Hutrch scratching! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Hutrch scratching!

I have 2 bunnies Fifi and Meggy Moo and theyre lionhead crosses. Weve had them from being 6 weeks old and theyre sisters. They get on great with each other (they have small shows of dominance occasionally like fake-mating!)
They have a large outdoor hutch with a big run underneath which is sat on concrete, we use straw and meadow grass in these and they have a wooden `hide` in their run too.
Meggy has been in the hutch scratching the floor on and off for the last couple of days, I know theyre basically rodents but does anyone know why they do this? Fifi doesnt do it and its only just started.
Any advice would be great thankyou!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 01:46 PM
is a little "special"

Some rabbits just love to dig... I dont think its a problem. Try filling a box with dirt or shredded paper and put in in there, so she can dig at that instead.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Thats a great Idea, I`ll give it a try! THANKYOU!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 04:47 PM
Rodentologist

Rabbits dig dens and have very strong digging instincts. Also they aren't rodents at all.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 04:54 AM Thread Starter

Ive put a seed tray full of nice soil in there with her to see if she likes it, havent heard any digging since last night so you might have hit the nail on the head there! Thanks again!

Happy Bun!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 06:44 PM
is a little "special"

No problem, glad I could help

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 04:07 AM Thread Starter

I checked them both yesterday and theyve made a nest in the soil tray! How cute!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 07:07 AM
Rodentologist

That's not a good sign. If they're nesting, they may be pregnant. If they're pregnant, it's likely that one of them is male. Rabbits dont' make nests like hamsters and gerbils to snuggle down in -- they nest when they're getting ready to have a litter or going through a false pregnancy.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 11:42 AM
Betta Bomb

Rabbits are Lagamorphs which pretty much aren't like rodents at all. (from the website http://mammals.suite101.com/article....and_lagomorphs)
Anatomical Features Rodents All Share
  • 1 pair of incisors in both upper and lower jaws.
  • The incisors continue to grow throughout the rodent’s life.
  • Heavy enamel on the front of the incisors and little on the back. This is how the rodent’s teeth keep a chiseled profile for gnawing.
  • The bones of the lower arm are distinct in that the elbow joint permits free motion of the forearm.
  • The hand usually has 5 fingers, however, the thumb may be almost nonexistent or absent.
  • Rodents have 3-5 toes.
  • They are predominately herbivores and omnivores.
  • The male’s penis contains a bone.
  • The male’s testicles are behind the penis.
The Order Lagomorpha

The name comes from the Latin words, “lagos”, meaning hare and “morphe” meaning form. It has only two families in it: leporidae (rabbits and hares) and ochotonidae (pikas). Lagomorpha members resemble rodents, however, in the early twentieth century; it was felt that the differences were significant enough to give them their own order.
Below are their classification traits:
  • 4 front incisors in their upper jaw.
  • Lagomorphs are almost wholly herbivores.
  • The male’s penis contains no bone.
  • The male’s testicles are in front of the penis.
The Order lagomorpha contains rabbits, hares (jack rabbits), and pikas. While there are classification differences for these three mammals, the one thing they have in common with the rodents is that their teeth continue to grow all of their lives. This makes it necessary for both rodents and lagomorphs to chew constantly to keep the teeth worn down.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

Theyre definitely females! Weve had them vet checked (I know theyre not infallable tho!) but theyve always made a little bed area in their hutch since they were kitts....I wouldnt be too worried about the prospect of babies tbh The bunnies belong to my 4 yr old daughter and shed be delighted!!
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 07:50 AM
Rodentologist

She may be delighted, but if there is an actual pregnancy do you have the resources to care for an entire litter of rabbits? Can you sex and separate them before they mate again? A 4 year old's job is to be delighted by babies, but the adults have to worry about the realities of dealing with living creatures.

Hopefully they're just weird bunnies. There are so many homeless bunnies these days!

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 04:40 PM
is a little "special"

I dont think theyres anything wrong with making a little nest as a place to sleep- Smudge does it all the time with his hay. But if they start pulling fur out, then you can worry about pregnancy.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 12:02 AM

Yeah Holly digs at the hay in his cage and makes little places to settle down in, they might well just be making themselves comfortable.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 05:17 AM Thread Starter

Weve got the resources (and all the love and TLC) if theres a pregnancy. My daughters onl;y responsibility is picking them the odd dandelion and goose-grass! I do all the cleaning and grooming stuff-and hubby does all the building of hides and things! Im considering getting them spayed anyway just to be safe! I like to think Im a responsible pet owner, the vet checked their sexes when they were 4 months old, old enough to sex but not quite old enough to breed. He thought they were lovely and `Fifi` has an unusual eye colouring half her eye is blue and half is brown, very pretty!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

Her eyes sound beautiful!

I'm not doupting that you wouldn't take great care of the babies, but their are already thousands of homeless bunnies in shelters as it is, there's no reason to bring more into the world. Especially if the parents don't have a pedigree and you don't know their genetic background.

Anyways, keep an eye on them because at 4 months old mistakes can be made with sexing them. Hopefully you really do have two females. I would highly suggest getting them spayed - females have a very high rate of reproductive cancer if they are not fixed.

Are they still enjoying their dig box? My bunnies looove theirs, they make such a mess with it though.

Tags
hutch scratching, lionheads