is it just me or...... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

is it just me or......

are hay racks MESSY!!?
my bun has had her hay rack for about a month and its soo messy! anyone else have this problem? any other hay rack, or brand that is not messy? i mean, its probably just Ryo's fault... she pulls the hay out from the bars of the rack to eat it, and alot of hay comes following it... but right onto her cage floor. and Ryo is so picky and spoiled that if hay is on the floor she will not eat it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 04:57 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

http://www.qualitycage.com/chinaccess.html
I use a version of the hay rack on that page with little to no waste.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 05:56 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I agree, I have 2 and they make so much mess.. It all falls into their hutches and I may as well just put it in there instead of the rack!

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 06:16 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

My bunnies make such a huge mess with their hay, but I don't really mind. It's just a part of their wonderfulness, so it's okay.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 06:43 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I don't use hay-racks for that reason. I know my bunnies would just take all the hay out anyways .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 08:11 PM
Part of the Pack

i line the front of my rabbits' litter boxes with hay so they can nibble at it while doing their business, and i also put it in a dish on the other side of their cages.

as always- in the morning i wake up and all the hay is thrown around the center of the cages - which accounts for the rustling noises i hear in the night. my girls just love redecorating. hehe- bunnies are so funny.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 08:39 PM
Newborn Pup

I have that QC hayrack and the chins didn't use it. Good thing I saved it because the bunny uses it. It does make a huge mess outside the cage and also all the fines just sit at the bottom of the rack. I think it's still a good purchase.

My companions: Tyson and Stuey the chins, Timmy the Wabbit, and Calvin the RES
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 12:58 PM
Playful Pup

I don't use a hay rack, I put hay in the litter box she goes and munches on it there, of corse I clean the litter box every day so she gets plenty of fresh stuff. I also have some in one of her play boxes it doesnt make a mess at all. Its just a box with some holes cut out and hay at the bottom, then I have abig basket and I also lined the bottom of the basket with hay so she has plenty of hay all over the house with no mess maybe try that.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

thanks for the idea pixie!
soo its just not me who thinks hay racks are messy heh? may sound silly but i was wondering if maybe i wasnt using it right! LOL
i usually put a little hay in her litter box at night because her hay rack doesnt hold enough to last her all night. i wouldnt want to just put it in her box becuase she has like... two spots she goes potty in the litter box for pee, but doodles everywhere in it. so theres really no "safe" place to put the hay, unless i constantly change it. perhaps i could put some in her hide house. but like i said before she is so spoiled that she is hesitant about eating it off the floor! but thats just with the hay rack. i figure why she doesnt ever eat whats on the floor is that she takes out the pieces she doesnt think smell or look as good and discards them onto the floor. and of course she doesnt eat them because she knows i will just re fill her hay rack!
jeez she is soo picky and manipulative.
but thats why i have grown to love rabbits so much.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 09:39 PM
Playful Pup

Oh another idea to help you scrap the hay rack is for the litter box i read that they like to have a "kitchen area" in the litter box so on one end have more hay piled up than at the other end. I myself so this and have her food dish in there as it seems that she would only leave her "pills" lol poop when she was eating her pellets so I have the "kitchen area" in there and solved the problem. just another idea that plopped into my head

*~* JEN *~*

1 Bunny *Ruby*

2 Hamsters *Pesky* & *Hurricane*

21 Fish

2 Frogs

Tags
hay rack, litter box, litter boxes