How old does a baby bun need to be before you take it from mommy bun... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

How old does a baby bun need to be before you take it from mommy bun...

What age can they be seperated?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 03:11 PM
Playful Pup

There are many answers online ranging from 2 weeks to 12 weeks but I'd probably say around 4 weeks is a reasonable time.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 09:21 PM
Turbo's mommy.

i just got my baby bunny about 3 days ago. He's 3 weeks old.

Turbo Bunny

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 12:19 AM
Super Moderator

For health reasons, I think that rabbits shouldn't be weaned before at the least 4-5 weeks, with 6-8 weeks being better for the babies. In some states, it is illegal to sell baby rabbits under 8 weeks of age.

Quote:
1. Weaning Too Young

If the bunny suffering from runny stool is a baby, how old is he? If younger than eight weeks, and not nursing, his runny stool problem may be due to his being weaned too young. Many pet stores will (illegally) sell rabbits younger than eight weeks of age (and some as young as four weeks!), because that is when they are still "cute" and more apt to be purchased on a whim. Sadly, many of these babies will succumb to intestinal disorders.

Unlike most mammals, baby rabbits have a sterile lower intestine until they begin to eat solid food at the age of 3-4 weeks. It is during this time that their intestines are at their most critical phase, and the babies need their mother's milk, which changes pH and provides vital antibodies that help the baby gradually adjust to his changing intestinal environment. Without mother's milk, a baby starting to eat solid food is highly susceptible to enteritis (inflammation of the intestinal lining), which can cause fatal diarrhea.
From this site:
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/poop.html

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 07:51 PM
Betta Bomb

oooh VERY interesting indeed, Michelle
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 11:19 PM
Playful Pup

I personally wince when I see them being sold under six weeks, and when I was looking for one I was strongly preferring the ones that were about eight weeks. In the end I got Holly when he was EXACTLY eight weeks.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 11:18 PM
Turbo's mommy.

ok well i noticed turbo's poo is sometimes round and looks like pellets and other times it in like ... a line...ish and dark black.

is that because i got him too young? or is it because he doesn't get enough of something...

Turbo Bunny

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 12:45 AM
Playful Pup

Rabbits have two kinds of poo. Fecal matter is the little round pellets that I'm getting waaaaay too used to accidentally stepping on. Luckily it's when they're dry and I can vacuum those ones up really easily. Cecotropes are the squishier wetter ones, and those ones are full of nutrients. As gross as it sounds, the rabbit should be eating them to get the nutrients it missed the first time round. They should be more like a bunch of grapes stuck together though (except obviously smaller), rather than very wet. If he's only four weeks old and you're worried about runny poo, I would take him to the vet and see if you can get something to help him - the paragraph I found about this says:

"At the first sign of runny stool in a baby rabbit, off to the vet! Treatment for diarrhea in baby rabbits will probably include subcutaneous fluid thereapy, and administration of oral probiotics. Lactobacillus acidophilus powder (NOT yogurt, which can make the problem worse) suspended in clean drinking water and carefully administered via syringe seems to help foster a healthy intestinal environment and may even soothe intestinal inflammation. A very small amount of a clay-based product such as Kaopectate can help solidify the stool and stop the cycle."

Unless anyone knows better? But I know I was going straight to google to get exact specifications of what bunny poo should look like yesterday when Holly did some wet ones outside his cage. XD Luckily it was just cecotropes, he doesn't usually come out of his cage at that time and I hadn't seen them very closely until then.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 02:48 PM
Turbo's mommy.

its not runny ... its just little grapes
good to know he's fine ... thanks sooo much, that was really bothering me.

Turbo Bunny

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 09:30 AM
Newborn Pup

I think you should take a baby bun away from his mother at 6-8 weeks no earlier.

Tags
seperating baby