How to bunny proof a couch? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

How to bunny proof a couch?

My couch is getting old, and the new bunny chew holes aren't helping. I want to replace it, but I'm afraid of what Flash will do to a new one. Any suggestions for how to keep him from eating a new couch as soon as I buy it? I don't usually let him out of the cage unsupervised for long periods of time, but I can't sit and watch him every second. Any suggestions?

--Fromper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 06:57 PM
Betta Bomb

maybe put the old one in his room and restrain him from getting on the new one? i hope the best for you and your new couch!!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple-Hops View Post
maybe put the old one in his room and restrain him from getting on the new one? i hope the best for you and your new couch!!
My apartment isn't that big. It's just a one bedroom apartment, and the only room he can't get into when he's out of his cage is the bedroom. I've just got too much electrical stuff that he could chew through in there (computers especially). There's also a couple of closets I generally keep him out of to keep him from chewing on boxes of stuff stored in there. So that leaves pretty much just the living room and kitchen/dining room area, and there's no way to divide those to keep him from going back and forth, so that's his play area when he's not in his cage.

--Fromper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 08:47 PM
Adolescent Pup

yikes. good luck?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

George orwell
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 10:36 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Put loads of blankets on it so that he chews them and not the new couch? Not really a solution but that is what I did to the couch in the buns room.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 11:08 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Maybe you could buy a pet playpen and put the fence around the couch when Flash is out and about.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 11:23 PM
Part of the Pack

yeah, basically what kathydip said. I've heard of people on here going to second hand stores and buying old sheets to put on their couches for protection. You could also put something else on the couch with him to chew, but i guess buns do as they please lol. Sorry I couldnt be of much help..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

give your love no matter what.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 09:01 AM
Betta Bomb

you could put those discusting plastic sheets that alot of old ladies put on their furniture on yours? cover it with a fabric sheet?? i hate those things but it will probably sheild pee from saturating your new couch.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Flash is good about his litter training, so I'm not worried about pee. I'm just worried that he'll chew the edges of the couch, or the bottom, or the fabric on the seat, or ...

--Fromper
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 11:17 AM

For the edges I saw that someone had used the nic pieces and made a fence around the bottom of their couch. I thought it was so that the buns could not get under - but I would think it may keep him from getting his teeth into the edges. Theirs looked like it was a nice fit around the couch. I couldn't see the entire thing so I am not sure if they had to cut any of the pieces to make it fit so nicely. If you use zip ties to keep most of the panels together and then just twist tie two at the corner I would think it should be easy to remove if you had company you needed to impress. Maybe instead of just sheets for the top you could use an old quilt. That way it would be thicker and would give you more time to get to him if he does start chewing. Again, it's not a pretty idea but sometimes living with bunnies isn't pretty! You should see our baseboards in the bunny rooms!!! I never figured out how to bunny proof them.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 07:30 PM
Playful Pup

This is a picture of my friend's bed - she used NIC grids tied together to block off the bed so the bunnies couldn't get underneath. I used something similar - guinea pig exercise pens - in the same manner, around my couch. You can either pull the dust ruffle overtop to hide it or place it in front if you want to prevent your bunnies from chewing. Worth a try...

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 11:24 PM

That is exactly what I saw!
But around a couch

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny

Tags
bunny, couch, rabbit