How much fruit and veg do you all give? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

How much fruit and veg do you all give?

My babies are almost four months old and I have been gradually introducing them to veggies for almost a month. They reguarly now have a tiny handfull of spring greens each night before bed. We have given them each a half of baby carrot to try twice, and each a half slice of banana twice also. They loved this and definitley were looking for more!! How much can we safely give them and how often?? I have read that some make "salads" for thier buns each night that have both fruit and veggies and others say no more than a baby carrot once a week, and use bananas and apples etc... only as a treat every couple of weeks.
How much do you guys give your bunnies and how often??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

Hello!

I'm one of the ones who gives their bunnies nightly salads.

My rabbits don't eat pellets daily - I do have pellets for my bunnies, but they get them very rarely because even feeding my rabbits very small amounts of pellets daily caused one of my rabbits to develop teeth problems. He would eat only the pellets everyday and way less hay, causing his teeth to become over grown.

I compensate not feeding my rabbits pellets by feeding them more fresh greens and veggies. I don't feed them very much fruit, but every night they get a bowl of greens and veggies. Once in awhile I'll throw a piece of fruit on top for a treat. The less pellets you feed, the more greens/veggies you should give them.

But even rabbits who get pellets can benefit from fresh foods. The HRS recommends you feed them greens/veggies daily.

Take a look at these links from the HRS, they can help you determine how much and what to feed your rabbits.

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/diet.html
http://www.rabbit.org/care/veggies.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 10:02 PM
Part of the Pack

I give my buns a handful of salad twice a day and a handful of pellets twice a day and of course unlimited timothy hay. I think I need to cut back on the pellets and salad because they are not eating enough of the hay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 10:52 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I give my rabbits a salad every day . They also get pellets but only about a handful or two. If we run out I don't worry too much, I just give them extra vegetables.

I mainly feed leafy green veggies and herbs such as romaine lettuce, escarole, red leaf lettuce, dandelion greens, endive, parsley, mint, basil, cilantro, carrot greens, radicchio, baby spinach, kale, bok choy, clovers, etc.

Kale and spinach are fed very sparingly, though.

They also get at least one other kind of vegetable daily and some that I feed are cucumbers, carrots, celery, alfalfa sprouts, broccoli, and brussels sprouts.

I don't feed a lot of fruit, I tend to use it more as a reward. They get a few pieces a week max. When I do feed fruit it's usually apple slices, grapes, bananas, papaya, strawberries, cranberries, blueberries, watermelon, or pineapple.

I usually buy banana chips and dried papaya slices to use as treats .

Of course they have unlimited hay, too. I rotate between timothy, orchard, herb, and brome.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 11:21 PM
Adolescent Pup

Go with what it says in the links Dragonrain posted.

Flash is a little guy (2.25 lbs last month at the vet), and we're not sure of his age, so we suspect he's still growing, but we're not really sure. So I just give him 1/8 of a cup of pellets in the morning and a bowl of salad in the evening, per my vet's recommendation. I'm just not sure how big the salad should be, so I think I may be spoiling the little guy with too much greens (maybe 2 cups worth?). The salad is usually 3-5 of romaine, parsley, cilantro, kale, spinach, celery (chopped up to keep the "strings" from sticking in his stomach), broccoli, or endive. I make sure he gets at least 3 types of veggies every night for variety of nutrition and taste. I also give him a baby carrot as a treat for going back in his cage when I need to lock him in, which is usually once or twice per day.

He also gets a big handful of hay in his cage twice per day and added to his litter box outside the cage once per day, and he usually finishes most of it. If he wasn't eating the hay, I'd probably consider cutting back the veggies a little, but he seems to be finishing all his pellets and veggies and still has room for plenty of hay, so I think he's just a growing boy with a big appetite.

And of course, I spoil him with the occasional treats, like a piece of banana or dried papaya treats. He didn't react to those at first, but now he actually begs for them. All I have to do is shake the bag and he comes running from across the room to get his treats.

--Fromper
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks for all the replies.......It sounds as if I am doing okay and mine eat tons of hay each, everyday. They only get a very small handfull of pellets each morning which is usually gone by afternoon, but they eat about 4-5 large handfulls of hay each day plus whatever they have in the litter boxes. Then the greens at night. Mine are still growing too I think( they have more than doubled in size since they came home at 7 wks!) and we just now are switching over from alfalfa hay to timothy per the vet recommondation. He told us that the alfalfa was bst for them as babies. I think Leo would eat all day if I did not make him come out fo his cage to play all the time. He ends up cutting playtime short sometimes to go back after more hay!!