Identity Crisis - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Identity Crisis

I am getting two new foster rabbits this spring. They are the brother and sister to the two rabbits I already have, and they look like they could be clones. I would like to try to bond these rabbits to their sisters, but run the risk of getting them mixed up. Got any ideas on how I can mark then so I can tell them apart at a glance?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 06:47 PM
is a little "special"

You could put different colored collars on them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Interesting idea! I have never tried putting a collar on a rabbit before. Have you tried one on Smudge?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 08:11 AM
Hello Earthling

A collar would work as Jess said or you could some how mark their fur with something.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 10:47 AM
I am allergic to maths

You could try rubbing vanilla essence into part of the fur foster rabbits
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 02:46 PM
is a little "special"

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonchild View Post
Interesting idea! I have never tried putting a collar on a rabbit before. Have you tried one on Smudge?

Yep, Smudge always wears a collar during his floor time- I have a hard time finding him if he doesnt have a bell on! Its nice when he plays outside too, so if ever he runs off and I cant catch him, who ever finds him can just check his tags and call me.
You just want to make sure it has the right tightness- if its too tight, rabbits will be very uncomfortable, but if its too loose, they will pick at it and chew it off. You should be able to fit 2 fingers under it, but if it has any more room they will chew it.
It might take a little while for them to get used to it too, but Smudge doesnt ever notice his anymore.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 04:56 PM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

You could probably find a difference if you looked them over closely unless of course they are both a plain solid colour or something in which case you will need to mark them in some way.......i am not really a fan of the collar idea incase one tries to chew the other ones off or they catch a foot whilst scratching etc!

*Carla*
I
my animals!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodentzRule View Post
You could try rubbing vanilla essence into part of the fur foster rabbits
What does the vanilla essence do? Does it help them to bond easier? I have bonded 2 rabbits before, but never a group of 4. I know I need to set up a neutral area before even attempting to do any bonding. I will have two bonded pairs of rabbits.

There are little differences in the rabbits. The pair I have, one rabbit is red with white marking, and the other is white with red markings. The other pair is also one red with white, and one white with red. I am worried that if I am not careful, I could mix up a pair. I want to make sure I make no mistakes.

I like Jess's collar idea. I could use those break-away cat collars and only use them when I am with them, and take them off for their alone time.

The idea of marking their fur is also a good one. Maybe I could put some food coloring on their backs.

Thanks for all the ideas. I probably won't get these foster rabbits for another months, but I can't help thinking about them. I can hardly wait!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 01:58 AM
I am allergic to maths

Its seems to help bond anything if they all smell the same and the only thing I can think of thats non-toxic to buns is vanilla esscence
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

I would mark their fur with food coloring. Or, at a shelter I volenteered at they use to make markings on the insides of their ears with diffrent colored sharpees.

I guess it would depend on the rabbits weather or not collars would work for them, but I would only keep them on when you're around to watch in case something happens.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonrain View Post
Or, at a shelter I volenteered at they use to make markings on the insides of their ears with diffrent colored sharpees.
That looks like the easiest idea ever! I think I will try this idea first. Once I am able to bond them, I won't worry so much, but putting the wrong rabbits together to soon, I am afraid could be dangerous.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 03:03 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

are you keeping them? if not you may not want to bond them it will be sad to break the bond when they leave.

[/CENTER]

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendalle View Post
are you keeping them? if not you may not want to bond them it will be sad to break the bond when they leave.
Yes, I plan on keeping them.

Tags
bonding