JackPot has to go to a new home... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

JackPot has to go to a new home...

I was rushed to the hospital, I had some kind of attack breathing.
I choked to death almost i guess. When the doctor spoke to me i was out of it from the drugs. Still am.

Im VERY allergic to JackPot. He also has ringworm...too
I found him a woman who does rescues and said shed take him and treat him.

I have 2 ferrets, over 7 hamster, a chinchilla and 3 rats whod be at risk if I kept him....Im already infected....I feel so broken. So screwed over. Jacks getting a new home tomorrow...i have to find a way to quarantine myself from my pets who need daily meds already....

I give up. Someone out there wants my pets to get sicker and die. I give up. Im finding them all new homes after im sure they arent infected. Screw all of it. I aint nothing but trouble for them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 01:39 AM
Adolescent Pup

Aww, and he was so cute. But it's better for you to give him up to a good home that can take care of him instead of you being sick by him. I'm so sorry

You put a baby in a crib with an apple and a rabbit. If it eats the rabbit and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 04:10 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Yeah, i like that shes way more experienced that me too.
She has a ranch...where 29 of her bunnys roam an have a ac run shed house during the day.
Im happy with that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 08:30 AM
Rodentologist

While I appreciate your frustration, ringworm is easily manageable and in no way should "cause your pets to die". Even if they all get it, you can treat it with athlete's foot medication that you can buy at the pharmacy over the counter.

The only way it can "infect" your animals is if they touch the rash. If you put a bandage on the rash and don't let them touch it, you'll be fine. I had an outbreak with 40 animals in my house and had it taken care of within a week. Frustrating, but in no way dangerous unless you ignore it as it runs rampant for months.

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-a...topic-overview

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Last edited by Jennicat; 07-23-2009 at 08:32 AM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 08:47 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I've gotten ringworm from a rat before. Treating him and myself it went away in a couple of weeks. It's annoying but not dangerous and you definitely don't need to quarantine yourself. No big deal!

Like Jennicat said, cover the rash when you handle them and don't let your pets touch the rash or anything that has touched the rash directly. Wash your hands often, especially after you have contact with your rash areas.

Maureen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Six new rats
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 10:16 AM
Adolescent Pup

((((hugs))) I hope you are feeling better and Jackpot gets a good home. It must have been scary not being able to breathe from the allergic reaction you got. And disappointing that an animal you love is dangerous to your helalth.

I also had ringworm once (from a cat) and it was a fairly simple thing to deal with. Most likely if you are careful your other animals won't get it. And in case you didn't know its a fungus - not an actual worm.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 01:57 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

I'm so sorry! I hope you're okay! I know the frustration you must be feeling, and just want to give up. I've felt it before myself. But all your animals love you and I know you love them too. You don't have to rehome them because of this, as everyone has said, it's an easily repaired situation. Don't give up! You'll regret it someday. I know, because I've done it. I lost 2 dogs that I had for 6 years, because I got stuck in a rut and just gave up.

I also have really bad asthma, and I'm allergic to my cat, if I don't take my medicine everyday, I can't breathe at all. So I know how scary that can be.

Don't give up! I know you can do this. *hugs*
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I think what set me off is that when I came home from my Moms I went up to my Dad freaking out a little and tried to tell him that I have ringworm and need to go to the doctor.
He then told me he doesnt have time for this. That hit me pretty hard, but then again my Dads a fat butt who only cares about himself.
Its funny but as soon as I told my teacher about it she was like "but oh if it was him youd never hear the end of it!"

Well what I mean is, between ringworm, pneumonia, hives, and broken elbows, I just feel like the world is conspiring to take them all down.
Ive kinda calmed calmed down (not really) but I feel lost and very agitated at nothing.

I have washed everything in my room. Carpet, any form of cloth, and so on that it could sit on.
Ive had it wrapped since last night and i pray that itll be ok. The last thing any of my animals need is ringworm. I went through my Dad cabinet and found some stuff, i have no idea if its working. But the Ringworm is spreading kinda quickly and it HURTS. If I had a credit card I could buy some pills for it online.

I already went to Walgreens, you have to be 18 to buy the pills. Other than that they have Jock Itch creme or whatever...Will that or Neosporin work?

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 09:19 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Buy Lotrimin or Lamisil. Those have both worked well for me. If you don't see those brand names look for the generic name. Lotrimin is a brand name of Clotrimazole and Lamisil is a brand name of Terbinafine.

It's a good idea to find the generic anyway as it's usually cheaper. Here is a link for Clotrimazole at Walgreens:
http://www.walgreens.com/store/produ...&id=prod401691

Maureen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Six new rats
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Okies, Ill do that.
Btw, i have seen you icon for who knows how long but it is still so cute.
Is that Apollo?

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 11:57 PM
Adolescent Pup

You can ask the pharmacist at Walgreens or whereever and they will tell you what non-prescription meds will work. I had it from a cat but only got one spot on my hand, my friend who owned the cat only got one spot on her arm so its not so contagous to be very worried about. One of my kids also got it & we don't know from what but it was only one spot on her neck.

Think positive - maybe you've had your share of rotten luck and there is nowehere to go but up now!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 08:21 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokuza View Post
Okies, Ill do that.
Btw, i have seen you icon for who knows how long but it is still so cute.
Is that Apollo?
That's Hercules. He was one of my first pair of rats. I joined PT when I had them and I've had the same icon ever since then.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 11:01 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

So sorry you have to rehome Jackpot. I also have allergies, although not really bad like yours. I wish I could have my rabbits in the house, but when I do have one inside for very long, I get sick, and I am sick of getting sick.

Ringworm will show up under black light. When my cat had ringworm, I used my "Stink finder" that I got from the pet store to check out my cat's fur.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Hercules is a very pretty rat. And Im feeling a lot better thanks to you folks.
I have covered by large band-aids and wraps and im using cream.

it itches. haha