lionhead owners, help please<3' - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

lionhead owners, help please<3'

i need some information please guys/girls, i bought a baby lion head rabbit about a year & half ago! ,i called him rhino! and when he started getting older he started looking different, he never got his lion head mane; and he lost all his fluffiness! he actually looks like a normal rabbit now! does that mean he was cross bred? xxx

but i really wanted another lion head bunny, so my boyfriend went out and bought me another one, i called her domino! .she's mostly white with black rings around her eyes, black ears, and 5 black dots on her back! .i got her on the 25th may 2O1O! ,i'm going off the day i got her, so she'll be a month old on the 25 of this month, she's looking alot different to rhino! her ears are alot smaller, she's got alot more hair around her face and she so fluffy! so here's a few questions, i hope i can get the answers i neeed! & thank you<3'

- how long does it take for their mane's to be fully grown?
how old does the rabbit have to be for her mane to start growing and showing?
does the mane stop growing when the rabbit is fully grown?
what's the best fruit, veg, to give them for treats? .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

I have a lionhead...I'll see if I can help.

How long does it take for their mane's to be fully grown?

When I got my lionhead he was 8 months old and already had a fully grown mane. I'm not sure if the time it takes for it to be fully grown is the same with all rabbits, it may be more of an individual thing?

How old does the rabbit have to be for her mane to start growing and showing?

Some lionheads are really fluffy even as young babies. Breeders can usually tell even when the babies are a few days old if they will have a mane or not by their fur pattern. The babies who will have manes start growing their wool when they are babies, although it takes a few weeks for it to get really long. But I've seen 8 week old lionheads who had an oveous mane, although it wasn't it's full length yet.

Does the mane stop growing when the rabbit is fully grown?

Um it doesn't keep growing in the sense that it will keep getting longer and longer forever. It does eventually reach a certain length and then stay that length. But I wanted to mention that I gave my lionhead hair cuts before and his mane always eventually grows long again. I've heard some people say that if they loose their mane (if it's cut or whatever) that it will never grow back, but that has not been my experience.

what's the best fruit, veg, to give them for treats?

They can have the same fruits and veggies that any other breed of rabbit can have...here's safe fruit/veggie lists...

http://www.rabbit.org/care/veggies.html

http://www.rabbit.org/care/fruits.html

My lionhead is the pickiest rabbit I've ever owned. He's a really picky eater! He hates carrots, which I think is funny since everyone always thinks rabbits like carrots. Try different foods and see what your rabbits like. Just make sure not to overdo it at one time, or you could give them stomach aches. Give foods that are high in sugar in limited amounts.

And just to give you a little more info about manes...
http://lionheadrabbit.net/genmanegibbons.htm

Depending on what genes they get, lionheads can have no manes, single manes, or double manes. It sounds like Rhino may have gotten the genes for no mane, if he never had one. Him loosing his fluffyness could have just been him loosing his baby fur. Domino, since she has a mane, has either a double or single mane and will probably always have it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

thank you so much! you've give me alot of information, xxx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 09:18 PM
Betta Bomb

I'm assuming Domino is in your avatar picture, she looks SO cute!! Looks like she's wearing a hat! I love her! Many bunny hugs to her! As for Rhino, I'd love to see pictures of him too! I would be annoyed that I might have been sold a mix for a pure breed but I'm glad you love him anyway.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

-

yeah that's domino, as my avatar, i've uploaded a picture of rhino, it's not letting me post the photolink in my reply, so you can maybe check it out on my page, it's when i first got him{: .i'll get a more recent one today so you can see the difference he's changed colour to , he's alot more grey than anything now, but even the picture, you can see how different he looks to domino! but either way, i still love him, he's my little baby, i was annoyed to find out i was sold a cross breed to, but he's a fab rabbit, and many bunny hugs back, your animals are very cute! x
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator

Aw they are both really cute!

Lionheads can be purebred and have no mane. It just depends on what genes they inherit. However, Rhino's ears do make him look like he's some kind of mix.

Either way, both your bunnies are adorable!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
lion head, rabbit, rabbits