Photos! Into Rabbits Again - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Into Rabbits Again

First, I'd like to say I have a farm where I raise rabbits for our own meat use, which will explain why I do certain things different from pet owners (Like breeding and especially butchering) Though my animals all tend to be pets as well, lol.

Anywho, I went the other week to pick up some rabbits again. I've had rabbits in the past, californians, but they wouldn't breed... that was essential to meat rabbit raising.

They are rex or lop crosses. I came home with 3 that are normal furred and 5 that are rex furred. Three are 6 months old and I will be breeding soon, and the rest are from two litters either 6 or 8 weeks old. The previous owner was like me - meat raiser but likes them as pets, too. Her hutch was nice, rabbits happy and healthy and all her animals in general were well taken care of. I was very pleased with the entire situation and was more than willing to pay the 10.00 ea for 6 mon olds and 5.00 ea for babies, which was reasonable.

However, since I was taking so many she gave me an excellent deal for 25.00 for ALL 8. And to top it all off, one of the babies I bought as a male I believe is actually a female.

Anywho, on to the pics! :

Female 8 week rex

Female 6 mon rex

female 6 week 'lop'

male 6 mon rex

male 6 mon. rex

female 6 week 'lop'

female 8 week rex

male 6 week 'lop'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Caprice Acres

NMGA miniature meat goats, Silver Fox and NZW Rabbits, Muscovy ducks, several breeds of chickens, fancy mice and rats in Michigan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 12:33 PM
can't think of one, help

Please tell me you aren't going to eat those sweet little bunnies

Vicki

Rainbow, Abbles, Carmy, Kissy, Peaches, Cream, (kitties) and Littlebunny boy (elder bunny)

the pic is the last one of my meecee kitty (5/9/89 - 1/9/08)
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 12:36 PM
Rodentologist

I am ok with eating meat, and appreciate that you want to raise it humanely, but is the PET rabbit forum really the place to post about your meat animals?

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 12:51 PM
I am allergic to maths

Yeah, I was gonna say isnt it kinda hard to love them then kill them to eat (I read about a school that raised pigs and let the children make freinds with them. Then slaughtred them and sold the meat to their parents! How sick!?) ? I dont have a problem with people eating rabbits and my cat loves it. Sorry, im not trying to get on your nerves! What cute buns anyway!
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 05:02 PM
Part of the Pack

I don't understand this..? Why would you put pictures up of the beautiful animals you're going to slaughter on a forum like this? I guess its better than buying the meat from some awful factory farm, but how can you love an animal and get to know it and call it your pet and then kill and eat it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

give your love no matter what.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 06:57 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I don't want to make anyone mad but isn't it hard to have a pet and then eat it the next day? Isn't that hard to do? I don't think you should have told anyone that you plan to kill them for meat. Thats just my opinion. Those rabbits are adorable. Please don't kill them. :'(

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 07:16 PM
is a little "special"

PLEASE dont tell me you are going to kill all your beautiful bunnies! If you are, please dont post their pic here... I start bawling when I see turkeys in a slaughterhouse truck, and I dont want to see rabbits like my Smudge who are going to end up on someones plate...
And to me, you cant have an animal that is for a pet and for food. Having a pet is about having a relationship with an animal that you love, and slaughtering it in the end if the worst kind of betrayal to them that I can imagine.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 08:08 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Very beautiful rabbits! A better board to post these pictures on would be :www.homesteadingtoday.com
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 10:06 PM

Should rename thread to "Into Rabbit meat again."
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 10:46 PM
Hello Earthling

poor bunnies!!!!

Their feet must be killing them sitting on that wire all the time.

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 03:11 AM

Reminds me that its been a while since ive had rabbit. XD
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 06:47 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

cute buns are these your breeding stock?

All of you need to realize that people eat meat as do other animals. Many people have pet rats or mice that are bred for reptile food.

I agree though that your hutches should be bigger and have solid floors though

Since when do we monitor who can post what on this forum? You can love animals and eat meat. you can raise respect, and love the animals you eat as well. Would you all feel the same if these were chickens?

[/CENTER]

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 07:34 AM
Rodentologist

I don't think anyone here questioned whether or not people at meat or if other animals do, we pointed out that it's a pet forum.

Snakes eat rats too, yet posting pictures of rats being eaten by snakes is inappropriate in a PET forum for PET rats. This is a PET forum for PET rabbits.

Yes, I would feel the same if they were chickens. I had pet chickens as a kid, and will have them again once we move.

Would you be defending this if she were slaughtering dogs for food instead? Is it ok to post pictures of chinchillas I'm going to slaughter for fur in the chin forum?

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 11:41 AM

Yes, she said her family is into meat.
However, I'd like to point out...she said that she enjoys having rabbits as pets too. So these rabbits are possibly not for meat but actually breeding. Maybe she just wanted to share the part of her life that allows her to bound with the bunnies as pets? Since this is a pet forum.

& PS...an animal regardless of what type...I would eat it as long as its not endangered, was put down humaly and lived long and happy.. But thats just me.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 03:15 PM
is a little "special"

I would feel exactly the same if they where chickens, cows, pigs, ect. I think all animals have a right to live and enjoy their FULL lives.
If someone posted pictures of their puppy and said they where going to BBQ it that for dinner night, I dont think people on the dog forum would be too happy. I dont think bunnies are any different.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Closed Thread