How can you tell? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

How can you tell?

I have two male rabbits (a netherland dwarf & a wooley jersey). How do I tell which one is the dominant one? They do hump each other and I know that is the way rats show they are dominant. Is it the same with rabbits?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

I find it hard to believe that NOBODY on this board knows the answer to this.... am I just being ignored?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 03:02 PM

I think when no one answers, they may not know.
I don't know though, my rabbit hasn't meet another one that I am aware of.
Someone may know though..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

Sometimes you may have to be a little patient for a reply - I usually try to respond to Q's as soon as I can but sometimes miss some or have to put of responding to them if I don't have the time at the moment.

Yes, rabbits hump as a display of dominance. My rabbits do the same thing that yours do, they both hump each other. It's hard for me to explain how you tell which is the dominate one but it's easy for me to tell with my two. You kind of just have to know your rabbits and watch their interactions and you can tell. Maybe one is more outgoing and the other is shy and submissive, or there's one that always has to eat first, get treats first, stuff like that. Most of the time my dominant rabbit is the one humping the other one, but once in awhile it's the other way around - that's pretty normal with rabbits. Either way, it doesn't really matter all that much which one is dominant as long as they're getting along ok and not fighting or anything like that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 04:27 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Michelle - I am guessing that Zeus is the dominent one.

Oliver and Ophelia will mount each other. I am still not sure who is thee dominant one. I think it's Ophelia but I am not 100% sure.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Max is more outgoing and Mylo is more shy. They don't fight. They're fine together. I was just wondering.

Thank you
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 07:35 PM

If both hump each other then they might be trying to figure out the same thing you are!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Michelle - I am guessing that Zeus is the dominent one.
Yup!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 05:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by torigrrrl View Post
If both hump each other then they might be trying to figure out the same thing you are!
They're almost 2. How long does it take them to figure it out? lol
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

It usually doesn't take that long.

But sometimes owners can't really tell which one is dominant because they'll both act pretty much the same.

Personally, I find it easier to look for which is the more submissive then which is the more dominant, because they can both hump each other ect. But look for things like I suggested in my last post. And from my personal experience, if you have one that is outgoing and another one that is more shy, then chances are that the more outgoing one is more dominant then the shy one.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 03:41 PM
Part of the Pack

if they aren't neutered, the humping is probably just raging hormones. mature male rabbits will hump anything that resembles a female rabbit, be it a fuzzy slipper, the cat, or another male rabbit. There doesn't always have to be a "dominant" one. Maybe they hump each other equally because they are both horny?

4 cats: Radar, Oscar, Mackintosh, Qwilleran
1 dog: Daphne
3 rabbits: Barbarella Bunny. DC's Lucy, Ricky
1 daddy-long leg spider: Spidey
8 assorted tarantulas
1 madagascar hissing cockroach: Lady
3 chickens
1 ball python: Eve
1 corn snake: Charisma
1 California kingsnake: Honey
1 tortoise: Charlie
2 Mali Uromastyx: Nick and Nora
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfwaynowhere View Post
if they aren't neutered, the humping is probably just raging hormones. mature male rabbits will hump anything that resembles a female rabbit, be it a fuzzy slipper, the cat, or another male rabbit. There doesn't always have to be a "dominant" one. Maybe they hump each other equally because they are both horny?
No, they are not neutered. I was wondering that too. I might just have two horny bunnies on my hands.. lol
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

Oh, I thought your rabbits were fixed...that explains lots of humping then!

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 11:42 AM
Part of the Pack

We were in the process of bonding when Molly got sick and then we had to separate them. I was wondering the same thing. Molly (not spayed) would always hump Lucky (neutered). He has never once mounted Molly. He didn't tolerate it and would try to nip her. Then she would be submissive and put her head under his chin like she was apologizing. She is more outgoing and him more shy...but he definately gets pushy if she is in the spot that he wants. I still don't know if that meant he was more dominant or not?

Tags
netherland dwarf