How much do you feed your rabbit? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2004, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Misses Her Smilie Titles

How much do you feed your rabbit?

I feed each of my rabbits two thirds a cup of food a day. My rabbits are both five pound mini lops and need that much food, otherwise they won't have any energy. Of course, they also get to run around outside on almost every nice day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2004, 01:52 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I've been told by my rabbit rescue and have also read that you should feed 1/2 cup of pellets per 5 lbs of body weight. Hay should be the main part of the diet and they should always have an unlimited amount, but pellets should be limited.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2004, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Misses Her Smilie Titles

My rabbits definitely have unlimited hay, and one carrot for each a day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2004, 03:35 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

I give 1/2 cup of pellets, unlimited hay, and 1 cup of fresh veggies every other day

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2004, 11:45 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millimi
My rabbits definitely have unlimited hay, and one carrot for each a day.
They should actually get lots of veggies every day, especially greens. The healthiest diet is unlimited hay, at least 2 cups of veggies and greens, and a small amount of pellets. Veggies are very important for their digestive systems.

Here's some info from www.rabbit.org
"What quantities of food should I feed mature adults? (1 to 5 years)
Unlimited timothy, grass hay, oat hay, straw
1/4 to 1/2 cup pellets per 6 lbs. body weight (depending on metabolism and/or proportionate to veggies)
Minimum 2 cups chopped vegetables per 6 lbs. body weight
fruit daily ration no more than 2 oz. (2 TBL) per 6 lbs. body weight."

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2004, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Misses Her Smilie Titles

That's interesting. I mean I don't limit the veggies to carrots, I give them other things too. Like one leaf of lettuce every other month and parsley and turnips, and they get those sticks with veggies and stuff on them. They also love getting the Raviolos rom Vitakraft. I'll definitely give them more veggies now, though.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2004, 10:40 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millimi
That's interesting. I mean I don't limit the veggies to carrots, I give them other things too. Like one leaf of lettuce every other month and parsley and turnips, and they get those sticks with veggies and stuff on them. They also love getting the Raviolos rom Vitakraft. I'll definitely give them more veggies now, though.
The treats from pet stores are considered to be junk food for bunnies. I don't even buy them. If you give them enough veggies every day, they don't need any treats. You should definitely be feeding veggies every day. I usually get a few bunches of cilantro, parsley, and italian parsley from the grocery store every few days. Each morning they get one bunch of parsley and one bunch of cilantro. I also add in some baby carrots and broccoli.

I don't mean to sound like a bunny know-it-all! I'm just giving you the info that I've read and have been told by vets and bunny rescues on what the healthiest bunny diet is.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2004, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Misses Her Smilie Titles

The only treats from the store that I buy are from Vitakraft. I know the rest are definitely junk, since they have nuts in them and nuts are a huge no-no for bunnies. Vitakraft in my opinion has good quality treats, so I feed them to my bunnies. In limits, though.
Also, my bunnies can have fresh grass every day they're outside in their run. More veggies on the way though!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2004, 04:59 PM
Part of the Pack

My bunny could not live with out the carrot Bonbinos from Vitakraft!! He loves them!! Its a good way for me to reward his good behavior or give him one when he is scared during a thunder storm

Tags
grass hay, mini lop, mini lops, oat hay, pet store, pet stores