litter box help! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

litter box help!

I just got a 4 month old flemish giant. He's not neutered so i know that is part of the problem. He sleeps in his litter box and pees in his bed and poops in another corner. Im new to this so I'm not sure if I'm doing things the way I should. I have carefresh and hay in the litter box and his food dispenser hangs over the litter box bc I know they do there business when they eat..please help. What am I doing wrong??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 09:44 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

try putting his littre box in the corner that he poops in, and when u see poop put it in the littre box, neuturing him will definetly help this problem as well.

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 09:53 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Add more litterboxes for now, especially in corners. He probably won't be totally littertrained until he's neutered but it should help. Make sure you don't have Carefresh anywhere else, just in the litterbox. The litter should be unique to the rest of the enclosure.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Okay thank you! I'm going to try that. So do you think the carefresh is good or should I be using something else? I read wood pellets are good? Maybe I need something less comfy so stops sleeping in there?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 10:09 PM
is a little "special"

Carefresh is OK, but personally I prefer wood pellets. They control the odor the best!

No matter what litter you use, most buns will sleep in their litterbox. Since it smells like themselves, a lot of them find it comforting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Oh i see. I think ill try the wood chips next. The carefresh doesn't seem the mask the urine smell too much. I already have a date set to get him neutered so hopefully my litter problems will be fine after that what about peeing in his bed?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 11:14 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyluv View Post
Oh i see. I think ill try the wood chips next. The carefresh doesn't seem the mask the urine smell too much. I already have a date set to get him neutered so hopefully my litter problems will be fine after that what about peeing in his bed?
Jess said wood pellets, not wood chips . There are some brands that make it as litter, like Feline Pine, but a lot of bunny people just buy wood stove pellets. They're extremely cheap and make decent litter. I've been kind of broke lately so I've been doing a 50/50 mix of wood stove pellets and Fresh News (a paper pellet) .

Is the bed soft? I would just take it out. You could clean it with an enzyme cleaner (like Nature's Miracle) and try offering it again after he's neutered (a few months later when the hormones are gone). But some bunnies just always pee on soft things like that (since it's comfy) and there's no way around it. If he's sleeping in his litterbox, as most buns do, there's no need for a separate bed anyway.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 04:56 PM
Adolescent Pup

To stop Hammurabi sleeping in his litterbox I just bought him the exact same litter box, shoved it in a corner, and put his towels in it. He never sleeps in his litter anymore! I don't know if that will help, especially since he's unneutered but you could try it.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 09:07 AM
Newborn Pup

I am a HUGE fan of Feline Pine.. It's all we use around here and it works wonders. And if you find poop anywhere beside the litter box make sure you put it IN the litter box.

-SD

Tags
bedding, rabbit, training