I think Smudge might be hurt...Help me please! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

I think Smudge might be hurt...Help me please!

Okay, in some of my other threads, Ive mentioned Smudge has been acting wierd... I was just reading some stuff on the HRS page, and I think he might be in pain from something- Reluctance to move, isolating himself, a strange hunched over position that he tends to sit in, not eating all his veggies, scratching alot, and just being over all touchy bescibes him lately, and it apparently desrcibes some of the things rabbits do when their in pain.

But the thing is, I cant remember anything that happened to him that could hurt him! The only thing I could think of that could have possibly hurt him was last year, and his grumpyness hasnt been going on THAT long.
Also, I know he could be scratching alot because his collar bugs him, that their eating patterns can be a lil wierd when seasons are changing (like right now), and that he sleeps in bizarre positions and he could just be finding his hunched over position strangly comfortable.

I know I over react ALOT when I think something could potentially be wrong with him, so Im trying to decide if this is serious, or if Im just overly stressed out and worrying about absolutly nothing.

I wouldnt be able to get him to a vet anyway untill monday, so I have some time to watch him more.

Whats everyones advice? After your rabbits got hurt from something, did they act similar? Please help me... Im just so sleep deprived and stressed out, Im having probablems thinking rashionally about anything!
I promise Ill stop spamming the rabbit section soon too, LOL!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 05:07 PM
Part of the Pack

hey there
i just had a scare with henry as well, he wasnt eating, wasnt moving around, had his eyes half shut all the time and just didnt look well. i took him to the after hours clinic, maybe you have an option like that? it was more expensive though. keep an eye on him, make sure he's hydrated and moniter his BM's and eating. Is he pooping? peeing? grinding his teeth? it could be a number of things, but don't blame yourself. bunnies can get into everything. keep updating!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

give your love no matter what.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 07:10 PM
can't think of one, help

Oh dear, best wishes for Smudge, is he eating okay, can you give him extras of his fav's Is he drinking
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Hes eating ok, but like I said, not as much. One look at my room and its pretty obvious hes going to the bathroom fine!
He was a lil more active last night- I left my door open by accident, and he apparently ran around the other rooms, cuz I saw him run from my moms room back to mone when I went back upstairs He seems more eager to run around when he knows hes not supposed to be doing something!
When he wanted me to pet him, I took advantage of it and felt him to see if he reacted to anything... The only place he jumped when I touched him was his belly, but after I picked him up he let me touch his tummy with out jumping.

I REALLY hope hes ok, but I might just take him in for a check up either way, cuz Ive been meaning to for a while anyway. C:

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 12:37 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Isn't Smudge an outdoor rabbit? Did you recently move him into the house? That would be a big adjustment and a reason he may be a bit stressed; new sounds, new smells, more noise, not the same sunset or sunrise. He may be just going through a period of adjustment.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Hes still outside, but he cames in everyday to get some exercise. C:

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 07:37 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

How is he doing today?

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 08:24 AM
RAT ADDICT

How is Smudge doing?
If your that worried about him,take him to the vet.At least you can find out if anything is wrong with him and maybe stop stressing out!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Does Obcessive Licking Mean Anything...?

Smudge seems to have acually perked up a lil yesterday! When I left my door open, he binkied for the first time in like, 2 weeks, and started stalking me by follwing me down the stairs again.
I let Sunny in my room, cuz they usually have fun together, but he was really mean to her (never doing that again)... :C I guess the grumpyness hasnt fully worn off yet.
He was till really lazy most of the time tho.

He seems to have a new strange habbit tho- Licking EVERYTHING around him when he lays down. If hes alseep, he'll literally get up every 2 minutes and lick the ground around him, go back to sleep, and do it again.
Is this supposed to mean anything? Ive never heard of rabbits doing this before, an I dont know if I should be concerned about it.

Im dogsitting this week, so I should be able to save enough money for a vet appointment soon! ^^

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 04:53 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

One of the claims made by the HRS is that rabbits don't belong outside because they can't take extreme temperature changes. Where I live in MN it gets below freezing at night, and winter has just begun. To bring a rabbit inside during the day would be putting that rabbit through temp changes of 40 to 50 degrees or more in one day. Please ask your vet if this could do any harm to your rabbit, or will your rabbit get used to it? I really don't know the answer.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 07:08 PM
Betta Bomb

First of all, my best wishes are for Mr.Grumpy Pants to get better, second Akina licks EVERYTHING, all the time its normal when their feeling comfortable and wierd(which she definetly is)

Umm,as for the HRS-if they hadnt realised rabbits are primarily outdoor animals and do quite well outside if its done right.there is a very heated debate always about indoor/outdoor so i wont get into it but Smudge is pretty used to coming indoors to play and sleeping outside.-well from what i gather-

Question, Jess- how old is he again?? maybe it has something to do with hormones and adolescence??

I hope the best for him and keep us in the know!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 11:05 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I guess I am just a little conserned because temps here dip down below zero in the winter, which means an outdoor to indoor rabbit may have to deal with temp changes between 70 to 80 degrees. But rabbits do nicely outside in Alaska I hear, and I know that my dogs can go in and out during the winter with no problem, so Smudge might be just fine. I just have never heard of anyone doing this.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 03:41 AM
Salamander Burgermuffin

Yeah i would be a little worried about him going in and out during the winter.. yes i know many people keep rabbits outside all year, but i know it gets super cold in Minnesota and coming inside is a huge change. Plus, if hes outside most of the time hes prolly getting a pretty thick winter coat, maybe hes a little too warm inside? i would definitely ask the vet about this.

My Furry Family
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 09:12 AM
Betta Bomb

speaking of, Acacia has always been in indoor rabber but has grown a nice plush coat over the last few days..? fancy that.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 09:42 AM
Playful Pup

I didn't know if any other rabbits licked everything either. My Nino has been licking her cage, my hands, the furniture and most of all her left paw (non-stop licking).

Tags
rabbit