Introducing Bunnies....suggestions? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Fluffy Potatokisser

Introducing Bunnies....suggestions?

Hey all! Well, I think it's time to start trying to introduce Lucky and Dutchie. Both are neutered males. Lucky is a Netherland Dwarf, Dutchie is a Mini Lop. I tried to let them play together once before Dutchie was neutered and he basically raped Lucky (although Lucky just kinda sat there and took it )
Anyway, now that they are both neutered and the hormones (hopefully) are all out of Dutchie's system, I'd like to get them together in the big 3 story rabbit cage. So, I need suggestions, advice and support in this undertaking. I know many people say you can't get two males to live peacefully together, but I'd like to try. So, Help?

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 04:41 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

lol, deja vu. I just saw your post on POTN . Anyways, I've never had to introduce two males before...somehow I've actually never owned a male.

Here's a link on introducing bunnies: http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/introductions.html

It's going to be hard, but it's not impossible. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I've only introduced females. Good luck .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Fluffy Potatokisser

Thanks for the link, but I already read through that...didn't give much info on the car rides and such, like should they be in separate carriers, same carrier, no carriet etc...I've only introduced chinchillas so I have no clue on this

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 05:07 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchilla_Girl
Thanks for the link, but I already read through that...didn't give much info on the car rides and such, like should they be in separate carriers, same carrier, no carriet etc...I've only introduced chinchillas so I have no clue on this
Maybe someone else will have more info. Sorry =/

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 06:21 AM
Adolescent Pup

i don't really know, but perhaps you should just put them together and see what happens. If they don't like it they'll let you and each other know... maybe it's a bit risky but i'd just go for it and their instincts will decide??

I believe in a thing called love ~ just listen to the rhythm of my heart

Dusty

Chloe

Mildred + her 3 friends

Jellybean + Caesar
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 08:37 AM
Playful Pup

hehe, yeah i have one male, un castrated, and my brother caught him with my slipper!! i laughed so hard!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 01:00 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Bunny bonding is hard, and I am definitely not a master of it. I tried the bathtub thing, the car ride thing (you are supposed to put them on the seat together), the scary environment thing (put them together on a chair and ran the vacuum). Nothing worked with Sonora and Rusty. With Mo and Sonora, I just made a pen for them in the bathroom and let them work it out. They didn't fight, but Mo never really liked her and he eventually was really mean to her (but that was a weird thing). With Sonora and Rusty, she wanted to be his friend in the beginning, but he was afraid of her so he boxed her. Now she holds a huge grudge against him and they hate each other. If I let them out together, she chases him and pulls his hair out. They have a big feud going on and tease each other through the bars all the time. I wish I could help but I obviously haven't had much success! www.rabbit.org has some info on bonding. So does www.bunnybunch.org Good luck!

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 01:03 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Caesar and Charlie were together, but we always had them in separate carriers when they went to the vet. Hope that helps.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 10:31 PM
Part of the Pack

Two males can peacefuly live together. But if yours cant you can have their cages once beside each other or have a larger cage with a divider in the middle. But you can supervice them when they are out together and see how they get along.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 03:30 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Ok the bathtub thing would be my first recommendation. The idea is to have them in a neutral environment, one where neither of them have smells so they can't claim it as theirs and the bathtub is an easy place to seperate fights. Molly and Shadow were friends when they were scared (when Biscuit thought they were a game they'd huddle together in peace, but hate each other!) If they fight you need to seperate them again immediately. They can do damage to each other and they can do it quickly too! Been there done that!
The next option is to put their cages up next to each other...so they can smell each other. I tried this with Molly and Shadow for months after they were both speyed. It resulted in Shadow backing up into the wire that seperated them and spraying all through Molly's cage So be warned! I also tried switching them around...so each week they'd be in the others cage, to try and get them used to each other's smells.
I really wouldn't just put them in the cage together and see what happens....you are asking for a disaster imo. They can be very very very territorial with their cages and caging them together is the final step in the introduction phase!

If they do well together outside their cages then when it comes to caging them together I'd only be putting them in there when you were home to watch at first. If they choose to fight each other and you are at work, you may find yourself a dead bunny when you return. If they choose to fight they will fight to the death. So make sure that bond is as strong as anything before you leave them together unsupervised.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 04:59 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Red face

I have just introduced my new bunny Billy to the girls Amber and Jasmine! What I did was put Billy in their hutch, and they were outside it so they could see and smell each other.. Then I swapped them around so that Billy was outside.. I did this for about an hour, and then let him go.. They got on really well, and he loves having 2 girlies to cuddle upto..
I have another male bunny to introduce soon, but he is still too small, so maybe in a week or so!
I dont know if the reason they get on so well, is to do with the fact that Amber and Jasmine are both spayed?
Hope this helps?

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 02:09 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Mature (over 6 months) bunnies generally accept young bunnies much easier than two mature bunnies. I'd start in a neutral territory first, especially with it being two males (I'm really hoping you are lucky enough to have two males get along Mandie). shadow was housed with Rodger straight away and she was fine...loved living with him. We introduced Molly to her in neutral territory and she attacked her, and to this day still does. Their maturity changes that part of them.

Purple, when you introduce billy and harvey they'll probably be ok with each other...but just check on them constantly from 4 months of age, they could start fighting. I know the boy I paired with Rodger up with lived with him in harmony and then ripped all the fur off his back legs off one night when we were sleeping. They got seperated after that (we seen them fight the next morning too).

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 03:21 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSbunny
Purple, when you introduce billy and harvey they'll probably be ok with each other...but just check on them constantly from 4 months of age, they could start fighting. I know the boy I paired with Rodger up with lived with him in harmony and then ripped all the fur off his back legs off one night when we were sleeping. They got seperated after that (we seen them fight the next morning too).
Thanks for the info Carmen!

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 06:08 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

no problems!!! I learnt the hard way

Tags
mini lop, netherland dwarf, neutered male, rabbit cage