Litter training rabbits - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 03:51 AM Thread Starter

Litter training rabbits

Any tips on how I can littertrain my male rabbit? My female was "smart" & trained herself
I'm sure neutering will help (going to!) but any tips? Sites to recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 09:54 AM
Title Thief Victim

winter trained him self, but babs i just put her in the little box all the time and when she pooped on the floor id put them in the box..but I dont have bun buns anymore so i dont know any more tecniques...lol sorry hope it helps a tiddle bit

Carissasaurus Rex
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 12:11 PM

My make did well before neutering. I put hay in his 'potty' so when he is chewing on this he can go to the toilet at the same time (just frequently change the hay!!), i put a small amount of soiled litter in the clean potty so they associate the smell with where they toilet.

Dexter and Lily do use their tray but when they are out of the cage they have chosen a particular spot to pee on so i have had to place an additonal potty oin this area - no matter how much i trained they will not stop going there!!!

But yes, you are right, neutering will help greatly. Keep him off all soft furnishings also, my un-neuterued male loved to pee on the bed and sofa - not nice!!!

Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 03:55 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Neutering would definately help, especially if he's young. The longer you wait to git him neutered the harder it will be...believe me.

I would put hay or a hay rack in/near the litterbox. You can put a couple treats at first to tempt him as well. If you see him using the box give him a small treat or praise him . If he goes outside of the box clean the spot really well and put any stray droppings into the litterbox.

Also, try different litters because some bunnies are picky . Oh, and what sort of litterbox do you have? Get a really large one and don't bother with the tiny corner ones...I've never had a rabbit use one.

I have a different method I use with really stubborn (and usually male) rabbits which involves placing litterboxes in every corner. If he's really stubborn let me know and I'll tell you what I do . I sort of invented it because of Elvis .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami
Neutering would definately help, especially if he's young. The longer you wait to git him neutered the harder it will be...believe me.

I would put hay or a hay rack in/near the litterbox. You can put a couple treats at first to tempt him as well. If you see him using the box give him a small treat or praise him . If he goes outside of the box clean the spot really well and put any stray droppings into the litterbox.

Also, try different litters because some bunnies are picky . Oh, and what sort of litterbox do you have? Get a really large one and don't bother with the tiny corner ones...I've never had a rabbit use one.

I have a different method I use with really stubborn (and usually male) rabbits which involves placing litterboxes in every corner. If he's really stubborn let me know and I'll tell you what I do . I sort of invented it because of Elvis .
It's a large litterbox [cat one],the corner ones I didn't even look at,couldn't see either of my bunnies using it,but my rats do
YES,he's really stubborn.He will pee in every single corner he gets the chance to,it's insane.
My female is over a year old [not by much,she's tidy] but my male isn't a year old till this summer,& he's not clean
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 04:30 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyraver
It's a large litterbox [cat one],the corner ones I didn't even look at,couldn't see either of my bunnies using it,but my rats do
YES,he's really stubborn.He will pee in every single corner he gets the chance to,it's insane.
My female is over a year old [not by much,she's tidy] but my male isn't a year old till this summer,& he's not clean
Alrighty, this is my method for stubborn rabbits (though it'll work better when he's fixed):

Day 1- Place a litterbox in every corner of the cage. Hay should be put in all of them and you should try using a few different litters (like one can have aspen shavings, one can have YN, etc.). This is to see what kind of litter he prefers and where he likes to go to the bathroom.

Day 5- By this point you will probably notice that at least one of the litterboxes isn't being used as much. Stop putting hay in that box.

Day 7- Remove the litterbox that isn't being used and place a large food dish there instead or a different object that will block the corner. If he starts peeing there you'll have to put the litterbox back and wait a little before trying again.

Day 10- Once again, stop putting hay in the litterbox he doesn't use as much.

Day 12- Remove the neglected litterbox and place a large box or another object that will block the corner.

I think you get the point, hehe. Repeat steps 5 and 7 until there is only one litterbox left. Remember to have large, heavy objects in the corners without a litterbox.

After a couple of weeks you can start removing the objects that were blocking corners if you need to. Remember to always have hay in the box, clean any accidents really well, and place all stray droppings into the litterbox.

If at the end he is still using two or three litterboxes find the one you think he's using more and only put hay into that one. When he goes in the other ones dump the dirty litter into the one you want him to use.

I hope this helps. I made it up and so far it's worked with two rabbits...neutered males.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Thank you!! It certainly sounds like that will work
It sounds fun to do too,like a little game
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 04:43 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyraver
Thank you!! It certainly sounds like that will work
It sounds fun to do too,like a little game
Haha, I never thought of it that way before .

~Stephanie

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 04:59 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

My buns were the opposite. Oliver used the litter box retty much all the time before he was neutered. Ophelia was awful. She never used the box. She would pee on the couch in that room. By the way I put a plastic bed sheet over the couch and then placed a quilt over that. Then if she piddled I could wash the quilt and clean the plastic. Since I brought her home from her spay she has never not used the litter box. I would have never believed it would be that easy. I swear before I took her she piddle all the time outside the box. When she got home she NEVER pidddled outside the box again. I have no idea what did it. Maybe she was afraid we would have more organs removed if she didn't use her box.
Now I may find an occasion stray poo outside the box but that could be from jumping in and out of the box.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2007, 10:57 AM
Part of the Pack

When Lucky was first brought home, he always chose one corner of the area rug to pee when he was out even though he used the litter box in his cage quite faithfully. We put another litter box in that corner (which he used) even though it was only two feet from the litter box in his cage. Then he started using that one. In the morning he would be reefing on his cage door to be let out...he would immediately run to the litter box and do his business. He was holding it in all night...and was like a dog waiting to be let out to do his business. The litter box in his cage was hardly used. Slowly...we inched the outdoor litterbox towards his cage where the indoor litter box was and then were able to eliminate one of them. (He was also neutered during this time). To this day he rarely has any accidents. Yaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2007, 04:53 AM
The Title Fairy Was Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami
Alrighty, this is my method for stubborn rabbits (though it'll work better when he's fixed):

Day 1- Place a litterbox in every corner of the cage. Hay should be put in all of them and you should try using a few different litters (like one can have aspen shavings, one can have YN, etc.). This is to see what kind of litter he prefers and where he likes to go to the bathroom.

Day 5- By this point you will probably notice that at least one of the litterboxes isn't being used as much. Stop putting hay in that box.

Day 7- Remove the litterbox that isn't being used and place a large food dish there instead or a different object that will block the corner. If he starts peeing there you'll have to put the litterbox back and wait a little before trying again.

Day 10- Once again, stop putting hay in the litterbox he doesn't use as much.

Day 12- Remove the neglected litterbox and place a large box or another object that will block the corner.

I think you get the point, hehe. Repeat steps 5 and 7 until there is only one litterbox left. Remember to have large, heavy objects in the corners without a litterbox.

After a couple of weeks you can start removing the objects that were blocking corners if you need to. Remember to always have hay in the box, clean any accidents really well, and place all stray droppings into the litterbox.

If at the end he is still using two or three litterboxes find the one you think he's using more and only put hay into that one. When he goes in the other ones dump the dirty litter into the one you want him to use.

I hope this helps. I made it up and so far it's worked with two rabbits...neutered males.
great method think i'll use it when im due to start litter training mine

Come see more of my fur babies at

Tags
aspen shavings, hay rack, litter box, litter train, litter training, neutered male