I want to turn my fenced area into a rabbit-run... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I want to turn my fenced area into a rabbit-run...

I have a pretty large fenced in area beside of my house that I would like to turn into a rabbit run. I already know I need to secure the fence (chain-link)--not sure what I will use to do that...any thoughts on how to turn my space into a cool place for my bunns?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 03:59 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

although they will need to be supervised while out there what if you put a bunch of toys out for them, like a dig box where theres treats under it or something

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 09:06 PM
Betta Bomb

To line the chain link?? They should probably be fine and not get stuck in them, however, to line it maybe you can find that bright orange construction site plastic netting stuff? Or if you can get a hold of dark chicken wire you can use that as well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Yeah- I want to line the fence b/c there are some gaps here and there from erosion/rain etc. I guess securing the fence is the first important thing to do to the area!! I'm going to check out the chicken-wire. Even though I would never put them out unsupervised I want to be able to relax while we're out there--and not worry about them slipping through a crack!! I think I'm gonna put a small salad garden in the area too--that's as simple as turning the ground and throwing in the seeds--it doesn't have to be pretty--but it will be something healthy for my bunns to much while outdoors. I'm going to look into the 'digging box'--I also want to look into tunnels/safe hide aways that I can make with chewable wood.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator

Things to keep in mind are that a lot of bunnies like to dig, so you'd have to keep a close eye on them if there is a chance that they could dig under the fence.

Also I don't know if this is a problem where you live, but where I am I'd be concerned about birds of prey like hawks coming down from the air.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 09:49 PM
Betta Bomb

Not only hawks but crows even. There were mean crows in my old neighborhood, almost got Akina
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Yeah--I'm not in the city and hawks could def. be a problem--I would def. NOT leave the area at all when they would be out--I do the same for my dogs! I know there are other animals in my area that would potentially enjoy a bunny meal--coyote's-dogs running loose (country area doesn't have a leash law and I lost 2 pet ducks to dogs running loose). I would have to watch the digging closely--I haven't started working on the area yet--and I appreciate ALL of the good ideas you guys have!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 01:01 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I have a fenced in area for a rabbit run. I laid down wire fencing all around the fence line, so they won't dig out. I also put up some posts so I can put bird netting over the area. It works great.