Litter training with wire bottom cage - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Litter training with wire bottom cage

Hi again,
I came across an article somewhere which I was hoping to validate if its true. The article mentions that litter training with a wire bottom cage is usually harder because the poo dun stay on the "walking level" of the rabbit and hence doesnt bother the rabbit. Hence they tend to to poo everywhere in a wire bottom cage. Is this true? If it is, I think I will try to cover up the wires. I was thinking of using magazine pages. Is that ok? I know someone mentioned newspaper but I thot newspaper will make its paws all black. Thx in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 11:04 PM

Look at your rabbit's droppings...were are they most consentrated in the pan? I know Dutchie was on wire (till I recently took it out) and all his droppings as well as urine was concentrated in one area of the drop pan. Right beneath his hay basket. If you want to litter train a rabbit that is on wire, try putting a hay rack or wire hay basket above the area you want him to go in. Seriously!! It works! Both Lucky and Dutchie are litter trained and although occasionally a few droppings end up outside of the litter box, for the most part, they like building "Bunny Mountain" out of their poo Both rabbits have their hay racks above the litter pans

Tags
hay rack, litter box, litter pan, litter train, litter trained, litter training