How long does it usually take? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

Red face How long does it usually take?

Well Rusty is going through a full shedding and he looks so funny right now! Poor guy. I have experienced a full shedding with only one of my rabbits before and I think it took a few weeks. I've had Rusty for about two weeks now and he was already majorly shedding when I got him. It looks like he is nowhere near the end of it, so I was wondering if there is a general rule on how long it usually takes? Does it depend on the breed of rabbit?

Also, I was wondering if someone could suggest a brush to use on rex fur. The wire one I have now seems to bother him, but it worked great on my longer haired bunnies. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 01:13 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

A soft slicker brush is great for rabbits! And I think Molly and shadow shed for about a month to 6 weeks...not too sure, wasn't pay heaps of attention but I know it was ****! They lost theirs all through the middle of them first and so they had long fur on their sides, chest and belly and that took forever to shed!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 02:19 AM

A Slicker brush is great for some rabbits. Rex and Mini Rex generally shouldn't be subjected to that kind of treatment as it has been shown on a number of occaisions to damage their fur. Not a huge problem if you don't ever plan on showing or anything, but still, something to consider. And there are still those who show that will use a slicker brush anyway.

I know that for the most part, the shorter the hair on the rabbit, the easier it is to remove it with just a damp (note: not a sopping wet hand) hand brushing over the coat.

I believe that a first shedding will take a bit longer (the shedding of the junior coat) but after that, it depends on what time of year, and the temperature differences between seasons.

Hopefully Rusty will get over his shedding soon!

With our rabbits (mini rex) we've found that they shed more in the fall than they do in the spring, and even still, they don't shed that much. It's nice with the mini rex, because usually just a lot of petting takes away the excess fur.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 11:40 AM

Get a horse grooming block. Brushes only ruin a rex coat. A horse grooming block will pull the dead hair out without damaging the new coat.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 03:27 PM

Oh, also, for how long it takes, it depends more on the individual rabbit than the breed. Some bloodlines produce rabbits that shed out very quickly, whereas others produce rabbits that take FOREVER to shed out. I had one buck that was almost always in a moult! I did not breed him because this is not a desirable trait. Ideally (for a show line) they should moult fairly quickly once a year.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-30-2004, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info guys.

Carmen, you're hilarious.

velvetrabbit I did notice that a lot of hair comes off when I pet him!With my other bunnies I had to use a brush to pull it out and it would come out in huge clumps. With Rusty (mini-rex) its like there's this short fuzz everywhere. He looks so funny right now. He has all these lines going through him. His face is the worst! I'm anxious to see what he will look like when he's done, since I just got him and I've never seen him with a normal coat. Thanks again for the info.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2004, 04:28 AM

I hope he finishes his shedding soon!

I love the mini rex coat It's such a joy to pet, even when in moult!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2004, 10:36 AM

LOL, yeah! They stick out in little clumps on rex-type fur. They do look like a walking fuzzy ball when they moult. I just went through that with mine. Mine are almost finished moulting, thankfully, as the house was starting to have more dustbunnies from the fur than real bunnies!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2004, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. Rusty is almost done! He still has some lines running through his fur on his sides, face, and behind. His back has all new fur and so does most of his face. So he should be done soon. But guess who is just starting to molt? Sonora! She has thicker longer fur that needs to be brushed when she is shedding. I filled up the whole brush with a few strokes! She also molted a little in the summer so I'm wondering if its going to be a full shedding this time.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 09:54 PM

Taikai is the last one to cling onto her old fur. She has a few tufts of loose hair on her chubby little bottom. LOL.

Tags
mini rex