I'm scared - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I'm scared

Today my sister caught Jasper mounting Nino.

Then when she tried to pick Nino up, Nino tried to bite my sister's finger (not that Nino never does).

And now when I look at them in the cage, they look more jumpier, energetic than usual (hopping all over in the cage) and Nino's grooming Jasper alot (I haven't really seen Jasper grooming Nino yet). And now Nino's starting to lick(?) or groom Jasper's ear (Have never seen that before).

Jasper's refusing to be held (he's usually the very calm one letting us hold him a long time), they're tearing the newspaper lining in the cage and they look like they want to get out of the cage more than usual (Scaling the wall alot more).

I still don't know their genders yet although the pet store did think Jasper was a male (yes I know they're not very good). And yes I've been trying to buy a new cage for them but I didn't have the money. But tomorrow I will have enough to buy a new cage though.

And I haven't gone to the Vet yet because I thought it might be a bit pricey and I'm still saving up for that.

Oh and I just noticed that Jasper was trying to mount Nino again couple times but Nino kept moving away from Jasper.

I'm hoping that this is maybe just the "setting the dominance" behaviour but I'm still worried. Any helpful comments please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Oh and they're about 5-6 weeks old
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 09:54 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

are you fairly sure that they are boys? do they look just the same on the bottom?

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 08:03 AM
RAT ADDICT

Make sure they are both male,otherwise your gonna have alot of buns on your hands.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 11:49 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

If you're not positive they are both male, you need to separate them ASAP. And then pray that you don't end up with babies in several weeks.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 08:02 PM
Part of the Pack

Until you know the genders of the rabbits I would keep them separated until they are fixed. Our female was 7 months old when she became territorial and started mounting anything that moved. Your rabbits could be working out the dominance thing right now. If the bunny that does the mounting is getting groomed by the other rabbit you will find that that rabbit will most likely be the dominant rabbit. Be careful with the bunnies together as they may get more aggressive with each other as their hormones kick in. Bonding should be done when each rabbit has been neutered or spayed.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Yeah but ours are barely 2 months old. And now I'm almost positive they're just setting the dominance because I read usually 3 months is about the earliest a rabbit can become pregnant. And I don't think bonding is going to be necessary or even that difficult since they're siblings and have pretty much been together all their life :]

Thank you for your help though everyone
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator

Douple check to make sure their the same sex though, because if their not and their 2 months old then even if they don't get pregnant now, they'll be able to very soon. And once they hit puberty (as early as 3 months like you said) they could start fighting regardless of how they're getting along now. It's the hormones kicking in and their personalities can change. If the dominance mounting has started then I'd say watch out, because bunny puberty is on it's way. Make sure to get them fixed when their old enough and until their fixed if you think you might have a boy and a girl then keep them seperate, you don't want them breeding especially because they are siblings.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Ok yeah we separated them and watch them when they're both out of the cages.