Litter box training help? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Litter box training help?

Hi everyone

I need some help with litter box training Cookie & fudge please. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I just can't get them to use the litter box all the time. They use it occaisionally and I think that's probably just a coincidence that they happen to be sitting in it when they pee.

I keep moving the tray to the corner of the pen that they favour but each time I do that, they just switch corners and pee in a different one. I've tried leaving some of the soiled chippings in with the clean stuff when I clean it out so they can still smell it but it doesn't seem to be working.

It's driving me crazy because I wanna move them up to my room and build them a mesh cube cage but I don't wanna do that until they're trained.

Jo x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 11:28 AM
Adolescent Pup

What materials do you have in the litter box?

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 02:17 PM
Adolescent Pup

Oreo seemed to train himself quickly. I had him in a cage with the litter box on 1/2 the bottom, food/water on a 2nd shelf, and a box he liked to sleep in on the top shelf. For whatever reason he liked that arrangement and never went except in the litter box.
It took Coco longer but she picked it up herself when she was put into a BIG cage. She finally picked a corner so I put the litter box in that area. Even then when I put a cardboard box in there to hold hay she decided to pee in there for a while.
FYI, I ended up using rectangle plastic bins as litter boxes. I bought a corner one from the petstore & the buns decided it was a bed instead of littler box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

I just have wood chippings in the litter box. This is what I tried last night.......I put the chippings just in the litter box, (a layer of old stuff from their pee corner then put a fresh layer over the top) and left the rest of the pen empty apart from a small pile of hay around their hanging hay basket and a very smell pile of chippings under their water bottles (they tend to drip quite a bit). I left them like that over night and when I checked on them this morning, they'd used the litter box!! They'd still peed a tiny bit on the hay and on the wood chippings by the water bottles but i've never seen so much pee in the box lol. So obviously wherever I put chippings, they're gonna pee there. Tonight I'm gonna leave the whole pen clear of chippings apart from the litter box and see how they go. I was so proud them this morning lol.

Jo x
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 05:28 PM
is a little "special"

Are your rabbits fixed? How old are they?
What Ive found works best is a good size cat-style litter box. Put their hay rack over the litter box, and put some hay in the litter box too. Make sure theres plenty of room for them to sit comfortably in it.
Bunnies like to go the the bathroom while they eat, so this should help them get the concept of it. Keep putting their "accidents" in the little box too.
And take any other bedding out of their cage. If you have bedding in the litter box and in the rest of the cage, it just confuses them on there to go. Keep their cage bare-bottom, or put a rug or linolium flooring in it. Since bunnies like to be pretty clean, they wont want to pee all over their cage if it wont be absorbed.
I use compressed kiln-dried pine pellets for my buns, and it works really well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

They're 3 months old now and not fixed. I did notice a huge improvement overnight when I left the chippings out of their cage and only had it in the litter box. Once I build them their new home I'll get them a bigger box, hopefully in the next week or so
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 07:11 PM
is a little "special"

If they are that young and arent fixed yet, I wouldnt expect them to be perfect! But once they are a little older & fixed, theyre litter box habits will improve a ton

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 10:04 PM
Betta Bomb

Yes, give them time to get older. Possibly neutering them will improve this as well. I notice these corner ones are never quite big enough and to me just seem like a marketing ploy to sell them to people who keep rabbits in small cages and deem it as ok. The bigger the better! Line it with hay like Jess said and sweep up the "buttons" and place them in the litter so they can smell it. Keep it clean and they should naturally use it. Usually you can tell when they will pee in a no-no place, they will squat (and you may say well how the heck will I notice? And I will say Ive been there and more than once stopped Acacia from simply resting. They hunch their backs a little and its almost always in a corner or on a blanket or mat to mark.) Good luck!!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips everyone They've improved heaps in the last week, and are using the box most of the time now (still the odd puddle in the cage) when they're in the cage. They still need teaching not to pee everywhere when they're out for playtime tho lol
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 07:47 PM

Peeing during playtime could be just that they're trying to mark everything. They want to make sure everyone knows it's THEIR play area.

We were having problems with one of our bunnies always peeing outside her litterbox. No matter what corner I put it in, there'd be pee on the bottom of the cage - until I realized the problem was just that the litterbox was too small. She could fit in it just fine, but she'd back up a bit and stick her butt up to pee, and it would go OUT of the litterbox. So I switched to one size bigger, and she's been doing great now. Now, it doesn't even matter where the litterbox is - she keeps pushing it around to whatever corner (or even the center of the cage) that she wants it in, and then uses it there. After I clean it up I just put it back in the front of the cage, and she rearranges to to be wherever she wants it.

What I'm using is just a basic plastic cat box from a supermarket. It cost me about $4.50 - which is way less than the pet store ones are, and it works better. I threw the corner litter boxes I had away since they didn't work and they were too small anyway. I put some compressed paper pellets in the bottom and some hay ontop, and it works out great.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 07:10 PM
Adolescent Pup

I've noticed that every time I rearrange the cage the buns poop out of the litter box. I need to stop changing things...I think I'm done playing in there now - both are fixed so no more separating them (we thought we had a boy/girl pair) and I put a shelf in it.

Tags
litter box training, litter training