I almost did something bad - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I almost did something bad

I went to the pet store to pick up more Oxbow for the bunnies. The pet store near me that carries oxbow also sells bunnies. Well they have 2 boys right now that are free to a good home. They are both on hold for people. Then there were at least 5 baby bunnies that are just under 6 weeks old. I was surprised to see that they were not still with mom. Then there was a beautiful black and white bunny with a brand new litter. The babies were under the fur and you could just see the fur moving. I asked what they were going to do with Momma after she finished weaning her litter. The girl asked the manager and when she came back she said they were going to keep her. The girl then told me that the bunnies about 6 weeks were hers as well! She said that she was kept away from males but got pregnant. I know that babies can impregnant their mother but under 6 weeks! That sounds a bit crazy. Especially since the babies take about a month to have. Personally I think someone cleaning her cage was careless and placed her with a male. The poor girl looks so tired. Thankfully she was eating well and drinking well while I was there. I really want to get this bunny. I feel so badly that she has had 2 litters back to back. I am going to ask about her again. I have to go back because they were out the the Bunny T today. I know they will just get another girl bunny to breed. They don't always have bunnies though but I suppose they are gearing up to Easter.
Oh and the worst part is the girl handed me on of the almost 6 weeks old babies. Oh so sweet! He was this little tiny thing that was brown with bluish eyes. He just snuggled into my neck. I may have taken him home if they were sellling them now. They are not allowed to go home until the 16th. It's a good thing because I really lost my head and heart holding this little fuzz butt. She was not even sure how much they were selling them for. This one was the girls favorite and I think she was hoping I would say to hold him for me. As much as I would love him I keep thinking of momma. The girl told me she was very sweet and let her put her hands in the cage to clean it and even get close to the babies. I know I said only rescue bunnies but if I can get them to let me buy Momma I would so it in a heartbeat!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 06:32 PM

they probly want to keep her to breed her again! thats so sad.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 06:40 PM
Playful Pup

That's one thing I don't like about petshops, they don't seem to care about the animals as much as they should. Poor momma, hope they don't breed her again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 07:46 PM

exactly most of them are in it for the money, which i dont understand, you would think since they dont care about animals, why would htey have a pet shop??
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

I am worried that they want to breed her that is why they are not selling her. I only hope they will give her a break if they do. I am going back to try to get them to let me buy her. It would be perfect timing as I would be back from my works convention.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 05:28 AM
The Title Fairy Was Here

aww the poor bunbun i hope they let you have her

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Come see more of my fur babies at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 03:19 PM

Well i'm sure if they are using her for breeding, even if u take her they will just find another female to breed from
Poor bunbun.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

I know that even if they let me have her they WILL replace her with another poor girl bunny. I just felt so badly for her. She looked so tired. She seemed a bit thin to me too - but that could be all the fur she pulled out for the nest for the babies. I am sure her fur had not grown back from her first nest. And she had a nice amount of fur for the new babies. She was just so pretty.
I stopped for cat food at the Petsmart near me and as usual the SPCA was there with their "kids". They had two beautiful bunnies. One was very sweet. She was marked like a seal point and had tiny ears. She was not as small as a dwarf though. I am not sure exactly what she was. The other bunny was a rex. And she was REALLY soft. But she was not as friendly as the little bunny.
Jay says no more buns. He said I need to give our two more time to bond with me.
I will try but if the other pet store lets me buy Momma I cannot be sure I won't bring her home.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 02:30 AM

Maybe tell them Momma bunny looks old and sick and u will take her home and 'retire' her.
Then she get's a new loving home, and they don't get any money for her.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 11:58 AM

I have a hard time keeping my mouth shut when it comes to places like that. Hats off to you Kathydip for not taking all of them. By the way how do your dachsunds and bunnies get along? I have some people who are willing to foster but they have dachsunds.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 02:09 PM

i want a baby ducklikg for easter
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

I am going to speak with them tomorrow when I pick up more food.

As for the dogs - the buns have a bedroom upstairs and the dogs are downstairs. Every night I sit up stairs with them. I also take naps in their room. The buns don't seem relaxed enough and I think the dogs would be too excited near them. I don't want anything to happen so I am more comfortable this way. I would love to get the dogs and the buns together.

I always wanted a duckling too! Or maybe a baby chick. One day when I have my farm I will get one of each.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 08:15 PM

that sux...hope it works out for the best of the bun!!
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 10:35 PM

So what happened today?

I've gotten both of my boys at the pet store, shelters/rescues around me don't have rabbits. I would have to drive over an hour just to see one that did have some.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

They took her into the back again. The last time I was there the same lady that said they were keeping her was there. I want to see if another manager will agree to it. Jay will KILL me but I just feel awful for her.

Our SPCA almost always had bunnies. I bet most of them are from that store. Although I have seen people drop off pets to them and they give them away more than once. I even saw a dachshund there that was being given away.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny

Tags
baby bunnies, cat food, pet shop, pet store