How you got your rabbit - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

How you got your rabbit

Tell about how you got your bun, when, where, why, how, who and all that jazz. Don't forget pictures!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

give your love no matter what.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 08:40 AM
Playful Pup

I got Snoopy from an Agricultural show. I wasn't prepare to buy him, but my friend wanted to get one from there and as we were choosing, she was doing all she could to tempted me to get one, and there were so many cute bunny there that I couldn't resist. So I bought him from the show.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0022.jpg (57.3 KB, 4 views)
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

I got Barnaby from a family who decided they didn't want him anymore when he was 8 months old. Chris and I picked him up at Grand Central station in NYC during the summer of 2007.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 09:24 AM
Betta Bomb

Acacia i decided to get when i was living with my cousin and she had a boy so i decided to get a girl spay her and bond them...didnt work that easily! he only wanted humpies off her she came from a family in Torbay who were selling her and her sibbies. i got her in January 2007.

Akina was actually bred by a breeder and Dawna (geisha girl ) adopted her and all that "jazz" Dawna ran into some difficult times last November_i think_ and needed to find a "tempoary" home for her,so i agreed and fell in love and kept her.so she's 3 now i had her for a year.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

ooh kakayee snoopy is soo cute!

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 10:50 AM
Adolescent Pup

I came home from the supermarket one night after work last April, and there was this little red bunny wandering around outside my apartment building. My sister has had rabbits for years, so I already knew enough about them to recognize from his body language and behavior that he was lost and confused, not a wild rabbit. We rarely have wild ones around here, and they're never red like this little guy. He was wandering around tasting the grass and leaves at 10 pm, trying to find something he could eat.

I tried to approach him, but he was shy at first. So I put down my grocery bags, pulled out a baby carrot, and tossed it to him. He didn't know what it was at first, but he figured it out pretty quick. After a few minutes (and another baby carrot), he let me come close enough to pet him, and I was able to grab him when he wasn't expecting it. I brought him into my apartment, then had to figure out what to do with him.

He was pretty laid back at first, wandering around my living room sniffing things. I closed the bedroom door to keep him from getting to my computer wires and stuff (which I still do). He marked territory a little bit with a row of poops along one wall of my living room, but mostly, he picked a spot behind my chair in the dining room as his primary spot to do his business. Seven months later, that's still where his litter box outside the cage is located.

That first night, I couldn't get ahold of my sister for advice, and animal control said they'd send someone for him in the morning as long as he was under control for now. I still had the box that my last computer came in, so I put him in that with a towel and a bowl of water, and I locked the box in a tiled closet, so he wouldn't be able to damage my carpet or get out overnight, even if he chewed through or jumped out of the box (both of which he did eventually do, since it took me nearly a week to decide I was keeping him and buy him a permanent cage).

But I didn't have anything to feed him but carrots, and I knew you shouldn't give them too much carrot. Luckily, the one good thing that came from calling animal control was that they asked if there was a 24 hour store near me where I could get food, which reminded me of the 24 hour Walmart near my apartment. So I went and bought him a big bag of bunny pellets (the smallest they had was 10 lbs!) and a water bottle that he never did figure out how to use. Watching him dive into those pellets, after he'd been much more tentative about eating the first carrot, confirmed that he knew what pellets were and that he'd had them before, so that definitively confirmed my suspicion that he wasn't a wild bunny.

I ended up never turning him in to animal control. I put up a couple of signs in the neighborhood, and let the management of the apartments in my area know I had him, but nobody ever came looking for him. Given that this happened a week after Easter, I'm assuming he was somebody's "Easter Bunny" that got dumped.

And Flash has been living with me ever since. My vet thinks he was probably 4-6 months old when I found him, which fits the theory that he was intentionally bred for the Easter season, so that makes him just about a year old now.

--Fromper
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 10:55 AM
Betta Bomb

wow-intense. im surprised he hung around long enough for you to grab him. if it was nervous at all like Acacia would have been he woul have been gone in a flash!!! -pun intended
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 01:11 PM
Rodentologist

My two buns are fosters right now. Their mom reconciled with her ex-husband and moved across country and couldn't take the rabbits. They're both around 8, but think they're 1!

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 03:38 PM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple-Hops View Post
wow-intense. im surprised he hung around long enough for you to grab him. if it was nervous at all like Acacia would have been he woul have been gone in a flash!!! -pun intended
Flash is fairly laid back, although he definitely has "personal space" issues. He actually bit me the other day when I went to pet him while he was "hiding" in a cardboard box. I think that he thinks that when he's that enclosed, nobody should be able to touch him. He also sometimes grunts at me when I reach into his cage, but I'm usually bringing food when I do that, so he doesn't bite me.

As I said though, when I first found him, he was a little shy, so I couldn't approach him at first, but he let me come within about 5 feet with no problem. Then I tossed him the carrot, and came a little closer while he was distracted, until he let me touch him to pet him. And once he was busy with a carrot and letting me scratch behind his ears, I was able to grab him.

--Fromper
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 06:28 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I got Elvis from the Catskill Animal Sanctuary a few years ago. I wasn't originally going to adopt him, I was there to adopt a different rabbit, Stash. But then we found out that Elvis had no friends...except Stash . We felt bad and decided to take him too.

When we were picking him up, I remember everyone who worked there was saying things like "oh, you're taking the bad bunny?!" . You see, had had a lot of aggression problems and also dug tunnels everywhere.

We've worked out most of his issues, and I've found him to be a very intelligent and playful rabbit .

Fiona was from a well-known breeder in my area a couple years ago. I met her at a rabbit show, and HAD to have one of the babies, haha. I had always loved the French Angoras and there are literally never any in shelters.

Yuki was from a classmate of mine who had to rehome her rabbit. She knew I already had a couple bunnies, and asked me. I just got her a couple months ago .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 08:55 PM
can't think of one, help

My littlebunny boy was rescued out of the snow at my house the day after Christmas about ten years ago (might be nine) with another bunny. I had just lost my sweetie bunny girl to a disease and kept him but let the other bunny get adopted by a retirement home. He's a sweet little black bunny, but getting along in years now. His cagemate, also a rescue from the lawn about 6mos after him, died a couple of years ago. But he's still with me. Sorry don't have many pix and not good at uploading them.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 12:35 AM
Adolescent Pup

oh, here is where i kinda feel bad... i have mentioned this before though...

got our bun from a pet store...

my husband and i had decided that a rabbit would be a good pet for us. we did some research (though it's never enough...) we went to a nice small pet store near my parent's house to get a cage and stuff, and to price out what we would need. the plan was to have everything we needed when we found the perfect bun from a rescue. i wanted to be prepared.

while at the stupid pet store, i decided to play with the baby bunnies they had there. stupid idea.

granted, it's a nice little store. they only keep a couple of animals in stock, rabbits from local breeders, gerbils from local kids who ended up with a litter, that sort of thing...

so i fell in love. lucy was just so mellow and cute. she's a 'show bunny reject.' she came from a breeder that sells show animals, but she had some 'defects' that kept her from being shown.

so now, i have my lucy baby. i know that there are so many animals in shelters who need homes, but i really do believe that in the end, the pet picks us.

and in the future. i WILL NOT go into a pet store that sells animals. i will go to rescues.

but i love my baby.

George orwell
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanie81 View Post
and in the future. i WILL NOT go into a pet store that sells animals. i will go to rescues.

but i love my baby.

I agree Shanie81!

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 02:09 AM
Newborn Pup

We got our Ella from a small family owned pet store who deals with 2 local breeders. Breeders are hard to find here especially for Holland Lops. As there was no where else to get one and all the pet rescues didn't have any rabbits of any kind and some of them were kinda...disgustingly taken care of. I've read to never buy from a pet store...ya ya ya lol... It was a chain and they took very good care of them. Plus I got Ella on the exact day she arrived there. She's in great shape and health and a very happy loving bunny.

Ella came home to us Feb 13, 2009!!!!!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 05:48 PM
Newborn Pup

O I meant it wasn't a chain sorry for the typo.

Ella came home to us Feb 13, 2009!!!!!