i just have 2 questions about rabbits... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Question i just have 2 questions about rabbits...

1) does anyone use drops such as "over-dominance essence" from places like www.bioforce.co.uk and do they have any success with their rabbit?

2) i know getting your rabbit spayed can prevent cancer, but can breeding your rabbit also prevent it?

please post - they'r questions for my mum really out of curiosity but i thought u guys might be able to help!

hope u all had a gd christmas!

I believe in a thing called love ~ just listen to the rhythm of my heart

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dusty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chloe

Mildred + her 3 friends

Jellybean + Caesar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 10:04 AM
Adolescent Pup

i dont know about the drops but i can help with the cancer thing. if you breed your rabbit at least 3 times you have a better chance of not having her get cancer. spaying is the best idea, when my rabbit looses some weight that i let her put on for the winter im gona get her spayed. also its nice because they get along better with you and other rabbits.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 11:32 AM
Adolescent Pup

I have never heard proof about the "if I breed her" theory, but your best bet is to get her spayed. It prevents a lot of problems, and breeding is not always a piece of cake. Rabbits can die giving birth.

Miyabita Designs
Affordable, custom, hand-coded websites, plus graphics

Usagi no Tsukiyo
A well of rabbit information

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

thank you, i realise spaying is the nicest thing to do... we were just wondering really. I want to get my bunny spayed but its just so expensive! i never realised when i bought her that cancer was so common, is it really like that or is it something that just might happen... my bunny is worth everything of course but it will take ages to save £60 or however much it is. Dusty's about 9 months old now...would it be worth saving £10 a month and getting it done when she's 1 yr 3 mnths old or would it be too late?

Dusty

Chloe

Mildred + her 3 friends

Jellybean + Caesar
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 01:19 PM
Just Call Me Oblivious!

I wish I knew more about the rabbit breeding that goes on in the UK. I know that it's not guaranteed that an unbred female will get reproductive cancer, but the chances are rather high here in North America. It could be that it's more or less common in the UK, I don't know.

The sooner you get your bunny spayed, the better it will be for her health. Most rabbits in a breeding program would have had their first litter before they are a year old, and most rabbits in the wild would have had several before then. If my understanding is correct, then it's the lack of use in the reproductive organs that is the start of the cancer (or why the cancer is able to take hold). If you wait, that's six months of no reproduction. That may be enough time for cancer to take root.

I know it's hard when you haven't got a lot of money at your disposal. Have you talked with your vet about a payment plan? Then perhaps you could get it done sooner?

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
It could be that it's more or less common in the UK, I don't know.
Maybe, because till i came on this forum (where lots of ppl are from america) i hadn't heard of it being a problem... but i think i will ask my vet about a payment plan + get it done just to be sure. And next time i buy a bunny i will adopt one from the shelter! They're alredy spayed, need a home anyway, and only cost £20! lol.

Dusty

Chloe

Mildred + her 3 friends

Jellybean + Caesar
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 06:49 PM
Adolescent Pup

Actually, wild rabbits and domestic rabbits that are breeding constantly can still get cancer. As far as can be told, the reason that rabbits get cancer of the reproductive systems so easily is because they have so many hormones going on due to the fact that in the wild they are supposed to just breed like crazy, and they usually die before cancer can set in (most wild rabbits don't make it past 2 years old). So it is a good trade in the wild population, to keep the species alive. However, domestic rabbits usually live a lot longer, so cancer is a much bigger concern. It you have to spay her later, it will still be effective, as long as she is not older than 2 years. Very few rabbits get cancer quite that early, so if you can save up by around the time she is 1 year, 3 months (as you said you should be able to), you should be fine. Not a total guarantee, of course, but it is a lot better than letting her just go unspayed.

As for breeding, it's just best not to unless you have a breeding/show quality rabbit and are breeding to an equal or better quality male. There are plenty of pet rabbits already available, and the only time I recommend breeding is if the rabbit is good enough of a breed representative to produce babies that could compete well in the show world. If you do decide to breed her, definitely do your research and talk to people who have been breeding for a while.

Miyabita Designs
Affordable, custom, hand-coded websites, plus graphics

Usagi no Tsukiyo
A well of rabbit information

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thanks Miyabita Great stuff

Dusty

Chloe

Mildred + her 3 friends

Jellybean + Caesar