Lops - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Lops

whats the difference between mini and holland lops? which is smaller?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

I have also read about netherland dwarfs--since i want a small breed--and have read that they are 'noted for their tempers.' should i worry that it will be mean?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 11:18 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Holland Lops are smaller (and both make excellent pets).

I actually have a couple of pictures that you could use as comparison.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...i/DSC02490.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...i/DSC02489.jpg

The black rabbit is a Miniature Lop, the grey rabbit is a Holland Lop, and the brown rabbit is a Polish Dwarf.

Netherland Dwarves are fine pets but they are indeed known for being a bit temperamental and skittish.

Honestly, though, you can't predict rabbit behavior very well based on the breed alone. It depends on the individual rabbit and how it was raised. Your best bet is to visit a shelter or go to a rabbit show--that way you can meet lots of rabbits and find one that you like .

Edit: By the way, I have a dwarf (some sort of mix, we're not too sure) and she's incredibly friendly and fearless. She doesn't fit the breed stereotypes at all . Just another example of how all rabbits differ regardless of breed!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 11:19 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

The general aspect of the Mini Lop is the massive, thickset body. Their shoulders are to be broad, well filled, with good depth and rising to a slightly heavier hindquarter which is deep broad, smooth and rounded; the lower hips should also be well filled. In general, Mini Lops are very muscular, compact and balanced. Does can have dewlaps but should remain balanced with the rest of the rabbit. - Shaped similar to a basket ball. http://www.rockinb.com/JakesHollandLops/…

Holland lops should be short and stocky. They should look massive. The shoulders and chest should be very wide, and should be almost as big as the hind quarters. However, they should not exceed the hind quarters. The hindquarters should be wide, and should round off very nicely . Holland Lops are to be muscular in appearance, but well balanced. A small simple dewlap is permitted in does. http://bensonsbunnies.homestead.com/mort…

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by effie92893 View Post
I have also read about netherland dwarfs--since i want a small breed--and have read that they are 'noted for their tempers.' should i worry that it will be mean?
It's really case by case. One of our netherland dwarves is mostly shy, but he's always curious and comes investigate me when I get close. The other one is a bit more aggressive, he's nipped me a few times when I haven't put the food in his bowl quick enough. They're both due to go in to get neutered in the near future, I'm sure that'll help with some of the aggression.

Size-wise, the netherland dwarves are smaller than the lops, but they seem more high-energy. Each rabbit will obviously have their own personality, but statistically speaking, a holland lop is going to be calmer.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 03:06 AM

"Rabbits For DUMMIES" ~Audrey Pavia

Smaller: the smaller the rabbit, the harder the rabbit may be to handle because small rabbits tend to be flighty and nervous. Although the 2 lb dwarfs are a problem to handle, rabbits that are 4-5 lbs are better choice for children.

Size:
  • dwarf is 2-3 lbs
  • small is 4-5 lbs
  • medium is 6-7 lbs
  • large is 8-9 lbs
  • giants are over 9 lbs
Lops:
English Lop - the ears of an adult English Lop measure 25 inces or more in length. Weighing approx 10 lbs, the English Lop comes in broken and solid colour patterns.

French Lop - The French Lop weighs in at around 10 lbs and comes in two colour varieties: solid and broken. The French Lop is a close relative of the English Lop, which was used in its creation.

Holland Lop - Also known as the Netherland Dwarf Lop, the tiny, compact Holland Lop is a dwarf breed of Lop. Same colours as the French and English.

Mini Lop - the Mini Lop was origionally called the Klein Widder when the ARBA recognized it, it's name was changed in the 80s. similar to the French Lop although it's much smaller at 5 lbs