I'm getting a BUNNY!! Help? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

I'm getting a BUNNY!! Help?

Okay, I got a call this morning from a friend of the family who has another friend that has to rehome her rabbit. She can't take the rabbit because of allergies, but asked me if I would take it...well, being the animal sucker I am, of course I said YES!!
So, this weekend I am getting a bunny! I have no idea what breed or even if it is male or female or even it's age...some reason she forgot to ask all that! She thinks it is coming with it's own cage though, so that's good, but my question is this...I know rabbits need good quality rabbit pellets, hay and fresh water, but what else do they need? Are they like chins and need wood chews? Can you really give them fresh vegetables? What kind of things should I pick up to prepare for the newcomer? Also, would it be okay to put the bunny cage in the chin room? No, bunny and chinnies will not be cagemates, but the chin dust shouldn't bother the rabbit or anything should it? I know there are a lot of questions here, and I wasn't planning on a bunny, but it needs a home fast and I couldn't say no! Any advice would be great
Thanks all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 04:09 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I would quarantine just like any new animal first, and have the bunny tested for parasites. There is a disease/bacteria that they can carry without being symptomatic but I'm not sure what it is.

I'll try to grab some info from my vet's rabbit care guide.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 04:14 PM
Miss New Booty

Oh wow! Congrats Mandie!!! That is awesome you decided to take the bunny in!
I have one bunny, too! She is my first rabbit! Steph is right though, about the quarantining. That's probably the best thing when you first bring her home, until she is checked out by a vet,etc. But, right now, I have her and my chinnie in the same room, too, and they do fine together in the same room. Bunbun doesn't seem to be bothered by the dust or anything. Although you do have a lot of chinnies! I don't see it being a problem, what does anyone else think about Buns and chins in the same room?? Hmmm

Oh! Yes, the need fresh veggies alot! Usually, they say 3 different kinds of greens is good. I just took Bun bun to the vet last week for a check up and talked with her about this. Alot of their diet is hay, she said to have hay available at all times. My bunny has been very picky and I didn't know a good food to feed her. I was researhing Oxbow and found a place to get it here in Orlando! So, it takes a few weeks to gradually switch over, their tummys are sensitive. Right now, my bunny is still picking out the old stuff! My bunnies favorite veggies are Romaine lettuce, parsley and snow peas (the ones in the pod) This is an awesome website to learn all about bunnies, Rabbit.org. Here is the link for their veggies and fruits page, too!

http://www.rabbit.org/chapters/san-d...iet/foods.html
I talked with the vet about fruits and she said to give those sparingly though, b/c they do have sugars in them, she told me I could give some of those as a treat. I put an apple in and she didn't even touch it!

Yup they need things to chew on, too! I give Bunbun the same types of things to chew, the wood blocks, etc. She gets interested in it half the time! The vet said her teeth looked great last week, though!

I bet you are so excited!! And we need pictures!! LOL!!!

~* Jackie *~

Last edited by kittygurl823; 05-26-2004 at 04:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 04:17 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Rabbit Care
Rabbit Behavior
Rabbit Q & A

Hope those help!!

Stephanie

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Okay, thanks Steph...I was going to quarentine it anyway...that much I figured was either common sense or it wouldn't hurt to quarentine. We'll be getting it this weekend so I'll go ahead and make an appointment for monday morning at the vet's office.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Jackie! I am getting excited...hopefully Paula got more info on the bun for me! I'll read through all the q&a's and check out that site. I guess it's a good thing we always have a lot of vegetables in the house!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

OMG! Plans have changed and bunny is coming tonight!! Shane took the digi camera to work so pics will have to wait till tomorrow, but the bunny is coming tonight!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Couldn't get the bunny last night! LOL! Kids were sleeping and Paula was going to go pick him up for me, but went to the eye doctor yesterday and her eyes were still dialated! She got halfway down the road and realized she couldn't see! LOL! So it's either tonight or tomorrow...gotta call her and find out!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

I don't know if Paula was colorblind or what! Maybe she was thinking of someone else's rabbit, but it's definetly NOT white! I'm starting a new thread complete with pics if anyone wants to try to figure out what breed it is! I still don't know if it's male or female!

Tags
chin room, rabbit pellets, romaine lettuce