How old is your rabbit? - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

View Poll Results: What age is your rabbit?
Under 3 18 64.29%
4-6 8 28.57%
7-9 4 14.29%
10+ 1 3.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 06:46 PM
Paw Talk's prodicle son .

=^o^= Schneeball ist drei jahre alt

= ^ _ ^ = Toky-Ohki must be 6 yrs old now

--------------------------------

But the user Tobybun here on PT , her Chinchilla Blue is at least 15.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* sings *

He's in the Jailhouse now , he's in the Jailhouse now , well I told him once or twice .

To stop chewing wood and Pooping nice , he's in the jailhouse now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 11:28 AM

Ollie is just over a year old, about a year and three months
Jett is around 8 or 9 months old now.

I can't believe it, we have had Ollie almost a full year now. My baby is growing up so fast.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 03:21 PM

Kibbles (who is my first) is 1 1/2, Zenith (adopted) is 1 and Bambi (foster) is 1. Both of them were last years abandoned Easter rabbits. I hope they all live to be over 10.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 01:29 AM

Lily, a mini lop, and my first rabbit, I got as an adult from an animal shelter, so I don't know how old she is but I've had her for about two years now. Finn, a lion head, is 1 1/2 yrs and Hannah, a flemish giant is, 7 months (and 12 lbs!).
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 11:07 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo
She was housed outside in a really nice hutch, it had several places for her to hide and it was insulated, so it was cool in the summer and warm in the winter and was about the size of a small shed (I know, I know hutches are bad, but I was a kid and this was my parents decision). She lived a good life, and was fed fresh vegetables daily in addition to her rabbit food and fresh hay.
All hutches are not equal, as you have just proved. The oldest rabbits I have known have been hutch rabbits that were given plenty of attention and out of cage time. Outdoor rabbits build up immunities to things they are exposed to daily. Having a hay filled hutch, they don't snack on carpet or wires. They don't get exposed to toxins such as cleaning supplies or deadly teflon vapors. If the yard is quiet, outdoor rabbits can be less stressed then in a noisy house with fighting kids etc. I can't say that outdoor rabbits are better off than indoor rabbits, it all depends on what the rabbit parent/owner can provide. To find cases of neglected outdoor rabbits, one only needs to go to an animal shelter, but to learn about cases of abused rabbits, you would have to go to a battered women's shelter, where animal rescue organizations almost never are present.
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 12:10 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

One last point about rabbits I forgot to mention. Rabbits have a keen sense of smell, which they use to explore their environment. Rabbits like to stand on their back feet and sniff the air. A house rabbit that has to stay alone in a cage for long hours has nothing to smell but what is in front of him. An outdoor rabbit gets to smell different things every time the wind changes, and therefore gets more mental stimulation than a caged house rabbit. I wonder if this has anything to do with a rabbit's life span?
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

I was under the impression that outdoor rabbits usually don't live as long as indoor rabbits. My old rabbit lived outdoors, and although he did live a very long time, there were a few close calls with him living outside. Once, the neighbors dog got into the yard and tore a hole right in the side of the wire hutch, for example. I personally wouldn't have kept him outside, but I was very young when we got him and my parents kept him out there.

But I don't think Zeus gets any less mental stimulation then an outdoor rabbit would get. There are smells for them inside too - not to mention hours of time outside of the cage and plenty of toys - and the smell of a dog or other predator might scare an outside bun. Inside rabbits get the mental stimulation of getting to always be inside with the family.

I'm not saying anything against people who keep rabbits outside - just be aware that there are a lot of dangers with keeping them outside as well. Personally, I would never keep another bun outside because I love having Zeus in the house with me and being able to interact with him all the time inside. If I kept him outside, I would only be able to take him out on a leash (or else the hawk would probably get him) and I wouldn't be able to have him of the cage for hours and hours a day.

Anyways, I know plenty of house rabbits who have enjoyed very long lifespans, and I don't think that inside buns get any less mental stimulation then outside buns

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 12:35 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

If you were going to compare a neglected indoor rabbit with a neglected outdoor rabbit, the outdoor rabbit would be slighly better off because of the outdoor smells and they would have a better chance of being rescued because they might be in view of others.

I have heard of no non-bias studies on the life span of rabbits, so I don't think anyone really knows which rabbits live longer.

When it comes to keeping rabbits, most people model what they see, so if keeping one rabbit alone in a hutch is what people grew up with, a person might think that is the way rabbits should be kept. If you keep your rabbit inside, you teach your family how to take care of rabbits, but if you keep your rabbits outside, you teach the whole neighborhood, good or bad practices.

There are pros and cons in keeping rabbits outdoors and indoors. In my situation, keeping my rabbits outside is better because my dogs wouldn't leave them alone. I keep their hutch inside a pen where they can't be harrassed by dogs and have a quiet life with plenty of room to run. We live in a small house where there would be no room to run inside, unlike outside where they have a large pen to play in.

I think there is really no good answer to what rabbits live longer, those who live outside or house rabbits? It is one of those case by case things. I rescued my rabbits from an abusive house (inside), and I love keeping my rabbits outside because I love being outside. Most rabbit people I have talked to tell me that I will forget about my rabbits outside and neglect them, but that is not my experence.

Let's face it. We don't all have the same kinds of homes, families, environments etc., so outdoors or indoors, I think the rabbits that live the longest are the ones with the best care, and that would take a case by case study. We would have to compare well cared for house rabbits with well cared for outdoor rabbits to get the answer. Many times people have compared outdoor shelter rabbits with well cared for house rabbits, and that isn't a fair comparison, because it leaves out all the abused and neglected house rabbits that are not brought in by animal control because they remain undiscoverd in homes.
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 05:27 PM
is a little "special"

Smudge is an outdoor rabbit, but hes still VERY spoiled! He has a really big $200 hutch we built and lives next door to our other bun Oreo. His hutch has LOTS of toys and treats and I even keep his little fleece blankie I made him in there! He also gets attention daily. If the weather is bad or Im just worried about him for some reasen of another he just comes inside, and I clean out his hutch every week and bathe him every other week to protect him from diseases. I would love to keep him inside but his indoor cage is small and I cant get a bigger one and my parents say I have to keep him out side or I cant have him. *cries* But I do my best 2 keep him happy. I just wish I got him fixed...
But when I move out Ill bring him inside and Ill give him a whole room to himself!

I would reccomend keeping bunnies inside, but if you keep them outside give them lots of attention and protect them from diseases and wild animals, cuase thats how our first 2 buns died. *cries again*

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 04:55 PM

Smile

Wicket is 4 weeks old!!

Tags
animal control, animal rescue, animal shelter, flemish giant, house rabbit, house rabbits, mini lop, pet owner, rabbit food, wild animal, wild animals