How old am I??? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

How old am I???

Hi all,

I adopted a Mini-Lop from the animal shelter yesterday and no one there was bun-savvy; therefore they had no clue about the sex of the bunny or how old it was.

I have sexed *her*, but I have no clue about determining a buns age. When I got my Princess Midnight, I got her from a breeder so he knew exactly how old she was.

Based on the age/behavior of Midnight, I'd venture to guess that Harmony (the adopted bun) is not too far from her age (5 months). I'd venture to guess that Harmony is about 4 months, but I'd like to find a way to be a little more accurate if possible, so that I can have her spayed in a timely fashion and get these two Divas bonded. :-)

Thanks!

Mimi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 01:13 PM
I Stash Little Debbies

it's probably a good assumption that she was an Easter present and anywhere from 3 - 5 months would be about right. most young buns at the shelters at this time of year are Easter buns that the novelty wore off for the previous owner. i just got a little dutch boy (who was an Easter bun) and he's only approx 3-1/2 months old, i guess that young just because his "parts" aren't ready to be snipped yet. it's a good idea to get her checked at the vet anyway, and a bunny savy vet could give you a better idea of her age. with buns, it's very hard to tell their age unless they're at the extremes, either really young or really old.

good luck!!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 01:17 PM
I Stash Little Debbies

i love that you call them divas!
my Daisy is the only girl out of my 4 buns and she is just that - a diva!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 01:30 AM
Playful Pup

Wait, so how old do they have to be to get neutered/spayed?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks Jewels, Harmony will be seen by Midnight's vet on Saturday morning. I'm sure you can relate to how difficult it is to find a bun-savvy vet, so I have to basically wait until he is at a certain location on certain days to get medical treatment/services for my buns. God forbid there's an emergency right? LOL!!

Yes darling, they truly are DIVAS to the nth degree! Does are so *prissy* to me and they walk around here literally as though they are royalty! LOL!!

Mimi
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Nads,

The typical age for spay/neutering is approximately 5 months for males, 6 for females; however, I had Princess Midnight done just shy of 5 months. She was already showing behavior that her hormones were raging so I wanted it done as soon as possible to avoid her nipping or acting aggressively towards my young children. She came through just fine and it wasn't done so early that it would stunt her growth or anything.

Also, if your bun is a female, it's important to have her fixed not only to avoid litters that you may not want, but also reduces the risks of ovarian/uterine/mammarian cancer.

Hope this helped!

Mimi

Some vets will even do buns as young as 4 months. I'd at least wait until 4.5 or as close to 5 as possible. I guess it all depends on the bun as well as the vet.'s personal preference ya know?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 12:58 PM
I Stash Little Debbies

lucky for me the vet my family has used since i was little was very bunny wise - he actually breeded them for pets and show bunnies(surprising for this area) for a few years. he fixed Charlie, and he did Mr. Creepies yesterday (he's now resting comfortably back in his room at home). my vet is great. he clips their claws for me and gives them a little check up at the same time for about $6 - he checks their teeth, ears, bellies, etc. - plus it helps that he's only a 15 minute drive from my house

but yeah, if i didn't have him i don't know where i'd take my buns. there's no one else really close by that i know of.... i count my blessings

Tags
animal shelter