i need help with the litter box - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Question i need help with the litter box

Hi,
recently I've been wanting to let my rabbit run around in my room without fear she will pee on the floor(I have carpet) So i have decided to teach to use the litter box. unfortunately she refuses to use it in her cage and I don't know what i can do to encourage her to use it instead of just peeing anywhere in the cage. Any advice ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lola

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daisy

Gohan

Itchy

Selena

Frogger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 12:18 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Is she spayed? That's always the first step! After that, usually just placing litterboxes where she tends to pee (or just corners of the cage and room) and putting hay in the boxes usually works. If she leaves droppings around, put them in a litterbox. If you catch her about to pee, pick her up and place her in a litterbox. They usually catch on pretty fast. At first I usually use a lot of litterboxes (that way the chances of the rabbit being in a litterbox at any time are high, haha!) and then I slowly remove the ones the rabbit isn't using as much.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 01:58 PM
Adolescent Pup

the whole entire process can be easy or hard. It all depends on the rabbit. More then half my rabbits learned to use the box within 3 days. I have had some rabbits refuse to use the box inside the cage. It took a few accidents outside their cages before they realized they had a more sanitary place to do their business. (Thebox). I suggest buying a floor cleaner, you will have accidents but in the long run it will help.

We strive to make the safest products out there with the best customer service at unbeatable prices.

Serving the Exotic pets since 2005

Dogs, Cats, Ferrets. Rabbits, Mice, Hamsters, Sugar Gliders, Chinchilla's and more!

4 Rabbits
- 3 Gliders
-6 Ratties

2 kitties
- 1 dog

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 04:02 PM
is a little "special"

Also, what kind of litter box do you have? It will help if you have a large square cat-style litterbox, compared to one of those tiny corner ones. It also helps alot to keep lots of hay in the litter box, because they like to eat and go to the bathroom in the same place.
And if you havent already, get her spayed! It helps a TON!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Yea I haven't gotten her spayed yet, that really helps with the litter box? Thats a interesting fact lol I'll have to make a appointment for her then! Also I never thought about using a box kind of litter box makes sense when you think about it. O.o and how can you tell they are about to pee?? Usually she just catches me by surprise, one of the reasons why I don't hold her in my lap anymore Lol. And instead of litter litter you get from the pet stores I should you hay, or should i put the hay with the litter? Thanks for the replies so far!!

Lola

Daisy

Gohan

Itchy

Selena

Frogger
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 06:45 PM
is a little "special"

Yeah, fixing actually helps ALOT! Smudge used to have the same problem as your bun before he was fixed- He would randomly pee everywhere, so it was hard to give him floor time. But since I got him fixed last year, he hasnt had a single accident and he free roams my bed room 12+ hours a day (well, there was a time where he managed to lock himslef out of his cage, and couldnt get back in to use the litterbox... But thats a different story LOL). The reason they go to the bathroom everywhere is actually hormonal/territorial, so spaying/neutering totally eliminates their need for marking so much.

You cant really tell when they are about to pee... At least, Ive never been able to, and believe me Ive tried! You can just hold her with a towel or a blankie. Thats what I do with my non-litter trained pets.

And still use litter, but put the hay on top of it for them to eat. You can use a hay rack too, but Smudge hates those so I just put it right in his litter box.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Wow thanks for the advice I will get her a appointment then, rather her running around my room freely then waiting for her walks. Also would i have to bring her to a special vet to get her spayed or any vet can do it?

Lola

Daisy

Gohan

Itchy

Selena

Frogger
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 08:58 PM
is a little "special"

You need an exotic animal vet... Bunny spays are alot more tricky than dog/cat spays, so you need an experienced vet. At www.rabbit.org, they have a list of rabbit savvy vets if you click on your state.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thanks a ton I can't wait to be able to relax a bit more when I'm letting her out

Lola

Daisy

Gohan

Itchy

Selena

Frogger
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 09:10 PM
is a little "special"

No problem! Trust me, its SO much easier to do floor time after they are fixed!

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

I agree with the spay!

How is your cage set up? Do you have litter all over the bottom of the cage? If you do, I would remove it and only keep litter in the litter box. Keep hay on top of the litter in the box too, it will help encourage her to use it.

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Yea I have dusting of the bedding just to soke up any of the pee she does outside the box so she doesnt sleep on it..Should i take out all the bedding?Also today I'm gonna change the box to more of a square type then the corner one and put the hay on top, I'll let you guys know when she's getting spayed and how the new box works

Lola

Daisy

Gohan

Itchy

Selena

Frogger
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah I would take out the bedding.

If you're worried about her peeing in the cage and getting it on herself, you can buy some fleece. I buy it at craft stores that sell fabric, usually you can find some in the clearance section for pretty cheap. Buy a piece at least big enough to cover the bottom of the cage - I suggest you get at least 2 pieces, or one big one and cut it, so if she pees on one you have a clean one to replace it with right away. It will soak up the pee if she has an accident, then you can just take it out of the cage and wash it.

If your bunny chews on it thought I would remove it. But I've been using fleece blankets for my rabbits for years now and none of them so far chew it.

Most people I know just have bare bottom cages. You could just wipe up any messes as soon as you see them.

I think it might confuse her to have litter all over the whole cage. If you just keep it in the litter box, maybe that will help her understand where she's suppose to go.

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 02:54 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I just wanted to second the fleece idea. I have a senior rabbit who sometimes pees outside the litterbox now so I line his cage with towels .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Ok I'll try that fleece thing hopefully she wont eat it lol Thanks a lot i'll tell you how it goes

Lola

Daisy

Gohan

Itchy

Selena

Frogger

Tags
litter box, rabbit, stubborn