How did you get your rabbits? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

How did you get your rabbits?

Most of my buns have been rescued or adopted, but I'm trying to get my next bun from a breeder. How did you get your buns? stories are nice. Here are mine.

Barbarella was abandoned in a box in the parking lot of a burger place. Someone found her and took her in, but his mom wouldn't let him keep her, so he put her up on craigslist, and I found her that way.
Horatio T. Nibbles had been a show bunny in Florida. His owner retired and moved to California, taking him with her. As her health declined, she could no longer care for him properly, so she rehomed him. The person who had taken him in had to move and couldn't take him, so she put him on craigslist, and then I got him.
Desiree was brought into the shelter with two other buns, all wooly, and all matted. I don't know her story, I'm assuming that whoever had them before realized that wooly buns were too much work. Anyways, I fell in love with her at the shelter, and adopted her.

4 cats: Radar, Oscar, Mackintosh, Qwilleran
1 dog: Daphne
3 rabbits: Barbarella Bunny. DC's Lucy, Ricky
1 daddy-long leg spider: Spidey
8 assorted tarantulas
1 madagascar hissing cockroach: Lady
3 chickens
1 ball python: Eve
1 corn snake: Charisma
1 California kingsnake: Honey
1 tortoise: Charlie
2 Mali Uromastyx: Nick and Nora
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 10:56 PM
can't think of one, help

My little guy was rescued out of the cold and snow a day after Christmas 7 1/2 yrs ago a few days after I lost my sweetie girl to pasturella. He was one of two I rescued that day, the other one I took to the local shelter, she was adopted by a local elder residential facility. His cagemate (she went to the bridge last fall) was rescued about 6 mos. later from the lawn. They became so bonded you could barely tell there were two of them. They were always tight next to each other. He was depressed for a while when she passed but he's better now.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 01:25 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I got one from a rescue, one from a lady giving rabbits away, and one from a breeder . Here are their stories:

Elvis- I believe Elvis had been found as a stray...either way he had been dumped. A rescue took him in and that's where he stayed for at least a year or so. He was wild and crazy with a lot of behavioral problems...he hated rabbits and wasn't fond of people either. He was a loner and spent his days digging tunnels everywhere and trying to escape. I have a tendency to adopt "un-adoptable" animals so of course I had to take him home . He's still nuts and has some issues but he's sooo much better then he used to be.

Sakura- My mom saw a flyer for free rabbits and told me about it. I called and the lady said they had three...two dwarves and a dutch. They came with cages and I had assumed they were indoor rabbits. I decided to take a look and went to her house the next day. The rabbits were actually outdoor bunnies living in small wire hutches. Two were mixed breeds and the "Dutch" was a Californian. The Californian was the oldest and the mother of the other two...she gave birth when she was only four months old . Yet somehow she had managed to raise the litter and was a great mother. The rabbits were all skittish...especially the female. The lady said they were never handled or anything. It didn't look like the hutches were cleaned much either =/. Their food was all mushy and grey from the rain and the wire was cutting into the Californian's feet since she couldn't get off of it. Of course they had no toys or anything either. I only had room for one and took the mother (who was now over three years old) since she was the least likely to be adopted (she was the least friendly, the biggest, had red eyes, and was extremely overweight from lack of exercise). I named the new bunny Sakura . Her fur was falling out from malnutrition, cuts covered her feet, she was terrified of everything, and she couldn't hop. Yes, she couldn't hop . Her muscles hadn't developed properly since she had been in that hutch from the time she was a little baby. After vet visits and a lot of TLC she recovered from her neglect and is now doing great . She even has her own toy box, haha. Sakura is now a free-range house rabbit who enjoys playing, being pet, and begging for treats. Oh, and she can hop much better . By the way, in case you were wondering why the family got Sakura in the first place...she was an Easter bunny -_-.

Fiona- Fiona doesn't have a sad story, hehe. I got her from an awesome breeder . She had been handled since she was a baby and has always loved people. Fiona is well-socialized, well-behaved, and healthy. It's so weird having a bunny without medical/behavioral problems . She's the first rabbit I've gotten from a breeder. French Angoras are never in shelters here and I wanted a friendly one so grooming wouldn't be a nightmare.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 01:49 AM
Super Moderator

My boyfriend got my Zeus for me from a mall petshop.

Bad, I know

I had really wanted to adopt a bun from a shelter, but my boyfriend went to the petstore before I came over and fell in love with Zeus. So when I got to his house, we went to the mall, and we wanted to go see if anyone had bough Zeus yet. No one had, so he came home with us.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 02:14 AM
Salamander Burgermuffin

We got hoppity from Atwoods, which is sorta a farm & feed store. I saw them there, and fell totally in love.. i knew absolutely nothing about rabbits.. but i just had to pet him and love him, and he let me pick him up, so i cuddled this tiny little ball of fur.. and i held him for the half hour or that david made me walk around the store looking at boring stuff, and i couldnt put him back down. so we got him. with my tax refund check as soon as we got home i got online to read all about rabbits (and i found pawtalk!) looking back i really kinda wish we didnt get him.. i dont like the fact that atwoods sells rabbits.. they know nothing about them, some breeder brings them in, and they sell them, usually in pairs, to whoever.. to tons of people who will never look up the proper nutrition.. and the only rabbit food they sell is an alfalfa mix, which is really unhealthy.. and all there packaged hay is always brown and dry.. and well i generally just dont like that store... and i hate the idea that i encouraged them.. But i do love my hoppity.. even if all his hay makes me sneeze sometimes.

My Furry Family
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 08:09 AM

Smile Wicket and ????

We got Wicket from and local guy who has lots of farm animals. He got a couple of does a few years ago and pretty soon he found out they obviously weren't both does. Now there are bunnies EVERYWHERE!! They get out and run the neighborhood all the time. One of the moms had a nest of babies and when they left the nest he caught them in a live trap so they wouldn't get hurt and that's how we got Wicket. He really is too young to be on his own, but he's eating GREAT and doing really well. He's just SOOOOOO tiny!

And our new bunny is a baby mini lop from a petting zoo that was at our local fair. We pick him up on Sunday!!!! I can't wait. I hope they'll be good friends!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 12:53 PM

I took in Baby & Jackpot to foster, and ended up adopting them. Baby had been an SPCA bunny, then was adopted from a woman who also adopted Jackpot who was from a drug house and lived in an aquarium with his brother & sisters. They couldn't hop, and only knew how to slid around on their bellies in their own messes
I took in the boys from that lady who 'could no longer care for them'.
Soon after the boys came home I found Aniseed covered in car oil in my neighbors yard, I found her original family who had 'let her go free' and no longer wanted her.

Bo came from my little cousin who's in college now and her family was moving and said "rabbits got to go".

Ebony & Mittens were advertised as two lop bunnies one with a spinal injury. Thinking what was going to happen to a handicap bunny broke my heart. So I picked them up and started fostering them, though I have not adopted them I don't see them going to any other home as I would be SO picky and well I don't want to see them go through the stress of another move. yeah, there not going anywhere.
Kyoto a "temporary" foster bunny now lives with them LOL... yeah i guess he's staying for a while too.

I also have 3 more foster bunnies and then 4 that are staying with me just a bit longer until I can take them to our shelter (The organization I volunteer for now has a small free run shelter).
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 09:04 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Oliver and Ophelia were adopted from the SPCA a few days after we lost our first (and bestest) bunny Tabatha. We were devestated by the loss of Tabatha but Jay (and so was I) was sure that she would want us to have more bunnies. So off to the SPCA we went. I was not completely ready yet but I had seen a bunny there and knew that his time maybe running out.
When we got there he had been adopted the day before. Jay spotted Oliver and Ophelia. That was pretty much it for him. They had been brought in together so we assumed they were brother and sister. They were both listed as 3 months.
Penelope was also a SPCA bunny. I saw her week after week at PetSmart. Every week she was so friendly and sweet. I really wanted a friendly bunny since the othere two would rather not deal with me. (they are slowly getting better) Well one week she was in her cage completely depressed. I couldn't stand it so I talked to Jay and she came home as a foster - yeah, right.
That was March 11th and she is not going anywhere!

I didn't know a thing about bunnies when I found Tabby. I have learned an enormous amount and this site has been the best source of information ever!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

One more story to add here...

Lucy- After taking in three adult buns, I wanted to get one from a breeder. I wanted a young bun, and with my allergies, I have to be careful about breeds. So I looked up two breeders, and emailed both of them. One responded very quickly, she had a little torty girl who would be too small to breed, and doesn't meet her standards for show (although she said she would probably win if shown, but she has really high standards). So yesterday I drove out to meet her, and came home with Lucy. She's 6 weeks old, the cutest little lionhead. I had originally planned on introducing her to Desiree so they could be buddies, but Desi is being too aggressive, so I might go back to the breeder in a few weeks for another one of her babies, from a different litter. He's a black otter, and that color is not accepted for show, so she can't show him. He's the smallest of his litter, if I get him, he will be named Ricky, and then Desiree will be renamed Nora, because that name suits her better, anyways.

4 cats: Radar, Oscar, Mackintosh, Qwilleran
1 dog: Daphne
3 rabbits: Barbarella Bunny. DC's Lucy, Ricky
1 daddy-long leg spider: Spidey
8 assorted tarantulas
1 madagascar hissing cockroach: Lady
3 chickens
1 ball python: Eve
1 corn snake: Charisma
1 California kingsnake: Honey
1 tortoise: Charlie
2 Mali Uromastyx: Nick and Nora
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 02:40 PM
is a little "special"

Smudge was from a breeder who didnt want him. He has bad markings: a black spot on his lip and a white spot on his tummy (there for named "Smudge"). Since he couldnt be a show bunny his breeder had to get rid of him, and now hes mine!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 08:04 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Well now we have another bunny. If you read my other post you will know that he was found by a girl I know in Central Park. He was hopping up to strangers for attention. He is amazingly sweet and laid back. He does not seem to be afraid of anything. He is such a special bunny I don't know how anyone could have left him there. I looked on Craigslist and Petfinder and didn't find anyone missing their bunny.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 02:53 AM
The Title Fairy Was Here

All mine buns are from breeders, Syroo my dutch is from show parents so was Giles the Netherland dwarf i used to own, the others were from hobby breeders - (breeding rabbits as a hobby).

Come see more of my fur babies at
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator

I can add Barnaby's story now!

I guess he was kind of a rescue. He was originally from a breeder, but then the family that bought him couldn't keep him because the father was allergic to him. The emailed me to see if I would take him, or knew anyone who would (people email about rabbits a lot) and I decided to take him in since I had been considering getting another bunny anyways, and he wasn't too far away from me. I met the guy who had him at Grand Central Station in NYC to pick him up - an odd place to get a bunny I think, lol.

Tags
farm animals, house rabbit, local shelter, mini lop, mixed breed, mixed breeds, netherland dwarf, rabbit food, red eyes, vet visit, vet visits