Im probably overreacting but.... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Im probably overreacting but....

My rabbit sleeps all the time!!! What is going on? Im actually getting a little concerned now because this has been going on for months. He sleeps all day when Im at work and then as soon as I get home I let him out and he runs under my bed and sleeps till about 11pm when I give him some greens and lock him back in the cage.

He wont play with any kind of toy...Ive tried paper towel rolls, the flipn toss carrot, baskets, twigs, everything from busybunny.com, cloth towels, a phone book etc.

I try and spend time with him but he wants nothing to do with me, wont come close to me...I think hes afraid im going to pick him up and bring him to the vet. (we did go last saturday for his nail clipping) The only time he lets me pet him is when hes eating. Ive even tried laying on the floor for hours but he still wont come near me. (It is so bad that he wont leave the cage till i walk away...then he scurries under the bed. Then he will run back to his cage after I fill his food bowl and walk away again.) BY THE WAY HE ACTS YOU WOULD THINK THAT IM SOME AXE MURDERER!!!!!!!

Im starting to get really upset....is my rabbit NOT HAPPY?? Am I giving him a good life??? I always thought that my bunny was lucky to be with me and not some snot nose kid but now im not so sure!

I mean what do rabbits do in the wild? Is he missing something important from his life? Is he depressed? Can rabbits even think about those kind of things????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 07:34 PM

Maybe he needs a buddy? I mean, if you got him a friend to play with he would need to be up and awake and maybe right now he sees no need to be awake more? Also you could try "walking" him outside when the snow melts and it gets warmer? I know today was an amazing pre-spring day.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 08:24 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Yeah, maybe a buddy might help? We normally keep all our bunnies in pairs for that reason.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 04:06 PM

Red face

I too was going to suggest a buddy for your bunny.. In the wild they live in numerous numbers.. You dont necessarilly need to get another bunny, try a guinea pig!
You could also try letting him out in the garden and let him have time to run around..
Tell us how you get on..
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 05:06 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I find your rabbits behaviour very strange as rabbits are normally the most placid and loving of creatures, in the wild they would live in family groups and spend time grazing and sleeping. I'd maybe take on everyone elses suggestions and get him a buddy if you can as maybe he is missing his own kind as maybe he's a bunnies bunny and not a person bunny!? Personally though i wouldn't suggest a guinea pig as rabbits and piggies are two totally different creatures with very different needs especially diet wise plus a rabbit is more than likely to harm a piggy by mistake with its hind legs although some people successfully do keep them together its not really advisable

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys! A buddy would be a good idea but im afraid that they wont get along. That happened to me in the past with two turtles I had. I ended up giving one away because they were biting each other. Plus I dont know how much more responsibility that would be...would they share food bowls and litter boxes? Would jellybean feel territorial sharing his pen that has been his own for over a year now?

What is everyone experience with introducing a new rabbit?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 05:42 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheetara03
Thanks guys! A buddy would be a good idea but im afraid that they wont get along. That happened to me in the past with two turtles I had. I ended up giving one away because they were biting each other. Plus I dont know how much more responsibility that would be...would they share food bowls and litter boxes? Would jellybean feel territorial sharing his pen that has been his own for over a year now?

What is everyone experience with introducing a new rabbit?
I had 2 female bunnies and recently introduced 2 male bunnies to their home.. Is your bunny male or female?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 05:48 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Rabbits tend to be friendly towards there own kind, i used to have a small group and i never had any problems although if you wanted two males they both would need to be neutered as two males tend to fight if not (although i kept two for over 8 years together and they lived in peace so i'm not a text book case ) or if you wanted to keep a male and female one or both would need to be neutered to stop baby bunnies appearing They would share everything or at least mine used too! as for being territorial well i'm not over sure rabbits are that much so although an intact male might not like another intact male invading his patch so to speak

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 05:55 PM

Red face

Amber, Jazzy and Billy are getting on really well.. The girls have both been spayed, and we will get Billy neutered as soon as he is old enough.. Harvey lives in the shed with them but in his own hutch, so they can all get used to each other, he also only goes out into the garden under supervision, because he is still so small!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 06:02 PM

I'm planning on getting a new bunny in the spring and if you decide to get a buddy for your friend, and it doesn't work out, you could just give the bunny to me. They do share food bowls and litter boxes and water bottles/bowls. We always had two when Caesar was alive just to make things easier and so that they weren't buping heads when they were eating.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 07:15 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I never had any huge problems introducing bunnies except with Sake because she's quite territorial. But she didn't attack anyone, I just stopped trying because she didn't care for the new rabbit and she already had a friend anyways. If you get a buddy for Jellybean your best bet would be a spayed female or a baby bunny (most rabbits don't see babies as a threat).

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Tags
baby bunnies, baby bunny, food bowl, food bowls, guinea pig, hind legs, litter box, litter boxes