normal behaviors. If I do opt to give her up it will be a serious matter and I will be ensuring she goes to a good home who is experienced with rabbits.

I love her unconditionally, but I also have an apartment that I have to pay damages on and no money.

Moonchild brought up the best point. My friends have had bunnies and theirs have been little calm lovers that kiss you or just sit around. Also, I've never read much about the more unfriendly/stand-off ish rabbits. I guess I should have been more indepth in my research, but I thought that the hardest part was going to be litter training and that turned out to be a peice of cake (minus the recent litter dumping). She was friendly at first and followed me around doing love dances but ever since spaying she's been more like an angry cat attacking me and running away now. Her personality did a 180 ( and I was told that she would be better behaved if I spayed her- I think I liked her before haha). I don't really mind the mood change. It's like having kids right? But besides that, I admit that I didn't understand the full needs of the bunny and if I had known that Sumi needed more than i could give her I probably would have opted for a different pet that might be better suited for the life-style.

Anyway, it'd be more than just bunny behavior that I rehome her. The apartment is one issue, but I also don't think it's fair if I keep her and can't give her what she needs. She obviously needs a house more suited for bunnies- like good flooring, etc. But also I've just started working full-time and going to school full-time and i don't think it's fair to keep her locked up or that i can't allow her enough attention/free-time to become more happy and comfortable. So, if I know that someone can give her all that SHE deserves, I would do that because i know she'd be happier.

BUT I have tried some of the advise! It's helped save the apartment a bit... I found cardboard and made her a 'hut'. She's been killing it

She is still dumping her litter everywhere... is that normal?

My roommate layed on the ground yesterday to try that approach with her and she attacked his face... Any suggestions?

Thanks a bunch... and I hope you guys don't hate me for trying to give my bunny the best suited home.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 07:15 AM
Rodentologist

If distracting her works, she's probably just bored and being destructive because of that. Check out some of the stores like binkybunny.com and look at the types of toys they sell. You don't neccesarily have to buy them from there (many are simple to make on your own) but they'll give you a good idea of the kinds of things that are successful with bunnies. Rabbits are a lot like birds in their toy preferences -- they like stuff they can tear up and chew and eat. I usually keep a big stack of baskets and willow balls available and snag plain cardboard boxes when I see them.

I'm wondering if maybe the spay is causing issues. Was she given pain medication after her spay? How old was she when it was done?

Also the litter thing is normal if the box isn't heavy enough. I buy those big rubbermaid underbed containers and use them as bunny boxes since they can't tip them over. She's trying to play in it.

Last edited by Jennicat; 05-07-2009 at 07:18 AM.

Tags
house trained bunny