How cold is too cold? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

How cold is too cold?

Well, it broke down to about 19*f tonight, but it's coming back up some. I didn't know it was going to get that cold and didn't think about the bunny outside. I come home and she's bundled up in her rags (which started out as actual "soft" things for her to bed on and such) and seemed fine. She's fluffy and just like any other day.

I've always brought her in during bad (wet/icey) weather, but she's gotten to where she does not like the indoors very much. I know the local cottontails and jacks rough it out in the wheat fields down into the negatives before they start seeking shelter. Should I worry about mine?

I have a gecko...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

...or does a gecko have me??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 06:06 PM
Part of the Pack

hello.

honestly i dont know much about rabbits handling the outside elements, but does she have any other rabbits to snuggle with for warmth? perhaps you could get a big barrel of hay from a local farm or somewhere to put inside her cage for insulation against the elements. she might be able to make a really nice warm nest with hay.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 06:37 PM
Playful Pup

I spoke with a breeder once who said she keeps her rabbits outside all year (she's from Kingston, Ontario. i.e brutal winters) but she provides them with those small heaters during the cold months...it can still get really windy though...i dunno, i think i'd bring her inside.

We all love animals. Why do we call some "pets" and others "dinner?" ~k.d. lang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 07:40 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Rabbits can actually handle the cold a lot better than the heat. My rabbits have been outside in the winters but they always are protected from wind/drafts and wet. Rabbits are fine in the cold if it's nice and dry and they have somewhere to cozy up, like a hidey house or another bunny.
This year we have a shed for the bunnies and a heating system, but they don't need it to survive.
Just make sure the bunny doesn't have frozen water in the water bottle, and that the spout, if it's metal, is dry. Tongues can freeze to wet metal if it is cold enough, which has disasterous consequences. Also make sure your bunny has melted water regularly because ice isn't that great for drinking.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 09:52 AM
PT's Official Law Breaker

If she has been out long enough to develop a thick winter coat, she should be fine. If you put a indoor rabbit out, who is used to the heat, they would most likely freeze, but a rabbit who is used to living outside and has a suitable cage will be ok.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 12:37 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Give your rabbit plenty of hay or straw to nest in and she should be fine. Don't bring her inside anymore if you plan to keep her outside all winter or that could cause some problems for her. Make sure she is sheltered from the wind. You may need to give water several time a day as it freezes. I run an extention cord from my garage and provide my rabbits with a heated water dish that is made for dogs. I also have a dog bed heater that I have used in the past, but I have heard from people that live in colder climates than mine who say it isn't necessary. You can also go to (www.rabbitweb.net) and go to "Just Rabbits" and find the thread "Please, allow me to introduce myself," and you will find a breeder from Alaska who is willing to answer any questions you might have.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I thought about throwing some hay in there but she eats it...I was told that bunnies shouldn't be given a lot of hay because it's not good for their digestion...?

She has a little box that I put her rags and soft stuff in but she always drags it all outside the box...I may have made it too small so I'm going to make a bigger one later. Her cage is open on all sides but I have a chunk of plywood on the north side, and the cage is against my house on the east side so she stays pretty protected from the wind. My only problem so far is the water thing...it freezes. Luckily if I'm around or something it's still getting warm enough pretty early to melt the ice but I need to find another method to handle that.

I have a gecko...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 04:34 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero
I thought about throwing some hay in there but she eats it...I was told that bunnies shouldn't be given a lot of hay because it's not good for their digestion...?

She has a little box that I put her rags and soft stuff in but she always drags it all outside the box...I may have made it too small so I'm going to make a bigger one later. Her cage is open on all sides but I have a chunk of plywood on the north side, and the cage is against my house on the east side so she stays pretty protected from the wind. My only problem so far is the water thing...it freezes. Luckily if I'm around or something it's still getting warm enough pretty early to melt the ice but I need to find another method to handle that.
I'm not sure about temperatures since my bunnies are inside.

But, the hay thing is not true. Rabbits NEED unlimited hay because it's GOOD for their digestion. An adult rabbit should always have acess to fresh timothy hay .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 03:34 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

but I don't have access to timothy hay...only thing I got is grass/wheat and alfalfa. I'll get her some of the cut grass/wheat stuff from work...our horses/cattle don't dig it but I've ALWAYS got jacks all over it.

I have a gecko...

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 10:35 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Any grass hay is good for rabbits, it doesn't have to be timothy. Alfalfa is not a grass hay and is too fattening.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 02:16 PM
Newborn Pup

Most hay can be ordered online too i should thinkI only give timmy hay as a treat cause it's very expensive the rest of the time my rabbits have meadow hay. It's essential to give the rabbits lots of hay, not only is it good for their digestion as mentioned above it helps to keep their teeth in good condition. Rabbits molars grow continuously as well as the front teeth and the spurs can cut into the cheeks/tounge of the rabbit causing extreme pain!

Tags
dog bed, grass hay, timothy hay