lives up to his name - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Turbo's mommy.

Question lives up to his name

as you know, my rabbits name is turbo. he's super fast...when i sit on the ground he runs to me but when i try to pet him he runs away. is this a game or am i doing something wrong??

Turbo Bunny

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 05:28 PM
is a little "special"

Sounds like he wants to play chase to me Next time he does that, try following him... Smudge loves playing tag with me, LOL, but Im always "it"!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Turbo's mommy.

i need stuff for turbo to chew on ... i'm scared his teeth might be getting long....

Turbo Bunny

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 03:17 PM
is a little "special"

As long as he has hay, he should be fine. Hay wares down their teeth pretty good. But if you are still worried, try some apple tree branches.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pet_paradise_lp View Post
i need stuff for turbo to chew on ... i'm scared his teeth might be getting long....

Make sure he has plenty of hay 24 hours a day and also maybe try giving him some pieces of wood to chew on! xx
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Turbo's mommy.

he has a whole log (literally) its fresh wood thats been dried out for 3 years... i figure its safe for him.
i'll pick up hay next time i'm at the store.

anyone else think this chase chase is a game??

Turbo Bunny

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

He doesn't have hay already?

Hay is the most important part of their diet. He should have fresh grass hays (timothy, orchard grass, oat...) available to him 24/7.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Turbo's mommy.

he's fine until i get it.
they don't have hay in the wild...

he'll survive until i can get to the store.

Turbo Bunny

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator

You are risking your rabbits health by not feeding it the proper foods. Hay is very important for rabbits - your rabbit is not wild, it's a domestic pet and it is your responsability to take care of it properly.

Quote:
Perhaps the single most important item in the rabbit diet is grass HAY, and it should be fed in unlimited quantities to both adults and baby rabbits. A rabbit fed only commercial rabbit pellets does not get enough long fiber to keep the intestines in good working order. The long fibers in the hay push things through the gut and keep the intestinal muscles in good tone. In addition to keeping the intestinal contents moving at the rate at which nature intended, hay may also help prevent intestinal impactions caused by ingested hair or other indigestible items. (For more information on problems associated with slowed intestinal function, please see http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html)
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/diet.html

If the intestines are not in good working order, and the rabbit developes GI stasis, that is something they can die from and often times very quickly. Also without hay their teeth can become overgrown - this can cause them to stop eating and/or to develope abcesses and elongated tooth roots. Believe me, it's much cheaper to keep your rabbit constantly stocked up with hay than it would be for surgery to fix it's teeth or to remove a blockage because it wasn't getting the proper diet.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 10:38 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
They certainly have grass available. Hay is dried grass...

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Turbo's mommy.

he eats grass...

he's in no danger by waiting until friday.
this isn't my first rabbit. i had one a few years back who lived a healthy long life.
this is my most recent bunny...

i know his diet he's perfectly fine.

Turbo Bunny

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 03:50 AM

As for chewing things, I'm not really sure where to get things like apple branches here that haven't been sprayed, actually I'm not even sure where to get apple branches. But he doesn't show any interest in the wood chews I got for him, so as well as lots of meadow hay I give him a couple of carrot slices most days, and I also have these compressed alfalfa blocks - I know it shouldn't be a major part of their diet so I only ever give him one and it takes quite a while for him to chew it up. Judging by the green bits left all over the bottom of his cage he's not actually eating the whole thing anyway, just chewing it. And he has a carrot-shaped grass-fibre chew toy as well that rattles when he shakes it. Still I have caught him chewing on the edge of his litter cage and he loves nibbling my fingers though luckily it doesn't hurt.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 06:35 AM
Rodentologist

Quote:
he's fine until i get it.

he'll survive until i can get to the store.
They eat grass all day in the wild, not big hunks of wood.

Your attitude towards your rabbit is disheartening. He is your responsibility, and it's your responsibility to provide him with an ideal diet, not a diet he can survive by eating.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Turbo's mommy.

ok thank you.

Turbo Bunny

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Turbo's mommy.

i just got alfalfa hay today. i got a container to keep in his cage so that he has hay ALL THEEEE TIMEEEE ...
i also picked up some water vitamins.
would this be good to keep him healthy or is it primarily for breeding?

Turbo Bunny

Tags
bunny