How long does it take? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

How long does it take?

How long does it take for a rabbit to warm up to a new home? I adopted a 4 year old rabbit out, and the guy thinks I lied about the rabbit because she acted nothing like I described her to be. After two weeks, she is finally warming up to him, but now there are more problems. He went out a got a bunny, and now my older girl doesn't seem to be litter box trained. I think she is establishing her territory in front of the other rabbit. He thinks I gave him wrong information about her being litter box trained. I am to the point I wish he would just give her back. I gave him a two week trial, which ended Friday, but he wants another week. Any suggestion on what I should do? This is the first rabbit I have adopted out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 09:19 PM
Rodentologist

It really depends on the individual rabbit. I've had rabbits that went from home to home and never batted an eye -- they just weren't phased at all. Some take months to warm up and adjust.

However, it's pretty normal for a rabbit to lose their box training in a new home, even if there aren't other rabbits there. The new owner has to be committed to cleaning up and working on the manners again until the bunny settles in.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 04:42 PM
Betta Bomb

Yea, buddy needs to be prepared that bunnies are territorial and will not usually open their paws to another rabbit without establishing territory and dominance. He needs to stop being a p.rick about it, the rabbit is 4 yrs old and used to having things a certain way- rabbits dont generally like a lot of change. :/
I hope things work out for him and bunny.

Tags
adopting rabbits