I'm afraid it's another POOP topic! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Exclamation I'm afraid it's another POOP topic!

Reading the thread called "small poops" reminded me that i could ask you guys about Dusty...

She has perfectly normal, and very consistant sizes and textures of poop...until i give her any veg!

Her normal diet is, lots of hay, water, and a bowl of dry Wagg Rabbit Food. This is fine until i give her vegetables...even a small piece of carrot or apple can cause her poop to become soft, and a funny shape. (i've tried to show this with a make-shift picture i did on paint which you can see here: http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-...98878-poop.JPG ) Normal is in a pile, but after veggies it's sort of in a line...

She loves her veggies but even the smallest piece on a one-off occasion (normally) causes this...it's been like it since she was a kitten but i've always blamed the veg, could it be anything more serious?

Please post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 06:23 PM
Part of the Pack

My vet told me that certain veggies have more water in them then others. Things like apples and carrots have a lot of water which will cause a soft stool. Ill try and find out more info about what you can do or what veggies you may want to try.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 06:27 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Red face

I have read about certain veggies making the poop more softer..

Love the pics of poop also, very artistic..

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 07:40 PM
Part of the Pack

I was told that high sugar in carrots and fruits can cause weird poops. I dont know for a fact since I am learning with my bun. Carrots and most fruits are high in sugar. They said for me to give one SMALL piece of carrot no more. And same for fruits. But I am cutting down on veggies and no fruits for a while until poops goes back to normal. But if your bunny is like that with veggies, he is better off without them. Just give him more pellets so he can get all the vitamins. Hay is the most important...BTW how old is your bunny? And do you introduce new veggies one at a timme in very small quantity? Bunnies dont react well with new foods, stresses them out.

Last edited by Sandra; 11-24-2004 at 07:42 PM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 12:21 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I would take your bunny to the vet for a checkup. You can bring a poop sample to show the vet. Your bun should be able to tolerate most veggies and if this happens after every kind of veggie that you feed, your bunny may have some other issue (such as parasites). Veggies are important for rabbits, and they are usually good for their digestive system. Their droppings are an important indicator of their health, and if this keeps happening I would go to a rabbit experienced vet as soon as you can. Please keep us updated.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thanks everyone for your comment... my rabbit is 8 months old, and i only feed her a small amount of veg + fruit, and introduce it with small bits but she eats it all up because she likes it! I thought that veg was important too, that's why i'm not giving up completely but if pellets are OK instead i will try some-she doesn't have any at the moment-what sort is best and what am i looking for? thanks, eleanor.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 07:46 AM
Part of the Pack

LOL, I just saw the pic! How funny!!!! My bunny used to have that before and that was from getting too much highcarbonated foods!!!! When I first got my bun, I was giving him Toddler's Cherrios. And after a week he started having those poops like in your wonderful pic...all stuck together!!! A few days after stopping the cherrios, my bunny when back to his normal poops. What are you feeding your bun? Probably its something else and not the veggies?!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thanks - my artisitic talents just go on...LOL!

I feed my bunny a bowl of Wagg Rabbit Food each day, she drinks plenty of fresh water and she eats lots of hay. The reason i thought it may be the veg is because it only happens when she has fruit or veg as an extra to her normal food! Sometimes she has bunny popcorn, dried nuts+sweetcorn, or yogurt/chocolate drops but only in small amount and i've never noticed them causing a problem...
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 09:44 AM
Part of the Pack

Ok first of all stop with the bunny popcorn, dried nuts+sweetcorn, or yogurt/chocolate drops. Those are not good for bunnies. What a bunny needs is hay/veggies/pellets/fruits anything else is not good for your bunny. The bulk of his diet should be hay. One cup of veggies per day is enough (collard greens/dandelions/swiss chard/romain lettuce/leafy lettuce etc). 1/4-1/2 pellets per day and once in a blue moon you can give your bun a SMALL piece of fruit. How old in your bunny? what kind of hay you give your bunny? what pellets are you giving him? Let me know i'll be able to help you out more.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 10:09 AM
Fluffy Potatokisser

The only veggies my buns get are green leafy veggies and an OCCASIONAL peice of carrot. They also get dried papaya as a treat which also helps to prevent hairballs. Favorites of my buns are parsly, cilantro, collard greens and dark romain lettuce. They occasionally get some broccoli though too. On top of that, they get Purina Rabbit Chow (which is the same thing as Mazuri) and free-fed timothy hay along with fresh water. I dont' even bother with fruits as they really don't need them.

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 10:18 AM
Part of the Pack

Chinchilla_Girl that the best diet for a bunny. Mines get 1/4 Oxbow Timothy Pellets a day, with 1-2 cups of 3 different veggies a day, and free feed of hay (Timothy, Mixed hay, Brome, Orchard, oat, oat mixes and bermuda) No more fruits!!!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Dusty doesn't get any pellets...i don't really know what they are Can someone tell me a good brand of pellets so i can look out for them?
and she just gets normal hay from my pet shop - it doesn't really have a name, it's not Kaytee or Timothy or anything...just normal hay. I was told that lettuce gives rabbits Diarrhoea and not to give them hardly any. I guess i have the wrong information. Maybe it's because i live in UK + you live in America/Canada etc? We have different brands of food and stuff so i can't compare with what you're saying very easily. Sorry to be such a nuisance!!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 10:34 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Red face

I buy pellets from Pets at home, their own brand.. Hope this helps?

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Ah thanks PURPLEBUNNY...i will see if i can get my parents to take me-it's quite far to our nearest store but if not they're building a new one within bus-catching distance! yay - I LOVE that shop!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 05:46 PM
Part of the Pack

Tags
collard greens, pet shop, pet store, rabbit food, timothy hay