Inside Rabbit Questions - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Inside Rabbit Questions

So I have a rabbit that I bought for my classroom. He was neutered back in February and is amazing now(no longer aggressive or pee's on me!)! I would love to start keeping him inside and allowing him to roam free. He has free roam of my backyard and does amazing. My only concern is how do I keep him from chewing electrical cords? Furniture? and baseboards and walls...? I would love any advice you can give me for my little ball of fur! ***Plus he does amazing with my 3 dogs (all Shih Tzu's) and small cat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 04:16 PM
is a little "special"

Hi there, and welcome to PT! I have a Shi Tzu too! He is scared of my rabbit though LOL.

Here are a few bunny-proofing tips I've picked up:
~ For carpeting: Buy some slate or ceramic tiles at the harware store (about $2) and put them over any areas that he is digging on. Scratching on slate will help wear down his nails, so he can dig on the tiles as much as he wants to.
~ For cords: The best way is just to keep them out of reach. Hide cords behind furniture, or other places that your bun can't get to. You can get special chew-proof tubing to put around cords that you can't hide. For outlets and plug-ins, I took a metal drawer organizer (like the picture) and attatched that over the outlet, so it was like a little cage that protected the wires from being chewed.

~ For Base boards and walls: Line them with cardboard or NIC cubes.
~ For furniture: You can buy plastic edge/corner protectors that stick onto the corners and edges of things. Those have worked really well for me.

Another thing you will want to do is give him a positive way to let out his destructive behaviors. Give him a digging box, lots of toys, wood to chew, and other things to keep him busy and he will be less likely to destroy your things.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 04:19 PM
Betta Bomb

Congrats on your bunny

All I can say is distraction is key to avoid the chewing. Bunnies will chew. Try guarding off any furniture and beds so he cannot get under with NIC squares (found at walmart) and stitch them together with cable ties. Hardware stores sell PVC tubing which you can have cute to any length, feed the electrical cords through that and your bunny shouldn't be able to access them as easily but you will still have to watch him. Cords in use vibrate and heat up, these things are appealing to a bad bunny on the loose!! Baseboards and walls, well- keep him separated from them with either NIC or cardboard boxes. Some people will suggest the bitter apple sprays but that makes more problems and does not stop the chewing. I tried it with my bunny and she got used to the taste and kept chewing.. Once you spray it, the particles get into the air and all over you. YOU will be the one punished!! lol It tastes so bad and it gets on everything.

Keep bunny occupied with toys and cardboard boxes. That's all I can say
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks so much for the advice!!! I will def try some of these tricks!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 03:51 PM
is a little "special"

You're welcome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."

Tags
rabbit ?'s, rabbits run of the house