A loppy. I want one. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 03:46 AM Thread Starter

A loppy. I want one.

First off, I don't think getting a rabbit would be an option right now. It will be in the future. Also, I want to make sure I can afford the vet bills. Right now with as many animals as we have it wouldn't be very smart to get a bunny. Just in case anything goes wrong ya know? We would pay for it of course but it would make the budget shorter. So its better to wait for an opportunity.

I've heard all the different types of lops...
Right now im thinking of a mini lop but really, I'm not sure.
When the time comes, Im going to go to http://www.rascallyrabbitrescue.org/ to get a rabbit. If they have any type of lop, its mine. Ha ha.

Whats your favorite breed of rabbit?

How about cages? Whats a proper size for a rabbit?
Mini and not.

What kind of cages do you guys house your rabbits it?
A hutch is out of the question in Arizona. Hed die of heat stroke.

What are the most common rabbit health issues?

Also, im pretty sure ive got food and so forth down.
Right now I have a years worth of timothy hay and aspen bedding in my closet haha! It makes my entire closet smell great! I love it!
I put my t-shirt in the closet on purpose so i can smell it even after 4 hours of wearing it. *sniffs self*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 06:40 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i am so glad that you are thinking about cost and if it is right for you! People don't do that enough!

I don't know buns well though so i will let someone else help you out

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

OMG I CAN POST LINKS AND PICTURES YESSSSSS. here. take the bunnies I drew for thanks of advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Cool pictures!

Yes vet care can be very expensive. When my Zeus needed surgery it would have costed me around $700 for just the surgery - which wouldn't have included medication and any future treatment that he would have surly needed. Emergencies can be expensive, so I suggest you either put aside some money in the bank or keep a credit card just in case. Bunnies are prey animals and hide their symptoms well when they don't feel good. Sometimes it's already an emergency when you first notice a problem and getting them to a vet right is very important.

I like the small breeds the best. My favorite is netherland dwarfs. Right now I have a lionhead and two holland lops, and they are all great too.

For cages, the bigger the better! My rabbits have a huge 5 ft tall 3 story cage and free range of our extra bedroom. Of course you don't need something that big, but get the biggest cage you can and make sure the rabbit gets plenty of free time outside the cage to exercise and explore. Some people think that smaller rabbits can get by with tiny cages, and that just isn't true. The smaller breeds are often more active and really should have the extra space to play and such.

I always keep my rabbits indoors. A lot of people use NIC (Neat idea cubes) to build their own cages. They are cheap and you can make some awesome custome cages with them. Look up "Neat Idea Cube cages" on google and you should get some sites with pictures and instructions.

The most common health issues can depend on what type of rabbit you have. For example, a lot of smaller breeds can get teeth issues because of the shape of their face. Lops can sometimes be more prone to ear infections because their ears get dirty and don't air out the way that other bunnies ears do. GI problems can be deadly and can happen no matter what breed you have, so make sure you moniter their food intake and ..output .

How long are you planning on storing the hay for? Make sure air can get to the hay and that it doesn't get wet and moldy. I store my hay in boxes with the tops open and in gaint tupperware storeage containers with the tops off. It does smell great, I agree! I loove how my bunny room smells, the hay reminds me of the smell of tea.

Good luck - That's awesome that you're doing the research before hand!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 12:30 PM

Dragonrain, do you know if any stores like Target or Home Depot sell NIC?
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 01:10 PM

Wow! I like your sketches very much! It really captures the movements and the fluffyness of rabbits. The one with the scarf is very cute ^^

I've never had a rabbit but I always wanted one since I was little, more than any other animal. I'm determined to get one when I am ready for it. My favorite breeds are english spot and tan but all rabbits are beautiful. I prefer breeds with short fur though.
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 03:22 PM
is a little "special"

Love your bunny sketches! I love drawing rabbits too, LOL
As for breeds, Im a fan of the bigger ones- Flemish giants, Rex, Lops, ect. My rabbit Smudge is a dutch, and Im a major fan of that breed. They are smaller (5lbs) but have the calm, laid back temperment of a larger breed. Well, at least mine do... All bunnies are different!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Dragonrain, do you know if any stores like Target or Home Depot sell NIC?
I got a bunch at Target before. I assume they probably still have them but haven't looked for them for awhile. I found some at Walmart once too.

http://www.target.com/Whitmor-Set-St...20cubes&page=1
http://www.target.com/Whitmor-Set-St...20cubes&page=1

Last edited by Dragonrain; 06-13-2009 at 07:36 PM. Reason: added links
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

@DragonRain - wow thanks for info!
I figured that GI tract issues would be a major concern.
Oh and they hay, its in an air tight giant bin. Just like yours. But the when i scoop out some for my chinny i always end of getting blades everywhere. Thus the smell.

@Everyone, thanks for the compliments. Right now, im talking to my Dad about money and so forth. He said this about it:

"if something major were to happen id help pay for it, however everything else is up to your and your budget."

Im going to do what DragonRain sugested and put a bit of saveings into play here. Im expecting atleast 500 from selling a new laptop so ill put that in there while im at it.

OH AND LOOK!
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/pet/1205560078.html
Im talking to this rabbits owner now, and as far as I can tell, HES A GREAT RABBIT. He has all those crazy shots rabbits get and his owner has taken very good care of him. Most of the photos ive seen of him hes actaully being tugged on by kids and hes just in a flopping meanwhile. I would easily pay anything for him.
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 10:28 PM
Super Moderator

Very cute bunny - He looks a lot like my holland lop Berry only she has more black on her. The two hollands I have both have great personalities - they are friendly and somewhat calm but still love to play with their toys and run around and play.

post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 10:29 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

He looks beautiful, but a rescue rabbit might be a better deal. Most rescue rabbits already come spayed/neutered. He looks a lot like the little male lop I am adopting, and he sometimes sprays things. I hope to have him neutered soon.

The last time I got organize-it wire storage from Target, they had changed their product, and some of the grids have wire that is farther apart and would need to be covered to keep a rabbit from getting his head stuck.
post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 01:22 AM Thread Starter

Well getting him neutered isnt the issue. I can do that no problem hands down. My vet has known us for years and offers us very discounted prices. Cool right?

However you are right.
I am looking threw rescues (i went to one today actually) but the issue is that most of the bunnies are paired also they are mostly special needs rabbit. If one isnt the other is.
Ive never even owned a rabbit before. In fact the only place I encounter them is at Petco.
I mean, im good with special needs ferrets and chinchillas but that's taken years to get used to. Plus hundreds of scares and scars. >_>;; Im willing to go threw those obstacles for a bunny of course, but im very afraid im going to mess the rabbit up more ya know? Id just feel like...if ruin the rabbit. Id neglet to do something he needs specaily that he would get with another person.
post #13 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 01:39 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

If a neuter isn't an issue, than the one on Craigs list is a good deal and maybe you should check into him. The background on this little lop looks like a good fit for you. He may not be with a rescue organization, but I would consider him a rescue, since he needs to be rehomed.
post #14 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 08:15 AM
Rodentologist

Most rescues will work with you extensively to find the right rabbit for you, and we typically don't release special needs bunnies to newbie owners because of the difficulty associated with them.

I'd go ahead and contact the rescue and let them know that you're looking. A lot of our more adoptable animals never make it online because we already have people that have contacted us and have applications in waiting for them! So you may be seeing only those that have been around for a while. Most rescues do like to pair up their rabbits because rabbits are an extremely social and gregarious species, possibly moreso than guinea pigs and chinchillas. They spend a lot of time engaged in play and allogrooming.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #15 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 04:02 PM
Part of the Pack

good luck- bunnies are wonderful animals. Like dragonrain said, vet bills can be CRAZY, but its worth it for sure. Before you get a bunny I'd suggest making sure that you'll be able to keep him through things like moving, new family members etc.

I think its awesome that you're going to get a rescue bunny

give your love no matter what.