litter advice/ opinions - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2005, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

litter advice/ opinions

hello.

my rabbits - Thimble and Sniffles- go through litter like crazy! they pee so much! i was wondering if there are any ways to prolong the use of litter? i spot clean their litter boxes everyday and clean them completely once a week but it is getting SO expensive! For now i have been lining the entire box with Yesterday's News and then spreading a thick layer of Hemp bedding over that to make it cushy for their feet.

The problem is that they go thorugh it so fast and they get upset if their boxes aren't clean all the time- and they use all 3 boxes i have placed in my apartment! The Hemp litter alone is $9 a bag and i go through at least 1-2 bags of this a week! and then the Yesterday's News is like $12 a bag and i use more than half a bag of that a week!

Does anyone have any suggestions as to any other litters that are not as expensive, or any other litters that are longer-lasting? I don't think i can keep up with the litter costs the way i am using it now!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 02:54 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

There are some really good suggestions on the thread "Thinking of switching..." for cheaper litter. Look around for hay by the bale instead of hemp bedding. A farmer can get a whole bale of quality grass hay for under $3. I get mine from a friend who has horses, but there is a farm and garden store around here that sells it for $5 a bale. Some boarding or riding stables don't mind selling a bale to rabbit owners because they buy it in such large quanities. Good luck!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 04:27 PM

This isn't an ideal solution, but if you can get free newspaper from somewhere it will cut your costs down to $0 - but you'll have to clean the boxes a heck of a lot more often. (This is usually what I do when I'm low on cash)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 01:37 PM

i used newspaper with my rabbit for a while.... her FEET TURNED BLACK becuase of the ink
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2005, 04:41 PM

I use corn cob bedding, It absorbes well and is cheep, but it doesn't neutralise the smell
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2005, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

thanks

thanks.
these are all good solutions.
my rabbits just want to go to the bathroom everywhere! it's terrible! and they're both spayed too!

Tags
corn cob, corn cob bedding, grass hay, litter box, litter boxes