Litter - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Litter

Hi! What type of litter do you all use? And why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

I usually use Yesterday's News (the paper pellet cat litter stuff), because I have a long haired rabbit and things like carefresh get stuck in his hair.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 01:16 PM
Adolescent Pup

I use Carefresh, because it's the only bunny-safe litter available locally. I wish there was a store around here that sold Yesterday's News. That's what my sister uses with her rabbits, and I think it helps with litter training, because it's not so soft that the bunny wants to sit in the box all the time like a bed, not even realizing he's supposed to use it as a toilet.

--Fromper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 11:30 PM
Part of the Pack

I use Yesterday's News. It is quite cheap and easy to clean up.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 11:51 AM
Newborn Pup

I also use Yesterday's news after trying other brands. It is inexpensive, controls odor well, and safe for bunnies( mine never eat it and they tried eating every other kids. Around here you can get it at any grocery store or large discount chain store like Walmart or Target........Where are you from??
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 11:01 PM
Adolescent Pup

I'm in southern Florida. Given the large number of stores around here, you'd think I'd be able to find anything, but I tried several pet stores, Target, and the supermarkets, and none of them carry Yesterday's News.

I actually forgot to go back to Walmart to look there. I very rarely go there, even though it's open 24 hours, and it's only about a mile away. The last time I was there was the night I found Flash, when he was obviously hungry from being outside alone, and I didn't have anything to feed him but carrots, which I knew he couldn't eat too many of. I went to Walmart because it was the only place open that late and got him a bag of bunny pellets.

--Fromper
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 09:53 AM
Newborn Pup

They also sell a pelleted litter in pet stores like Petco that I think is made from recycled wood and safe. I am not sure of the name, but it was pricey and mine wanted to eat it......Maybe try Amazon.com and order the Yesterdays News in bulk! They have everything! I may try that too since I change all three litter trays every day.........
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 09:57 AM
Newborn Pup

Me again.....Yep Amazon has it! I should clarify that I use the cat litter version. Taht is what you will find in the chain stores. They make a small animal one and a special one for rabbits that I have only found online. I actually think they are all the same......Good Luck
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 10:28 AM
Adolescent Pup

Yeah, I've looked in the cat litter sections of stores. I'll have to see how much it costs at amazon. We're ok with the Care Fresh for now. Flash has stopped eating it like he did the first week, and it does absorb the smell pretty well. The only problem is that it's so comfortable for him to sit in that he thinks it's a bed, not a toilet.

--Fromper
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

If you can't find Yesterday's News - you could also use wood stove pellets. I don't think they usually sell them in the summer time, I'm not sure - but last winter I saw a huge bag of them at Wal*Mart for cheap. Maybe if you tried them and liked them, you could stock up in the winter time to last the summer months. I've been thinking of trying them but didn't last winter because I had so much Yesterday's News around that it didn't make sense to buy a ton more litter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 05:31 PM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonrain View Post
If you can't find Yesterday's News - you could also use wood stove pellets. I don't think they usually sell them in the summer time, I'm not sure - but last winter I saw a huge bag of them at Wal*Mart for cheap. Maybe if you tried them and liked them, you could stock up in the winter time to last the summer months. I've been thinking of trying them but didn't last winter because I had so much Yesterday's News around that it didn't make sense to buy a ton more litter.
I doubt if I'll find those here in southern Florida.

--Fromper
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

Guess not - but if you wanted to try then you could maybe find them online for cheap, I dunno!

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 10:48 PM
roo
Newborn Pup

eagle valley animal bedding..!

i am a firm believer! no pine or cedar, it's recycled sawdust, and it's about $6 for a 35lb bag!!

read about it here http://www.barbibrownsbunnies.com/animalbedding.htm

Tags
litter train, wood stove pellets