How can you tell if a rabbit is a boy or girl? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Smile How can you tell if a rabbit is a boy or girl?

Hi I just got a rabbit a month and half ago. I was wondering how can you tell if it is a boy or girl. Or can you? I heard if its a girl it gets sort of a beard around its chin. Anybody with info out there let me know. Thanks!

Mother of:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bear
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cadbury
Sassie

3 Fishies
Louie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 03:39 PM
Stinky Liverbrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley49821
I heard if its a girl it gets sort of a beard around its chin. Anybody with info out there let me know. Thanks!
I've never heard of such a thing...

Here is a page that has some pretty good pics (and info) of how to sex a rabbit

http://137.222.110.150/calnet/sexing/page2.htm

It's not really that easy with young animals... the penis is sometimes hard to see, and a lot of experience is usually necesarry, however, when adults, the testicles give the male away. Good luck!

Dimaris

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 06:38 PM
Newborn Pup

Hi! Congrats on your new bunny!

I suggest bringing your bunny to the vet one day (even if it's just to trim it's claws) and to ask your vet to check it out for you, 'cause it's really hard to see the difference if you're not used to it.

When I got my bunny, the people at the shelter told me that it was definitely a male and, from what I had heard of different ways to distinguish a male from a female, it made sense. But a year later, at our first vet visit, I learned that Thumper was a female..

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 11:36 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

You can easily trim rabbit nails by flipping the bun on his/her back and letting the bun trance out. Be gentle and move slowly, and the rabbit will likely not even react - assuming you don't get close to the nail quick. Do NOT.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 05:58 AM
Curmudgeon

I've always assumed the boy rabbits wore blue underwear, and the girl rabbits wore pink....

bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 01:12 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

It is easier to tell the sex of the rabbits when they reach maturity. If you have a boy, you will be able to see his testicles once he reaches maturity, around 5 or 6 months old. If you have a girl, you won't notice an obvious change in the pubic area.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Smile

I think my bunny is a girl now. I checked last night. thanks for all the info though

Mother of:

Bear
Cadbury
Sassie

3 Fishies
Louie

Tags
vet visit