Keeping bunny nails trimmed - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Keeping bunny nails trimmed

I was just wondering how people keep their bunny's nails trimmed. I have a nail clippers for kittens, but Mariska won't tolerate having her feet touched. With my rats I kept a bit of sandpaper under their water bottles and their nails were naturally worn down. Can I do something like this for my bunny? Or is there another way to keep her nails from being sharp and too long?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sophie the pitbull <3
Jayma the Holland Lop <3
Mariska the Holland Lop <3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 02:52 PM
Poooooppp!

You could take her to the vet, but it costs money to do that.. or just have someone help you do it yourself. Another good idea is to look up YouTube videos on how to do it, it isn't easy, but.. with practice it could be done, I'm in the same situation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

I've never heard of using sandpaper for rabbits, just for smaller animals. I don't think it would do much for rabbits and they also can have very sensitive feet, so I wouldn't want mine standing on sandpaper.

I think you're best bet is to learn to clip her nails. They don't usually like it, and it can be a pain, but with a little practice you should get the hang of it and be able to do it yourself. If you're really having trouble, your vet should be able to show you how to do it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 07:15 PM
Betta Bomb

I bought a manual trimmer. It spins really fast with an edge like sandpaper but not as rough. I used it on Akina and she didn't mind. I mostly use it for Coco's stubborn dew claws -_- All I can say is get bunny used to the clippers, burrito style.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 07:26 PM
Adolescent Pup

I had a home groomer come to my house and help me. I held Hamm on my lap and she clipped (he eventually fell asleep when she started his first front paw). I don't know if it'd be that easy on my own, though.

For my cats I bribe the heck outta them. Skooma was fine and I can easily do her front and back no prob with only one treat afterwards. Sugar has touching issues so, on top of training her to be touched, I trained her that no matter what she did, those nails were being clipped. A treat before the clip, waiting for her to go into trauma cat mode, then a treat after the fact. I still can't do her back nails but it's progress (it took a towel, me and the groomer to hold her down for those... she earned every penny of that fee).

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 07:35 PM
Poooooppp!

Bunny burrito with extra clippers! LOL

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 06:13 PM
Adolescent Pup

Have someone hold ur bunny for you while you trim. Just don't keep your face to close in case of kicking

Love Kodo too
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thanks for the tips, guys! I guess Mariska and I will both have to try our best to get through it

Sophie the pitbull <3
Jayma the Holland Lop <3
Mariska the Holland Lop <3
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 03:44 PM
Betta Bomb

Practice makes perfect